Help! feet killin' me after work! :(

Options
KMiYong
KMiYong Posts: 130 Member
Hey guys! I just need a quick tip... I started working 8 hours at a salad factory (well... we basically pack veggies into bags... lol.... but yah) and its a job where I have to stand for 7 hours a day, sometimes even more, depending on how long the factory keeps us there. (We don't really have a set time we go home... ^^")
However, after working for my first day my feet were aching so bad I almost threw up. I was barely walking on my way back home, it was terrible...

Today I'm off due to the pain still staying, which would be doubled if I were to work, however I have to go back tomorrow.

So umm.. anything you guys could help me with? tips? something?
I cannot really walk around while working, you have to stand at your station all the time while you clean the veggie \ pack it, and sitting down isn't an option unless its our break. I really don't wanna be fired, its a great place and I need the money...

Replies

• Geoj0
    Geoj0 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    put them under a running cold tap /shower or a basin or foot spa for a soak or wrap a cold wet towel around them and massage with oil or mint/cucumber/aloe vera cooling anti inflam moisturising lotions. have some ibuprofen for the oin and inflamation.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    What shoes are you wearing? Make sure they're flat, supportive and not pointed. Get gel insoles, they make a big difference. Think about getting support tights or anti DVT socks.

There are more ideas here:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Feet-and-Leg-Problems-if-Standing-for-Work

Feel better soon!
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I work retail and had the same problem for YEARS! I'd be limping within a half hour, and getting out of bed first thing in the morning was torture. Then my mom bought me a better shoes for my birthday one year, and you would not believe the difference it made. I had always bought my shoes where I worked (mass market- think athletic shoes for $20), and even the "good" shoes there would kill me after a few weeks. Then, enter the birthday present (I think they were Fila walking shoes) and the pain lessened dramatically, and immediately. After a few weeks, there was no more pain at all. Good shoes are an investment, but they're worth it in terms of pain. And they typically last longer! If you're cheaping out, that may be your problem.
  • andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    Good shoes do make a difference. If that's out of the budget at the moment, then gel inserts can help; they're available at any drug store.

You will get used to it, but it takes a couple of weeks or so.
  • Deestrong68
    Deestrong68 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I know of a Couple places that all their employees where this shoe. I have asked some of them wearing them and they said they loved them.

Worth a Look

http://www.zcoil.com
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    What type of shoes are you wearing?

You have to wear flat comfortable work shoes that are made to stand in and fit well.

I would highly highly recommend compression socks or stockings too. That is what airline stewardesses wear.

When you are standing there you can do some exercises like going up on your tip toes and rocking back on your heels pointing your toes up. You can point each foot out too not too hard though. You don't want to get a calf cramp. Check your posture too and make sure you aren't slouching.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Find a running shoe store. Most of them will measure your feet, watch you walk, and make a recommendation on the shoes you need for your feet and they sell insoles there too. Pricey but so worth it!
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    like everybody else has stated some inserts will do wonders. Every job I've ever had either involved being on my feet for whole shifts so i tend to spend a bit on footwear that is comfortable. At times when I'm required to wear heavy work boots the use of inserts have been night and day. For day to day activity I wear Nike's Lebron James line of sneakers. They are super ugly, but the the cushioning is out of this world. Its like walking on clouds. An alternative is to fine a reallllllly good best friend, or significant other and demand a foot massage. I know I know it sounds gross having somebody touch your feet, I hated the thought of anybody touching them, but seriously with the right pressure , and in the right spots, it's like an out of body experience after a long day of work.
  • nikkituck56
    nikkituck56 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    First, can you ask your bosses if you can use a black rubber mat normally used to reduce slipping on the floor? I know where I work (in a kitchen), that standing on a hard floor all day is horrible, but if I were to stand at one table most of the day, I would get one of these mats and it relieves some pain.

Second, I agree with getting a good pair of shoes, with a thick rubber sole. Anything that can put your feet a little further from the hard floor.

Third, if you have insurance, go to the doctor. My podiatrist has done wonders for my feet. I have plantar fasciitis and had to get a special shoe insert made that has helped with the pain. Now, instead of going home and having to sit the rest of the night, I can go home and walk 4 miles.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Have to say that the shoes are the most important. Go to a good shoe store and explain your situation, a sales person should be able to find you something suitable. Not sure if this is possible but most places now that require people to stand for long periods of time should be supplying some type of rubber mat to stand on. Standing on concrete (I am assuming the floors are concrete) for a steady 7 hours is not ideal.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    It will fade away after a week or so. Try not to stand funny or your back will start hurting too!!

Also good shoes with nice soles help!
  • KMiYong
    KMiYong Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions <3
    I usually wear my sports shoes, they're not too cheap but not too expensive either.. uhm... the front tab says they're made by 'flight'
    I tried wearing my "skater shoes" but they were no help either... I'll check in stores on friday for some new shoes :)

about mats.. well saddly, they have no mats anywhere.. some people who stand on a platform (aka the cabbage workers) put some carton under their feet and remove their shoes, but I was standing on the floor. I believe it is concrete but I am not sure.

Will look for the insoles \ gel stuff.

thank you all so much again! that's why I lovveeee MFP :'3