I CANT LIFT UP TOO MUCH WEIGHT :(

Options
I have just started to do weight training to shape my body but i'm not so strong so i can lift 30 lbs doing squat and 20 lbs doing deadlift and 40lbs doing lunges.

i work hard I fell so sore but i fell that these are not heavy .....i have seen people who can lift very heavy weight :(

Are these weight good or am i am slouch ?

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts at different weights. Only you can know how much is enough.
    You shouldn't base yourself on how much others can lift

Just make sure you have good form and go from there.

You say you lift 30lbs with squats and 20lbs for DLs.. with what exactly do you do these lifts? Dumbbells or preloaded bar?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Your muscles aren't conditioned to do it yet. And poundages vary from person to person. Don't compare yourself to others when it comes to lifting. Use weights that challenge YOU.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    heavy is completely relative.

And that's totally okay.

it takes time- everyone starts somewhere- just keep working at it- and it will get better.
  • INSANITYsh
    INSANITYsh Posts: 122 Member
    Options

You say you lift 30lbs with squats and 20lbs for DLs.. with what exactly do you do these lifts? Dumbbells or preloaded bar?

3 set x 15 reps......30 ibs SQUAT
    4 set x 15 reps.....20 ibs DEADLIFT
    3set x 15 reps......40 Ibs LUNGES
  • INSANITYsh
    Options

i do all with barbell
    3 set x 15 reps......30 ibs SQUAT
    4 set x 15 reps.....20 ibs DEADLIFT
    3set x 15 reps......40 Ibs LUNGES
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Is that the bar PLUS that weight? Because the bar weighs about 45 lbs and you should be counting that weight as well.
  • INSANITYsh
    Options
    Is that the bar PLUS that weight? Because the bar weighs about 45 lbs and you should be counting that weight as well.

yes there is the bar and then i add the weights.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    That means you are squatting 75lbs, deadlifting 65, and lunging with about 85.

Not bad. I suggest you do 5 sets of 5 reps. You'll be able to use more weight because you won't be doing as many reps, and you'll be able to advance your weights more rapidly.
  • INSANITYsh
    Options

Not bad. I suggest you do 5 sets of 5 reps. You'll be able to use more weight because you won't be doing as many reps, and you'll be able to advance your weights more rapidly.

ah ok because there is the weight of the bar
    So should i increse the weight and ant rsets but decrease the reps?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

The weight of the bar depends on if it is an "olympic" bar, or a "curl" bar, or something else. I have a bar that weighs 10 pounds and I have a bar that weighs 20 pounds, neither of these are standard oly bars.
  • INSANITYsh
    Options

The weight of the bar depends on if it is an "olympic" bar, or a "curl" bar, or something else. I have a bar that weighs 10 pounds and I have a bar that weighs 20 pounds, neither of these are standard oly bars.

i think that bar's weight is 10 ibs
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    are you using one of those small barbells from a body pump class? if so, the weight is negligible.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I started out a little weakling too :) Don't stress about it! You get stronger the more you train, just make sure you don't hurt yourself with bad form! :)
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    85lb lunges is pretty awesome!
  • twiglet1959
    twiglet1959 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i too have 'tried' to follow a lifting programme. I have only really been at it for 2 weeks.

I have problems in that i suffer with fibromyalgia and i also have a gallbladder problem which flairs up quite a lot. I don't wish to use these as excuses, but it is relevant info because if I don't do the exercises when I'm supposed to - its because I have had a flair from either or both which means I'm not really getting anywhere.

So the reason of mentioning all this is - I can only manage to lift the bar - NO WEIGHTS ( yet!!! )

I struggle to do one set of reps - never mind the actual sets. I can only manage say 3 - 4 or max 5 of the reps for say 1 set. I feel totally weak and as though i may never be able to do this. While this does feel like a huge negative to me, I am forcing myself to try and stay focused and just try my best and pick up where i left off. I think if I just give it a go its got to be better than nothing.

What do other 'lifters' think to this - am I wasting my time? will I eventually get stronger? and ultimately better. My reason for wanting to do this is mostly to actually help with the fibro... I have been advised that strength training is supposed to be helpful.

( sorry if it seems like I have taken over this thread, but it is kind of linked to what the OP is asking, we both have a similar problem ).
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    doesn't really matter.

'heavy lifting' is subjective. whats heavy for some will be light for others. as long as your reaching failure before say, 7 reps, you're lifting heavy for you.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mbjfbwVzvW1rbavngo1_500.gif
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

i think that bar's weight is 10 ibs

find out what the bar weighs...I have one that is about 17.5lbs and one that is 20...oly bars are 45lbs.

But the weight you are lifting is bar weight + plates.

And Heavy is relative as others have said...and if you are going for strength...5 sets of 5 reps and if you succeed you up the weight for the next workout by 5lbs if you are a woman..10 on DL's

edited for spelling