I have a concern on mt heart rate

Options
1st of I'm a little over weight at 230 lbs but I'm more concerned with the fact I get winded rather easily. So I have a bowflex treadclimber TC20 and I'm starting out slow at 2.2 miles an hour but can't keep it going for the full 30 minutes and I have to drop the speed down to 1.2 to catch my breath. But my concern is more my heart rate at 47 my max is about 180 and I'm getting it up to 180 max and its staying there for the whole work out. Is this BAD? My chart shows it should be around 150 ideal but I can keep it there. Should I be worried?

thanks

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You should ask your Dr
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    The calculated heart rates based on age are just an estimate. If you are staying at 180, then that's probably NOT your max.

But yes, it wouldn't hurt to ask a doctor.
  • hellodmo
    hellodmo Posts: 23
    Options
    You CAN keep it there. Maybe 2.2 is too fast right now for you. Start at 1.6 and stay there. Climbing stairs is hard no matter how slowly you go.

That being said, if you can maintain 180 bpm for 30 minutes, and you recover rather quickly you're probably fine, and you'll find that over time 2.2 mph ends up easier and easier.

That being said, before doing anything that heavy, it's a really good idea to talk to a doctor to make sure your heart is in good health and can take the 180 like a champ.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Get your blood tested for haemoglobin levels, if they're low (like mine) your heart has to pump faster to carry the required oxygen.
  • PixieQueen25
    PixieQueen25 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    As everyone said go to the Doc to be sure. But sure signs your doing too much = light headed feeling, your chest feels like a hundred pounds, your breath can't seem to catch up.

If you have those symptoms go to Doctor anyways.

My max is 175 HR while exersizing and 80 sitting down. I am 216 pounds as of yesterday. But even at 175 i sometimes slow myself down due to my symptoms.

I also have palpitations that go along with other conditions that I have. But fully medicated the heart rate is still roughly the same.

Also.... once your body gets back in the habbit of working out again, your heart rate will get stronger.

My lil bro (24 but still little to me lol) was 230 when he started. His heart rate was over 200 with Asthma! He had to slow it down a lot.... but now His heart rate is 175 180 range max...and He is a lot faster in his work out and he has lost 15 pounds.
  • jmb6739
    jmb6739 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I echo talking to your doctor, but do have to agree with BusyRae, those charts are just a best guess. I've gone through the testing to figure out your heart rate zones, and my max is 215. Nothing wrong with that, it just is, I'm totally healthy and my doctor even reviewed it and said it wasn't a big deal or a sign of anything wrong. Zone 3 for me starts at 172, which is about the max according to the charts based on age etc..
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's almost certainly fine. But if it's going to bother you every time you work out then just see a doctor to get cleared.
  • Refrigerator1
    Refrigerator1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yep, first step is to rule out any health concerns, so check with your doctor.
    Heart rate charts are generic and are not always accurate for everyone. The best indicator of how healthy you are cardiovascular wise is your resting heart rate. The stronger your heart, the lower your resting heart rate. Google Karvonen formula. It takes your resting heart rate and age and factors it into the formula to get YOUR exact heart rate limits while exercising. The formula goes like this:

220-age-resting heart ratex60%+resting heart rate=low end for aerobic intensity
    220-age-resting heart ratex80%+resting heart rate =high end for aerobic intensity

Take your resting heart rate for a few mornings before you get out of bed. You need to calculate your heart rate for a full minute so you can count the beats for 60 seconds, or count for 10 seconds and multiply by 6 to get the full minute. Do this a few mornings and take an average of the numbers. Then use the above formula to determine exactly where you need to be.

Too much trouble you say? Then just use the following as a guideline:

Start with a 5 minute warm up. The goal here is to get the muscles warmed up and slowly elevate the heart rate a bit.
    Now, pick up the pace. If you are exercising aerobically, you will start to breathe out of your mouth and be slightly winded. That is around your low end of the intensity range. If you are mouth breathing and can only say a few words before taking a breath, you are in the high end of your intensity range. You want to stay so we here in the middle until you have been exercising awhile. Don't be afraid to bring speed up or down according to how you feel. Once you are done exercising aerobically, do a 5 minute cool down to let your heart rate come down and breathe normally. Finally, stretch your muscles and hit the shower. Job well done!!!
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor just to be safe.

However, I have a good resting heart rate (about 60) and I regularly work out around 160-180 and I'm 46. I have always just had a fast heart rhythm while exercising, even when I was at my peak of fitness and running 7 miles a day.

I think as long as you feel good while you are working out, that is a good indicator that all is well.