Just can't grasp running! HELP!?

Options
jecka93
jecka93 Posts: 415 Member
Alright guys, need some help.
My boyfriend loves running and it's the only exercise he wants to do, we done Insanity for awhile but then he hurt his ankle and just cannot find the motivation to do workout programs now. :(
So I want to learn to run, that may sound stupid, but...
I'm a great sprinter, but long distance kills me!
I want to know if apps like 0 to 5k help by teaching you slowly over 4 weeks how to run, or should I just start running and walk when needed then start running again once I've caught my breathe? I really don't know what do to to get my fitness up
Help :(
Please!

Thanks!
- Jess! ????

Replies

• Luke_Luke_Luke
    Options
    The easiest way to start would be to go for a walk and run for a set time, then walk and repeat. You'll sooner or later increase the amount you run to the point where you wont stop running.

My fitness basically reset to zero when I was 19 after an illness and I did the above and it worked for me.

Haven't tried any apps/programs before but no harm in using them in conjunction.

Good Luck :)
  • gooserocks85
    gooserocks85 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way - I'd run for 5 minutes and my lungs would be on fire. I was convinced that I simply wasn't cut out for running. It wasn't till I tried c25k that I was able to run any kind of distance without feeling like I was going to keel over. The run/walk combination eases you into completing the distance without wearing you out.

When I trained for a half marathon earlier this year, one of the most useful things I learned was the "conversation pace" on my long runs. If I couldn't easily maintain a conversation with a running partner (ie gasping for breath or choking out words), that meant I was running too fast for the mileage I wanted to complete. It was a revelation; suddenly I went from barely being able to run 4 miles to running 7, 8, 9 and beyond. All I had to do was slow down a little.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ....we done Insanity for awhile but then he hurt his ankle and just cannot find the motivation to do workout programs now. :

I can understand that, the idea of prancing around in front of a TV fills me with dread. Distance running gets me in a wholly different place mentally.
    I want to know if apps like 0 to 5k help by teaching you slowly over 4 weeks how to run, or should I just start running and walk when needed then start running again once I've caught my breathe?

In principle either approach will work, although the snag that I can see with doing intervals based on rate of perceived exertion is that you end up not challenging yourself to pick up the pace. Using a Heart Rate Monitor can help, in that you watch your HR dropping to a threshold, and when it hits that threshold you start running again. A timed plan, like C25K takes the opportunity to take it easy away from you.

The planned element of it also gives some structure to your training, so that you know by the end of the programme you'll be running for 30 minutes continuously.

One of the main things to be aware of is your pace, in the C25K group on here lots of people ask questions about sustaining their run, and generally it seems that they're going too fast in the run phases, and burning out. Initially your run phases should be at a pace that you can talk at. Not a full blown discussion, but you can get a sentence or two out. That's a useful marker for your progress, as over time that pace will increase as well.

Personally I used the NHS podcast series; http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you trying to focus on building up stamina then interval training will help so couch to 5k will be useful, it does sound like you are fairly fit already though so I wouldn't go from week one. Pace is so important when building distance, don't worry about how long it takes you at first, just focus on building endurance, speed will come with time.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I think plans like couch 2 5k are great.
    I recently started running again after a long break. I'm doing walk-run intervalls with increasing amounts of running always for half an hour.
    Not the C25k plan, I just started with "1 min run, 1 min walk" in the first week (yes, I was really out of shape..), increase it to "2 min run, 1 min walk" in the next, and currently I'm at "7 min run, 1 min walk". I think once I get to 10 minutes I'll start increasing in 2 minute chunks, but we'll see.
    or should I just start running and walk when needed then start running again once I've caught my breathe?
    That does not sound too different to the walk/run approach. But for me having a plan to stick to really helps. I tried it without a fixed plan a while back, but then I'm always tempted to walk more than really necessary. Now I sometimes get to the point where I feel like I need to walk, but the clock tells me I have to keep running for two more minutes - so I keep going on, and realise that it is actually possible :-)
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread, she's an Ultra Runner and pretty much covers off most questions. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running?hl=so+you+want+to+start+running

Are you running far enough?? I really struggle for the first 3miles (5k races my times are shocking), however after about 3.5miles I've warmed up and hit my stride and can make up time.

The other ones people always talk about are John Galloway and Hal Higdon, google them and check their websites for more advice.

And you can't have a running post without asking if you have the right shoes that have been fitted for you after your gait has been analysed (the proper shoes make all the difference, I used to run the dry trails in my road running shoes and noticed a huge difference when I bought trail running shoes)!!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    C25K is a brilliant way to start. You may find the early weeks easy, but don't skip any, they really build up your base aerobic capacity. Many people find they need to repeat a week or two once the intervals get to 10 minutes or more.

Here's a link to my beginners' running tips:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

It sounds like the first one may solve all your problems with running in one fell swoop:
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Just do intervals of walking and running slow. C25K is a good program. Most people run too fast and that is what makes it hard. I would also make sure you have good running shoes fitted at a running store. Make sure you are doing some basic leg strength such as squats and lunge, high knees and may as well throw in some planks and pushups.

What makes running fun is when you can get to a point where 3 miles seems effortless. It is different for everyone, but the endorphins kick in and you'll be an addict.

I started 3 years ago after a heart attack and ran the Boston Marathon last week.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Slow down- that's typically an issue- slow down and run slower than you think you should. download a metronome if you have to (they are free).

I would suggest also- if you truly don't like long distance running.... then don't do it.

I used to run extensively- but I do not care to dedicated the time required- I'd much prefer a 45 min sprint work out than a 45 min run. I am physically cable of doing 2-3 milers even toss in a 5 miler if I'm feeling saucy and have a nice clear day- but I really just do not enjoy it as a regular regemine.

Just because HE loves it- does not mean YOU have to love it.

I also am not of the mind set that just because we go running together- we have to RUN together. Go to the park where you can run at your own pace but still see each other and high five/warm up and stretch together and what not. - you do sprints- he can putter about doing longer runs and you can meet at the end and call it a day.
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    C25k all the way! I would've never guessed in a million years that'd I'd be able call myself a runner! I'm just over a week away from being a c25k graduate. And already interested in 10 k. What's that tell you? :)

Any runners or c25kers add me if you'd like.

Amanda
  • jecka93
    jecka93 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses!
  • Grumbers
    Grumbers Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, I'd recommend hitting a pace you can maintain, however slow that seems. If one foot is always off the floor, you're running.

Like anything, you'll naturally want to sprint off at the start.

If you're in reasonable physical condition, your body will have a level at which is can keep going for probably an hour or two. You've just got to find that level.

It sounds silly, but you can probably run further/faster than you realise, but you need to start slow to find out! :)
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Agree with people advising you to slow down. I did C5K on a treadmill and then wondered why I was exhausted and couldn't run as far when I got outside, when I borrowed my husband's Garmin I noticed I ran a great deal faster without the pace setting of the treadmill and I couldn't sustain it for long.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    taking a nice and slow pace where you and him can carry a conversation for the entire 3.1miles should do it. then when you go for the second 3.1 miles you will get in your zone and just be in a happy place. at least that's how I do it. if I do the second 3.1 miles at the same pace I'm sure I can go for another 3.1miles. but I'm only going to extend my run by one mile for now.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Definitely C25K.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Take it nice and slow: alternate run:walk:run as needed, walk to catch your breath or when you get tired then run again. Jeff Galloway has a 5k training app for $3.99. Galloway helped me learn run:walk:run which works well for asthmatics like me. And don't doubt yourself for being a sprinter. One of my best friends was a decorated sprinter in high school and now he's a crazy elite ultramarathoner. It can be done. Jeff Galloway's books are wonderful too-check 'em out at the library or a running store. I use them a lot. Good luck! You can do it! :bigsmile:
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    if you are out of breath while running, you are running too fast. unless you are running from the cops then forget my last comment and haul *kitten*.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    if you are out of breath while running, you are running too fast. unless you are running from the cops then forget my last comment and haul *kitten*.

FYI, some of us cops run, too! LOL
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options

FYI, some of us cops run, too! LOL

I call running from the cops PRing my 5K. lol
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    If you are forced to walk to catch your breath, it could be you are running at a pace too quick for that distance. Simply run at a pace where you can still breathe and speak 4 or 5 words easily. Build up your distance gradually over time to build endurance. Once you have your distance mastered, you can work on speed.

I have heard a lot of great things about C25K, although I have never done it myself. I can say from my own experience that building distance is 80% mental and can seem intimidating at first.

Mike