coconut oil

Options
cychogal
cychogal Posts: 39 Member
I guess I've been living under a rock because yesterday was the first time I've ever heard the hype about this product.
I was intrigued and did some research. And as with most things, there are reports of how amazing it is, and reports of the harm it can do.
After reading different opinions, I have come to the conclusion that it's not likely to be harmful unless you start literally eating the stuff.
I have done the 'oil pulling' where you swish it in your mouth for 20 minutes are so. Not fun, but it you distract yourself with something, it goes by fairly quickly. And my mouth did feel really clean and fresh. And I did find some fairly solid opinions on the benefits of this. It's not a new thing, by any means, but I think it's having a surge in popularity.
I used it to cook my egg this morning.
And that's all I plan to do, unless I try it on my hair, or put some in my bath. I will swish it around my mouth every day, or every other day, and I will use it for cooking and try to consume some that way.
I know it probably won't make any difference with anything, but it can't hurt. And it's not an expensive thing to try. Also not nasty like the apple cider vinegar thing.
I try to never fall for trends and gimmicks. But as far as gimmicks go, this seems slightly legit, not harmful if you don't treat it like it's magic oil and over do it, and it's not gouging my pocket book.
Anyone else have any thoughts or experiences with this stuff?

Replies

• xrachel2014
    xrachel2014 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Heart UK, a UK based cholesterol charity released this statement fairly recently if anyone feels it would be useful :)

http://heartuk.org.uk/latest-news/article/heart-uks-statement-on-coconut-oil
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I don't use it as much for cooking, but I can tell you it makes a fabulous moisturizer! I thought for sure it would be greasy, and make my face break out, but it doesn't.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    eh, I cook with it, but that's about it.
  • leeshults
    leeshults Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My son suffered from a rash across his back that he could not get rid of. He used coconut oil 2 times a day rubbing it on and the rash went away. I've never heard of "oil Pulling"....what in the world is that?
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I use it to make popcorn, and it's some of the best popcorn I've ever had. Otherwise, I don't use it very much.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Oil pulling is one of those gimmicks you say you don't fall for.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    The barest wipe of a coconut oil from a paper towel on my crepe pan gives me excellent chick pea crepes that release easily
  • JeniSue28
    JeniSue28 Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I'm trying the oil pulling, not sure if it is actually doing anything- other than leaving a coconut taste in my mouth (which is not that bad)
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Oil pulling is one of those gimmicks you say you don't fall for.

have you tried it?
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i did NOT like coconut oil, it makes everything taste sweet.
    I don't want my steak sweet, or my eggs, or my fries, or really just about anything else I cook that is not baking.
  • fauxpunker
    fauxpunker Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Use it for cooking now and again, but sometimes olive oil just can't be beat.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Put the coconut oil in your kale smoothies (with coconut milk & almond milk) and DRINK IT! :bigsmile: I cook with it too, even scrambled eggs-gives 'em an awesome TROPICAL flavor! :glasses: It's great with mango. I even brushed mahi-mahi with it before cooking it this week. Don't make me drool over coconut oil at work when I don't have any here. :wink:
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of oil pulling either.

The fat in coconut is a medium-chain fatty acid, which have unique benefits. Some people love coconut oil and froth it into coffee or smoothies. (I tried it in a smoothie because I'm working to increase my dietary fat, but I barely noticed it so I didn't do it again.) What I do love is coconut milk--NOT the kind in the dairy section, but the canned kind for cooking. A third-cup is about equivalent to a tablespoon of coconut oil for macros, but it's SO delicious.

I just finished my first can, and here are the ways I ate it:
    - 1/3 cup (serving size) in protein shakes/smoothies
    - 2.5 Tbsp added to some leftover Pad Thai, reheated
    - 1/3 cup with some sliced almonds and fresh raspberries
    - 1/3 cup added to malt-o-meal (like oatmeal), protein powder and strawberries

SO good, and good for me!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of oil pulling either.

The fat in coconut is a medium-chain fatty acid, which have unique benefits. Some people love coconut oil and froth it into coffee or smoothies. (I tried it in a smoothie because I'm working to increase my dietary fat, but I barely noticed it so I didn't do it again.) What I do love is coconut milk--NOT the kind in the dairy section, but the canned kind for cooking. A third-cup is about equivalent to a tablespoon of coconut oil for macros, but it's SO delicious.

I just finished my first can, and here are the ways I ate it:
    - 1/3 cup (serving size) in protein shakes/smoothies
    - 2.5 Tbsp added to some leftover Pad Thai, reheated
    - 1/3 cup with some sliced almonds and fresh raspberries
    - 1/3 cup added to malt-o-meal (like oatmeal), protein powder and strawberries

SO good, and good for me!

I'm going to have to try that. I've gotten the coconut milk from the dairy section and I didn't like it....seemed a little too weak or watery. I hadn't thought about the canned.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,991 Member
    Options
    Heart UK, a UK based cholesterol charity released this statement fairly recently if anyone feels it would be useful :)

http://heartuk.org.uk/latest-news/article/heart-uks-statement-on-coconut-oil
    And the politically correct steamroller keeps chugging along.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Love coconut oil as a beauty product. Have not tried as a kitchen staple yet. I use it for moisturizer, make up remover, hair mask and to make salt or sugar scrubs. It is amazing for sunburn relief. First use some vinegar compresses then smear on some coconut oil. Relieves the burn. I tried vinegar alone and it didn't work, also tried solarcaine, aloe with lidocaine and any other thing they sell. Nothing relieved the pain until I tried the vinegar/coconut oil combo. I also mix some with tea tree oil for my acne flares. Only moisturizer I found that doesn't irritate my acne prone skin.
  • _tigerblood_
    _tigerblood_ Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I put it in my coffee every morning.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking, but only when I want that kind of flavor in my food. I like it for Asian type dishes, but for my eggs, I'll stick with butter.

I had one brand of coconut oil that had zero coconut taste. The brand I have now has a nice coconut taste and aroma.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have used it in baking in place of regular oil - turned out well. Definitely a great moisturizer. My son has terrible allergies and his face gets chapped in the spring. I rub it right on his face and it clears it right up without any burning.

A friend made lipgloss out of coconut oil and crayons!
  • SlightlyMadman
    SlightlyMadman Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's still fat, and too much of anything is a bad thing, but coconut oil is wonderful for cooking in moderation. I'm vegan, and tend to use coconut oil where other people might use butter. It's great on popcorn (as has already been mentioned), and for sauteed veggies. It can handle high heat better than olive oil.