Divorced Without Any Real Friends

Options
gdc2506
gdc2506 Posts: 46 Member
Okay that isn't necessarily true, I have a handful of real friends and they are awesome, but it makes for a great acronym...

DWARF

Anyway, here's my story and my request for friends.

- I'm recently divorced from an unhealthy marriage and am now in a relationship better than I ever dreamed possible.
- I've a 21 year old son who bowls on a college scholarship, so I'm most often inside a bowling center.
- I've 2 dogs that think I'm the most awesomest food getter and door opener in the world.
- I play pool (billiards) a lot, 2 or three nights a week, not including practice at home.
- I'm an A.S.A. Slow Pitch Umpire and try to be on a softball diamond 2 weekends out of a month, and once a week.
- I'm on Indiana's State Umpire training staff, so I get to spend lots of time helping new officials learn the ropes.
- I'm also listed as an Umpire in Charge for Indiana, which means if I'm not on the field or teaching, I'm evaluating.
- My family lives 2.5 hours from me and I visit them a lot on my free weekends.
- I work for the state Dept. of Transportation as a CAD (MicroStation) Manager and basic IT geek.
- If you can't tell from the above, I travel, LOTS.
- The filter between my brain and mouth doesn't function properly. (I say lots of things I shouldn't)
- My sense of humor is very callous. If I see a spade, I call it a spade.

So, if you are also a DWARF, go ahead a friend me but be aware that I'm not available on weekends and evenings.

Replies

• robertdc50
    Options
    Already friended...sorry I can't add to your list :( I myself have been divorced 3 times, and it seems the Exes always get custody of the mutual friends, leaving me with only virtual friends like I have on here. Those friends often seem to be more supportive than the flesh and blood kind, BTW! I do have many acquaintances through work and family, but they're not the "shirt off their back" types. Oh well, good thing I like my own company a lot :)
  • gdc2506
    Options
    You bring that Fifth Wheel to Indiana and travel to ball parks with me, you'll make some new friends. Especially if the A/C works well.
  • ginnyntonic
    ginnyntonic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yeah I can relate to the rediscovering life after divorce part. Friend request sent!
  • robertdc50
    Options
    You bring that Fifth Wheel to Indiana and travel to ball parks with me, you'll make some new friends. Especially if the A/C works well.

One more year to full retirement, then you just never know :) Thanks for the invite...I feel like a song..."Indiana Wants Me" :) Seriously, I'd love to take in next year's Indy 500.
  • gdc2506
    Options

One more year to full retirement, then you just never know :) Thanks for the invite...I feel like a song..."Indiana Wants Me" :) Seriously, I'd love to take in next year's Indy 500.

I live about 45 minutes from the track on a normal day. 2 hours on race day. :)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm divorced and now raising our 5 year old twins who suffer from Cystic Fibrosis, completely on my own. He has started a new life, away from all this (go figure huh?). I don't have time for "real life" friends it seems, but I do keep close with those on here :)
  • robertdc50
    Options
    I get that :) Darn turistas!
  • gdc2506
    Options
    @MissAnjy: That takes some strength right there, some that I'm not sure I have. Hero status +5

@Rd50: That is actually one weekend that I try to make sure that I'm out of town! Far away out of town.
  • erelyl
    erelyl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ok if i send friend req's to you all?

I'm not technically divorced but we've been split for four years. I'm just waiting for him to spend his own money to file the paperwork. I'm saving mine for the celebration party afterward :)

I can't say he got custody of the friends because he didn't really have any, but all mine are busy with their own lives and families and social circles, a lot like me. We try to make time together but it tends to be just a few times a year at best.

I'm 39, have the sweetest 4 year old boy in the world, a beastly cat that sheds on everything including me, and i feel like my life didn't really start until the split happened. Now i have a great job, bought my own home last year, i'm a bit of a geek (Doctor Who, anything Whedon, general sci fi/fantasy/horror fan) love to read, have been known to write some very twisted short stories in my spare time.

I'm looking forward to a summer of backyard bbqs, lots of walking and hiking, soccer games with kiddo and all that good stuff.
  • robertdc50
    Options

I'm not technically divorced but we've been split for four years. I'm just waiting for him to spend his own money to file the paperwork. I'm saving mine for the celebration party afterward :)

I can't say he got custody of the friends because he didn't really have any, but all mine are busy with their own lives and families and social circles, a lot like me. We try to make time together but it tends to be just a few times a year at best.

I'm 39, have the sweetest 4 year old boy in the world, a beastly cat that sheds on everything including me, and i feel like my life didn't really start until the split happened. Now i have a great job, bought my own home last year, i'm a bit of a geek (Doctor Who, anything Whedon, general sci fi/fantasy/horror fan) love to read, have been known to write some very twisted short stories in my spare time.

I'm looking forward to a summer of backyard bbqs, lots of walking and hiking, soccer games with kiddo and all that good stuff.

I can't speak for anybody else here, but I can always use another Geek friend :)
  • robertdc50
    Options
    @MissAnjy: That takes some strength right there, some that I'm not sure I have. Hero status +5

True dat! Hear, hear!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Love the Acronym.

I don't 'fit'... I was there at one time, but back to married and now two little kids... full time (IT) job and making at go at a second career.

I love my on-line friends.

you can make that uniform look "HOT". Go for it!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

I feel the same in the regard that my life started when my split happened. I landed my dream job (one I had wanted since I was 7 and had worked towards since then), bought my house, bought a new SUV, lucrative job which enabled us to have family vacations (myself, my two kids and my parents). Life really took off for me after I got out of that disaster. Only thing i'm missing now is a new relationship.
  • mspiggy1178
    mspiggy1178 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning the divorce process now. Looking forward to new beginnings and many of the posts here are inspiring. It's nice to know that life is possible after divorce :). Sending friend request now.
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Join Meetup.com. It's free and will keep you very busy with plenty of opportunities to meet new people.
  • marygirl05
    marygirl05 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me i got out of my bad 8 year marriage last year. 2 kids one just turned 3 and the other will be 3 soon. I am now with a man that I love and I am so glad that I found him he truly has my heart and soul.
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    I'm in this club (less the without any real friends). I'm a rennie (Renaissance Faire performer) in my free time with a 9 year old son who I have technical primary custody of (it's close to joint but the way it worked out I have technical and I'm taking it). So during Faire season, when I can afford to, I'm at a Faire. Faire is where the family that isn't blood related is.

Avid logger on MFP and always looking for new friends. I'm at work right now so can't friend request but will accept all friend requests. I'll try to catch up on the making of requests at lunch.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have been separated since June 2013 with 3 kids and I am doing it on my own since we are now living on opposite coasts and he just doesn't give a crap. Plus I have moved to another state and just starting to make friends but not to where I go hang out its either online or at work. Would love more friends!
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Love your post. I'm not divorced but I don't have real friends and I travel for work all the time, so I sent you a request. I don't make friends or I think it's more like I'm a lazy friend and don't keep them long...

I'm new here and looking to get fit and healthy. It's a long road for sure and days like today it's nice to chat with others going through it.

Ugg these down days are killers! It seems like I'm never going to hit my goal... sigh
  • gdc2506
    Options
    So, some things have changed from my original post, but the DWAR and "friends an accountability partners needed" part still hold true. Friend me if you want...

gdc2506 wrote: »
    Okay that isn't necessarily true, I have a handful of real friends and they are awesome, but it makes for a great acronym...

DWARF

Anyway, here's my story and my request for friends.

- I'm recently divorced from an unhealthy marriage and am now in a relationship better than I ever dreamed possible. Update:I've been divorced and that great relationship isn't as awesome as it could hve been.
    - I've a 21 year old son who bowls on a college scholarship, so I'm most often inside a bowling center.Update:that 21 year old is now 26 years old and Head of operations for a large company
    - I've 2 dogs that think I'm the most awesomest food getter and door opener in the world. Update:Check! Still the same here
    - I play pool (billiards) a lot, 2 or three nights a week, not including practice at home. Update: This is still how I stay busy
    - I'm an A.S.A. Slow Pitch Umpire and try to be on a softball diamond 2 weekends out of a month, and once a week. Update:It's USA Softball now, I've reached the Elite level and get fewer assignments but the ones I get are a bit more prestigeous
    - I'm on Indiana's State Umpire training staff, so I get to spend lots of time helping new officials learn the ropes.Update:Check
    - I'm also listed as an Umpire in Charge for Indiana, which means if I'm not on the field or teaching, I'm evaluating.Update:Check
    - My family lives 2.5 hours from me and I visit them a lot on my free weekends.Update:I've since moved home so less traveling to visit
    - I work for the state Dept. of Transportation as a CAD (MicroStation) Manager and basic IT geek. Update:Jobs come and go, but other than a different employer its all about the same
    - If you can't tell from the above, I travel, LOTS. Not so muchUpdate:
    - The filter between my brain and mouth doesn't function properly. (I say lots of things I shouldn't) Update: YUP!
    - My sense of humor is very callous. If I see a spade, I call it a spade.Update:If anything, it's probaly gotten worse. LOL

So, if you are also a DWARF, go ahead a friend me but be aware that I'm not available on weekends and evenings.