A Little Discouraged

Options
So I started here on MFP about 4 weeks ago and lost 6lbs. I was so proud because I've tried so many things. (Atkins, weight watchers, just eating salad, just eating clean) and I either a. wouldn't lose the weight or b. just couldn't stick to it cause it was way too dramatic and far fetched. I love MFP because it's sensible and works great with my lifestyle.

I had a really bad weekend and gained the six pounds back! 4 weeks of work GONE in a weekend. It's totally my fault. I didn't keep track of what I was doing and I didn't have just one bad day, I had 3 bad days and they included some really terrible food. The good thing about this is I know exactly what I have to do to lose it again and keep going. I just feel discouraged and mad at myself that I had such a terrible few days. Does anyone have any tips for weekend eating? I work a pretty sedetary job and watch what I eat during the week, so when the weekend comes I'm out and about and it's a bit harder to keep track. Any tips or encouragement are welcome. I know this is a process, I just wish it wasn't so tough!

Replies

• _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt you gained all 6lbs back unless you at 20k+ calories. You may have gained some back as your initial weight loss may have been water and this gain is also water. Did you eat a lot of carbs and sodium? Did you drink alcohol?

Drink lots of water, watch the sodium intake and continue with your exercise. The weight will go back down!! Don't be discouraged!!
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Even I can't gain six pounds in a weekend. That's what, 21,000 calories over maintenance? You probably gained one, at most two pounds if you really went all out. The rest is water.
  • Skillzorz
    Skillzorz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You know, I didnt even think about that. I've been drinking quite a bit of water the passed few days
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Flush out the water retention with lots and lots of water. I'm sure you'll be back down in a couple days if you keep your sodium intake down
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Even I can't gain six pounds in a weekend. That's what, 21,000 calories over maintenance? You probably gained one, at most two pounds if you really went all out. The rest is water.

+1

Today is a new day. Keep logging. Drink your water. Watch your sodium intake. Don't give up!!
  • Skillzorz
    Options
    I completely forgot that I've been drinking a lot of water since Monday and I just weighed myself last night. The number on the scale really scared me into thinking it was all fat.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Flush out the water retention with lots and lots of water. I'm sure you'll be back down in a couple days if you keep your sodium intake down

This. Drinking more water after overeating, especially salty food, can help you lose the water weight. So even though it seems strange, chug more water than usual.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I completely forgot that I've been drinking a lot of water since Monday and I just weighed myself last night. The number on the scale really scared me into thinking it was all fat.

Don't weigh at night it will fluctuate a LOT. Weigh first thing in the morning for the most accurate weight! Don't stop drinking water - although it sounds weird - drinking water will help reduce water retention. Your organs and muscles need a certain amount of water to function properly. If/when you do not drink enough you will start to retain water to allow your organs to continue to work well. So take your weight, divide by 2 and that is how many ounces of water you should consume in a day (give or take a glass or two). When you work out your muscles will also retain more water to repair themselves - so again more water during and after a good workout!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You know, I didnt even think about that. I've been drinking quite a bit of water the passed few days

saying its water weight doesnt mean its weight because you're drinking water... it means your body is retaining water because you need to drink more...
  • Skillzorz
    Options
    Ahhh, ok. That makes sense
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I frequently (always?) gain a bit at the weekend. I just don't eat in the same way because my life is different than during the week - I eat different food, and might do more exercise. It always comes off, either over the next day or the next week. It doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong.

"The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it"

I also second weighing only once a day. I chart it using Excel, so I can see what's really going on wrt my monthly cycle and weekends etc.
  • Skillzorz
    Options
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it"

I also second weighing only once a day. I chart it using Excel, so I can see what's really going on wrt my monthly cycle and weekends etc.

I like this idea.