Looking for impossible food- help!

Options
I'm looking for food that
a) Tastes good
b) Holds you for a long time
c) Gives you lots of energy.

I work 5 hours straight doing rather hard work... And I find that I'm COMPLETELY sabatoging myself!! By the time I'm 2 hours in, I'm hungry, and need some energy so I'll have some horrible snack like a chocolate bar because it gives me the boost I need and while it doesn't fill me, it fills a craving.

Help!

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Bacon and eggs. Seriously. Have 4-5 eggs and 4-5 slices of bacon. You'll easily be able to last 6+ hours.

It's only about 600-650 calories (even if you cook the eggs in butter or some bacon fat). Which you should be able to fit into most diets without a problem.

Edit: My estimates for the macros 38g fat / 43g protein / 3g carbs (526 calories + whatever you cook the eggs with). That's 5 large eggs and 5 slices of bacon. It's a LOT of food, and it will hold almost anyone over.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    so why not just take a 'good' snack... or enjoy the chocolate IIFYM?
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bacon and eggs. Seriously. Have 4-5 eggs and 4-5 slices of bacon. You'll easily be able to last 6+ hours.

It's only about 600-650 calories. Which you should be able to fit into most diets without a problem.

+1
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Once the chocolate fits in to your calories, it's not too bad.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I will take all your horrible chocolate.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sandwich with tomatoes and ham and the I eat ice cream.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    When i used to work long hours doing hard manual labour- I would pack in the calories by eating peanut butter sandwiches. Protein, fat, and calorie dense. Worked for me anyways.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Calorie load? Peanut m&ms. They are great for hiking all day. They have protein and chocolate. They fit in your pocket. They are yummy!
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    High protein helps regulate the feeling of hunger, so the egg and bacon advice is good. Low glycemic index carbs - that is anything whole grain (bread, oatmeal, brown rice) - helps delay the effect of the carbs, and so you have even blood-sugar for longer. And if you do rather hard work, you need to eat, so pack a slice of whole-grain bread in a little paper bag, perhaps with cheese or peanut butter. You can eat that as easily as the chocolate, but it helps keep your blood-sugar even, rather than the quick rush of the chocolate, and so it gives you better energy and makes the day more manageable. Or you can make a little snack pack of carrots and cellery - again, if you can eat the chocolate, you can chew a carrot.

After a while doing this, you will have a more even blood sugar level, and so it will be much easier to make smart choices about food, even if the calorie count isn't as low as you would like from day one of no chocolate.

Good luck!
  • vmisslin
    vmisslin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My go-to: steel cut oatmeal with fruit. About a cup of oatmeal, and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sliced up fruit (any kind). You can add a tablespoon or two of half-and-half too, and total about 300-350 calories.

The steel cut oats take some time to cook (about 30 mins) so I make a big batch at the beginning of the week and freeze it in 1 cup portions. That way you can take out 1 serving and microwave it fast in the morning (2-2.5 mins) and be able to get out the door fast.