Why do frozen veggies have more calories?

Options
While the 2 entries below look different they have been adjusted to have the same serving size. My wife mentioned switching over to frozen veggies instead of canned. Looking into it I was surprised to find that:

1 the serving sizes were not the same (makes no sense)
2 Once you made the serving size the same none of the nutritional values are the same... though they are close.

My Essentials - Whole Kernel Corn ~ No Salt Added, 0.5 cup 60 9 2 2 0 0
Birds Eye Steamfresh - Super Sweet Corn, 0.66 Cup 69 14 1 3 0 0

Anyone have any insight into this?

Replies

• fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Might be a different variety of corn?

"Supersweet corn are varieties of sweet corn which produce higher than normal levels of sugar developed by University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign professor John Laughnan."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_corn
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Could also be a question of nutrient density. Check to see if 1/2 cup of one weighs more than the other. I suspect the canned veggies are a bit more water-saturated, and it's even possible the nutrition content for the canned includes the liquid that the vegetables are packed in.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    The extra stuff added that the "freezing" process "kills".
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it's corn- who cares- you poop it out whole so don't worry about it and just eat up.
  • spideywebb77
    spideywebb77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    lol
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    frozen is thought to be a better choice nutrionally speaking. i've often heard frozen is as good as fresh. when something is frozen all the water in the vegetable gets frozen as well...so the calories per weight would be less dense. canning is a different process entirely (even if salt isn't added). the vegetables may be packed in water...but each morsel of vegetable doesn't retain its natural water.

(okay, i hope i didn't make that up...i think it is mostly true."

Edit: lol...i reread your post. you state frozen has MORE calories than canned? I have found that to be the other way around.
  • spideywebb77
    Options
    Might be a different variety of corn?

"Supersweet corn are varieties of sweet corn which produce higher than normal levels of sugar developed by University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign professor John Laughnan."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_corn

Awesome... I pick out a variety of corn with more sugar... You are probably onto something here. Thanks
  • spideywebb77
    Options
    frozen is thought to be a better choice nutrionally speaking. i've often heard frozen is as good as fresh. when something is frozen all the water in the vegetable gets frozen as well...so the calories per weight would be less dense. canning is a different process entirely (even if salt isn't added). the vegetables may be packed in water...but each morsel of vegetable doesn't retain its natural water.

(okay, i hope i didn't make that up...i think it is mostly true."

Heh.. I use "No salt added" variety's of canned. Guess what.. They still have a low sodium content. I think that means no salt added for flavoring. Canning still uses salt. One of the reasons looking into Frozen. My wife does not need any extra salt.