Tips for best Core Workout I can do in 5-10 minutes?

Options
The title more or less says it all - I alternate between cardio and strength training in the evening, but only have about a half an hour's worth of time to do it in. So, if I want to supplement my exercise routine, then 5-10 minutes in the morning a few days a week is going to be about all I can squeeze in.

My core area is in the worst shape; it's definitely my problem area - and while I know you can't spot reduce, I also know these are the muscle groups that need the most work, as evidenced by the fact my beginner's Pilates DVD puts me to complete and utter shame. I'm horrible at it. :)

I have limited space, and also limited equipment (I have resistance bands, and this twisty disc thing my mother convinced me to buy, which is supposedly good for toning the tummy/back area, but that's about it).

I do core exercises as sort of the focus of my strength routine, but I'm trying to figure out what the best combination of maximum workout for minimum time would be. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Doing Squats and deadlifts as part of a good lifting program should be enough work for your core. I don't know exactly what kind of program you are doing but you can probably throw some hanging leg raise in there. I haven't done any direct core work in such a long time since my program is focused on compound movements so i might not be the best one to give you more advice than that.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My favorite core workout is http://neilarey.com/workouts/bruce-lee-abs-workout.html
    You can look at them all and filter by abs/core (boxes to click at the bottom of the page), but Bruce Lee abs has really done the job for me.
  • sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert, but I have been doing some planks, pushups, crunches, and swinging a hula hoop in order to focus on my core. It seems to be working, because even though I'm not dropping a lot of weight, my hubby noticed that I look thinner. Also, making sure you stand and sit with good posture all day long will help strengthen your core a little.
    I do other cardio and strength training, but it really does not take long to do a few of these "simple" exercises every day
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Planks, side planks, planks with reach-under, Spiderman planks... see where I'm going here? :smile:

I also like leg-lowers and tables with opposite arm and leg raise - you've probably done it in Pilates.
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My favorite core workout is http://neilarey.com/workouts/bruce-lee-abs-workout.html
    You can look at them all and filter by abs/core (boxes to click at the bottom of the page), but Bruce Lee abs has really done the job for me.

Level 1 20, Level II 30, Level III 40, Bruce Lee 90, ChuckNorris OVER 9000!! :tongue:
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Level 1 20, Level II 30, Level III 40, Bruce Lee 90, ChuckNorris OVER 9000!! :tongue:

Hahahahahaha, yep!
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Doing Squats and deadlifts as part of a good lifting program should be enough work for your core. I don't know exactly what kind of program you are doing but you can probably throw some hanging leg raise in there. I haven't done any direct core work in such a long time since my program is focused on compound movements so i might not be the best one to give you more advice than that.

This may be a bit advanced but switching out perfectly weighted and balanced dumb bells and barbells for a sandbag at the end of your lifting routine would be perfect for a 5-10 minute "finisher".

By using a sandbag you are changing the load position, body position, stability of the load, and weight of the load which makes almost any compound movement great for not only your entire body but your core as well.

Some good core exercises with a sandbag include:

Zercher Good Mornings w/ Squat
    Plank w/ Lateral Drag
    Rotational Lunges w/ Around The World
    Grappler Twists
    Rotational Snatch
    Windsheild Wipers
  • shelbyforsquares
    Options
    Thanks guys, and forgive me for not addressing any suggestions directly, but I'm mobile at the moment.

Due to limited space, both in my workout space and my house in general, I'm not doing any lifting. I do have dumbbells, but have opted to focus on resistance bands instead since they take up less physical room.

It's really not at all an ideal workout space, but joining a gym is really not an option so I have to work with what I've got. Due to space limitations, exercises requiring equipment, while maybe more effective, are just not practical. (Maybe I can do imaginary hula hooping? Lol. It would look silly, but no way do I have enough horizontal space to hoop in! :) )

I also have no idea what anything is called, so I will have to look up all of these exercises and links when I get home. :)

Planks - this makes me laugh because it was exactly what I was thinking might be my best bet. No equipment, doesn't take up much space or time. I do them fairly regularly, but still utterly suck at side planks. Seems my sides and back are weaker than my stomach. Not sure how that even happens since they're all in the same general area, but seems to be true.

I'm actually down 105+ lbs (some if them pre-MFP), but now that I'm on the tail end of my weight loss, it's becoming apparent that just exercising in general is not good enough - I'm working on trying to streamline my routines to maximize efficiency. Easier said than done. Still have a lot to learn. lol.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Set the treadmill on an incline and you will feel it for sure!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Just start with lying leg raises.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I def second the planks. All kinds of planks including walking planks. And I would also throw in some prone jacknives if you have a stability ball. Pushups are also a good core/all body workout.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    http://www.equationsheets.com/LegendaryAbs.pdf

this is a pdf of a paperback book.

if you look the book up on amazon (legendary abs II) they ask $200 bucks for it! lol

it is very effective and over in 5 min or less
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    thats really just for the abdominal muscles themselves, the six pack

so its technically not the most idea 'core' workout, as that would involve back, etc.

but if what you really want is the six pack then i highly recommend it.
  • shelbyforsquares
    Options
    Treadmill in the dream world where I have one, or anywhere to put one. :).

Leg raises might be good. I do some leg lifts, but I don't think the kind you're referring to. (Will have to Google later). Thanks.

Edit: six pack isn't a priority, strengthening and toning my super flabby midsection is. Basically aiming to focus a bit on my weakest muscle group to get it up to snuff with the rest of me.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    i guess that means you are focusing on strengthening your entire core. in that case make sure you do some lower back and oblique work as well.

but what i posted still very much support that goal as well as the planking
  • shelbyforsquares
    Options
    Basically. I'm in the middle of analyzing and altering my entire routine to cater to my current fitness level and needs.

So while some suggestions might better suit an early AM quick workout, the others are likely to be incorporated into creating a more well rounded strength routine for my longer, evening workout, so they're all useful in one way or another! :)