Girls who lift

Options
agronx
agronx Posts: 42 Member
What is your average calorie goal? What have your results been. I have been doing cardio but looking into start using weights too.

Replies

• allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My calorie goals change - typically not high though, 1200. some days when I lift I try to eat just a little more so I have energy to lift heavy. Lifting weights is a GREAT way to get the shape you want. will build your shape faster than cardio can
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    My goal is set at 2000, but I get anywhere from 1500-2000. I've only lost 17 lbs in 5 months, but my body is getting leaner and tighter. I can definitely tell a difference in the weight room when I've only eaten 1500 calories, though. It messes with my strength a little.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I try to get at least 1700 but I'm more concerned with my protein goal which is 160g daily. The scale has been slow to change but I've lost about 13-15 inches all over my body in the past 12 months. Slowly but surely I'm getting there.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to add bulk (muscle), you should be eating at a surplus. So adding 200-300 calories to your TDEE. If you are eating at maintenance or less, you are not going to increase muscle mass. Your body needs fuel and protein in order to make those gains. What other people are eating is irrelevant to you. Calorie intake is completely bespoke to the individual.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 times a week and eat around 1800 a day, a little less on weekends, and have been losing steadily a pound a week.
  • MaddieCakes06
    MaddieCakes06 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 times a week and eat around 1800 a day, a little less on weekends, and have been losing steadily a pound a week.

Ditto. On lift days especially, you'll need to eat more for energy and replenishment.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I lift 2-3x per week and EAT about 1700-1900 cal a day. My cal goals are set at 1500, but I eat back some (if not all) my exercise calories!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1950, and I tend to lose well when I stick to my calorie goal. :grumble:
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I lift 4-5 days a week, my goal is set to 1400. Sometimes I eat more, sometimes I eat less. I don't usually eat back my exercise calories, and I TRY to stick to the fairly structured diet that was provided to me by my nutritionist/trainer. I have had the best results in the last 5 months of following his program. I've lost over 10% body fat and about 18 pounds.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I eat over 2000 calories a day (at maintenance), eat most of my exercise calories back

I haven't seen a huge change on the scale but have seen the inches just melt right off

Edit: lift 5 days a week with some cardio
  • danidaggers13
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1300 a day as that's my maintenance calorie burn. I then add in my calories burnt during exercise ( I use a HRM) . So it varies from day to day. Today it's 1998 because of exercise.
    I do HIIT 5 days a week using 15kg weights, I'm going up to 16kg next week. I also do an hour of cardio (running and jump rope) at the weekend if I feel I need it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting short term at 1400- eating back 50-75% of my workout calories
    Long term I'll be cutting at 1500-1600.

Bulking I eat over 2000 + eat back calories.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I lift 4-5 days/week. I eat 2,000 cals/day and have a "cheat" meal (although nothing REALLY bad) and a couple of cocktails on Fridays.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    ....are hot!
    Carry on ladies
    wqs7s.jpg
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    check out this group. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress they have a lot of good info.

I eat around 1700 on training days and 1500 on non training days. It's really important that you get enough protein.