Confused with dress size please HELP!

Options
I've currently lost quite a lot of weight over the last 3 months from 13st 8lbs to 10st 7lbs I am currently 10st 7lbs in weight and 5ft 5 inches in height I am quite a curvy person what dress size would I need to wear? I am smaller on top and bigger at the bottom I would appreciate if I can get answers as I am not too sure what size of clothes to buy

Replies

• hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    have you tried... you know, trying them on
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    you could always take your measurements and compare them to the store/brand's size chart to see where you fall. If you're able to get to the store you could try on a couple of different sizes to see which looks best.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    You pretty much have to go try things on, since even within clothing brands, sizing can vary from style to style. If you want a general idea, try looking at the size chart on a catalog website. The ones on Amazon.com tend to be fairly accurate, from what I've seen, too.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

BIGBRAIN.jpg
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    It really can vary. I would recommend the same things others have said, trying the dresses on or at least going by measurements if buying online. Not every store, at least here in the US, has their sizes run exactly the same as another store. Since you're referring to weight in stones, and that's not generally a common thing in the US, I'm thinking maybe you're elsewhere (sorry, didn't look). That also makes a difference.

I'm the same height as you, weighing only a few lbs less, but my body isn't very curvy, I'm kind of straight up and down. I wear a US small or 6 in most dresses. But you said you're smaller on the top and larger on the bottom, that can also make a difference in what you buy, size-wise and style-wise. Not all dresses are flattering on my fairly straight figure.

Going and trying things on is really going to be the best way to find out.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry - I'm not trying to be snarky but how would we know?? Every body style is different. What might fit one woman with similar stats may be too small or too big on you. Best way to know - go to the store and start trying on. Start with a size smaller than you used to be and go down until you find one that fits!!
  • IndyCacher
    Options
    I get strange looks every time I start trying dresses on.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

BIGBRAIN.jpg

And I totally read that in his voice too :laugh:

To the OP: if you're trying to buy clothing online, definitely compare your measurements to the sizing charts most stores provide. If you're going to be in store, just grab a few different sizes and see what looks best! No one but you cares about what size your dress is, and no one but you will know unless you share that info.

Edited for punctuation :grumble:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Weight/height won't help anyone help you. You could get someone with the exact same height and weight as you who wears a different size.

Your bust, waist and hip measurements are more important for dresses. And then dress sizing can change not only from designer to designer, but from fabric to fabric. Or style. Etc.

Take your measurements. Post them if you wish and people might be able to help you.

Or you could just try on dresses to find out.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    The only thing is, though, sometimes even sizing charts may not help. At least, for me they don't. Right now I wear a size 14 pant (which on most size charts says 30-31 inch waist), but when I measure that tape sure enough SAYS 37.

Clothes sizing is frustrating, at best.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The only thing is, though, sometimes even sizing charts may not help. At least, for me they don't. Right now I wear a size 14 pant (which on most size charts says 30-31 inch waist), but when I measure that tape sure enough SAYS 37.

Women's pant sizing is a bit different than dress sizes. It's a known (and often talked about issue) that many pant sizes are based on the waist size, when many women have pants that sit closer to the hips. I read somewhere pretty recently that a 27" waist should fit a size 4 according to some vague "standard" or other. I have a smaller waist than that but can't get below an 8 in pants because of my hips.

Unfortunately, it seems like pants just need to be tried on or ordered/returned until the right fit is found.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options

Women's pant sizing is a bit different than dress sizes. It's a known (and often talked about issue) that many pant sizes are based on the waist size, when many women have pants that sit closer to the hips. I read somewhere pretty recently that a 27" waist should fit a size 4 according to some vague "standard" or other. I have a smaller waist than that but can't get below an 8 in pants because of my hips.

Unfortunately, it seems like pants just need to be tried on or ordered/returned until the right fit is found.
    +1 I have to get pants based on the hip sizing. My hips and butt fit into most size 6 (sometimes 4, sometimes 8, but usually 6) pants and jeans and they all fasten fine and I don't have a "muffin top." But if I went by waist sizing, I would need a 10 or 12 and they'd be falling off. It makes no sense at all.