When is a goal complete?

Options
13»

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    So it appears that I am the only one who thinks the spirit of some goals is enough...

However I do have to disagree with this comment personally
    If you can't do 20 consistently and consecutively, your goal isnt reached.

Mainly because some of my physcial goals are one-time goals. Just to say that I successfully finished one.

So I guess I'll try one set for my 20 double-unders before I call my first failed physical goal....

It doesn't matter if it's 19 or 20. I agree with you, OP> It's the spirit of the goal. You probably just chose 20 because it's a nice, round number. If you are ready to move on, then do so. Don't let other people decide your goals for you.

You own you!

I don't think anyone is trying to decide the OPs goals. She asked our opinion and most of us have a different opinion than the OP...that is all.

Funny thing is...this is what you wrote..."You probably just chose 20 because it's a nice, round number." You accuse us of deciding the OPs goals while you decide the intent of her words.

That's called common sense. Most people pick a round number. She can correct me if I'm wrong.

You're free to your opinion, I'm just telling OP that the opinion of others is irrelevant because her journey should be for her, not for any of us. Each of us has to make our own choices. Nothing will happen to any of us if she does 19 instead of 20, or if she does none at all.

You're right...nothing happens to us. She did however ASK for OPINIONS. That is what we gave.

NO ONE tried to set her goals. WE told her what WE would determine if it was US.

Why would she ask for our opinions if she didn't want them?

You get what you ask for in life...whether you want it or not. If you don't want it...don't ask.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    The reason why I said consistently is because I don't understand the point in reaching the goal if you're not going to push yourself. Are you aiming to do 20 and then stop forever, or are you going to aim for ~25 after that?

Two parts to this:

The consistently bugs me for some of my goals...like run a half marathon. Only need to do that once (just to prove to myself I can do it). Or finish an triathlon.

And the second part is NO I'm not stopping forever. It was a goal for a months improvement to be able to complete 20 consecutive double-unders. I'm sure that double-unders will be a focus goal again further down the road, but each month I change my focus to build myself as a more rounded athlete. Last month (March) was consistently hit a certain depth on squats. May is to move from the 12 inch box to the 18.5 inch box on my box jumps.

You can go through life saying that you ALMOST did a lot of things...

I almost lost weight...
    I almost got healthy...
    I almost did 20 double-unders...

Yet you never quite got there.

Which do you want to do...almost...or...I did it.

Maybe where you went wrong is not setting your goal at 20 but setting your goal to do it in a month. It is not how long that it takes you to do something but rather...that you did it.

IMO

Simply because...this was an opinion thread...

Whatever you choose to do...is really okay by me.

I still want to climb a mountain...even if that mountain is not the tallest...I have a ways to go.

My mountain is figurative...when I reach my goal weight...and I have learned to live...I will have reached the top of that mountain. Almost...won't be good enough.
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    HereWeGoAgain7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

The consistently bugs me for some of my goals...like run a half marathon. Only need to do that once (just to prove to myself I can do it). Or finish an triathlon.

So....if you run that half marathon, but only make it 13 miles and not the 13.1, is that goal complete? :wink:

I think if you set a number, then that number is your goal. It would be different if you said "I want to do more than I can do now". Then, 19 is definitely more than 0. When I was in counseling though, I was told to set a goal not related to the scale, but make that goal firm and specific. In other words, "I want to be better" is not a good goal. "I want to run 13.1 miles" IS a good goal because it's specific. Once I run 13.1 miles, my goal is complete.

Again the half-marathon is a concrete number. Standardized. So no...13 miles would not be complete.

If I had made my goal to do more than I could do now, then I would have stopped at 3...because it was progress. I set the goal/target high and on a very specific time frame. But I see your point...
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    Options
    You can go through life saying that you ALMOST did a lot of things...

I almost lost weight...
    I almost got healthy...
    I almost did 20 double-unders...

Yet you never quite got there.

Which do you want to do...almost...or...I did it.

Maybe where you went wrong is not setting your goal at 20 but setting your goal to do it in a month. It is not how long that it takes you to do something but rather...that you did it.

I set the time goal because I don't want to get super focused on only one skill. A basketball player that can only hit three-pointers is great...until they need to hit a free throw to win the game.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you set a solid number to reach and haven't reached it, then goal isn't complete. Lots of people have a tendency to confuse effort with actual results. That's seems the case here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

She stated that 20 wasn't intended to be a solid number from the beginning. That's what "the spirit of the goal" is all about. From her comments, she seems to be focused on improvement, and from her profile, her long-term goal is the Air Force fitness. I don't know if that includes "down-unders" (Hell, I don't even know what a "down-under" even is.) But she seemed to make it clear, at least to me, that the number 20 wasn't intended to be concrete.

The number was not intended to be concrete, but it was written that way. If I had written the goal as improve my double-unders, I would have stopped at 3 :tongue: I am still going to work on my double-unders, but am moving onto a new focus.

I do my goals the exact same way, so I know exactly where you're coming from. :flowerforyou:
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    Options
    Also, the comments here did push me to try on last time before I closed out the month of April...I managed to get more than 20 double unders...a couple of times so now fluke...:happy:
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    For myself, I agree with your friend. Almost complete is not complete. But it's your goal, so you can decide (hopefully in advance) what "complete" means (e.g. actually meeting it, within 5%, within 10%...?).
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

So....if you run that half marathon, but only make it 13 miles and not the 13.1, is that goal complete? :wink:

I think if you set a number, then that number is your goal. It would be different if you said "I want to do more than I can do now". Then, 19 is definitely more than 0. When I was in counseling though, I was told to set a goal not related to the scale, but make that goal firm and specific. In other words, "I want to be better" is not a good goal. "I want to run 13.1 miles" IS a good goal because it's specific. Once I run 13.1 miles, my goal is complete.

Your counselor may have told you that for your benefit, but that doesn't mean the counselor's advice is for everyone. When I was in counseling, I was told that maybe I need to quit my job, and I did. And it was one of the best decisions I ever made and helped me to quit the substance abuse I was into at that time since my job was the underlying lynchpin for my depression, which is what was causing me to self-medicate with alcohol and stimulants. Would "Quit your job" be solid advice for everyone else? I doubt it. I doubt that my counselor ever said that to anyone else.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Also, the comments here did push me to try on last time before I closed out the month of April...I managed to get more than 20 double unders...a couple of times so now fluke...:happy:

:drinker:
  • HereWeGoAgain7
    Options

Your counselor may have told you that for your benefit, but that doesn't mean the counselor's advice is for everyone.

See I took that a completely different way...I took this comment to mean to avoid not seeing the forest because of all the trees. Maybe my interpretation is off, but doesn't that seem to be a trend on the pages here...people getting so obsessed with a certain number ("magic number on the scale") and more advanced people trying to explain that not all goals have to be met perfectly and/or could be adjusted as needed?
  • GypsyPirate
    GypsyPirate Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Your goal was to be able to do 20 in a row. You have not yet done 20 in a row. You have come close to achieving your goal, you have not achieved it yet.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Wow a lot of responses while I was away from the computer. I'll go through for direct responses on some, but would like to modify my phrase...This is not a failure, it was progress. Thanks for calling me out on that one. :wink:

Calling this an aim for the moon, landing in the stars movement for the month.

:drinker: Except that my second attempt today I got 20, 24, 22, 19, and 21...so goal achieved. :drinker:

Congratulations!!!!!

I knew you could do it. :wink:
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It's easy - it is your goals. You decide.

I am an athlete (amateur). I have process goals and achievement goals. I have vague goals and precise goals.

As an example, I aim to complete a 15 km time trial in 20 minutes or less this season (45 km/h avg). That's a hard goal, you achieve it or not. I also aim to improve my power on the bike by 10%, but that reaches other limits and it's a "softer" goal that's more of a learning power. Same with performance in road races - too much crap going there to be too precise. But there's process goals like "not sleepwalking through a race" or giving up.

If you decide to cheat yourself, that's on you, too.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you put a hard number on the goal, then the goal isn't met until that number is acheived. Have you made incredible progress? Absolutely! And you should be proud. But I wouldn't move on to the next "goal" until I nailed the orginal one. That's me. I am looking at racing times. I have a goal of running a 5k in under 22 min some time this year. If my best race is 22:01, I'll know I came darned close, but didn't make my goal.
  • dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would say it's complete when you are happy, but I am happier setting more extreme goals and working for something
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Your counselor may have told you that for your benefit, but that doesn't mean the counselor's advice is for everyone.

See I took that a completely different way...I took this comment to mean to avoid not seeing the forest because of all the trees. Maybe my interpretation is off, but doesn't that seem to be a trend on the pages here...people getting so obsessed with a certain number ("magic number on the scale") and more advanced people trying to explain that not all goals have to be met perfectly and/or could be adjusted as needed?

To that, I think tycho_mx summed it up nicely.
    It's easy - it is your goals. You decide.

I am an athlete (amateur). I have process goals and achievement goals. I have vague goals and precise goals.

As an example, I aim to complete a 15 km time trial in 20 minutes or less this season (45 km/h avg). That's a hard goal, you achieve it or not. I also aim to improve my power on the bike by 10%, but that reaches other limits and it's a "softer" goal that's more of a learning power. Same with performance in road races - too much crap going there to be too precise. But there's process goals like "not sleepwalking through a race" or giving up.

That's exactly what I do. If I decide to do a certain program, like Couch to 5k for example, then I'm not done until I've completed each day in the program. In college, I majored in accounting, and numbers are my BFFs to be sure, but honestly, for some things, there is no need to place an exact number, but having one in your head helps you to stay focused. Like, you said if you didn't put the number 20 in your head, then you might have stopped at three. I do the same thing. These types of goals are for ourselves.

Sometimes having a number is good to strive for, and sometimes that number is concrete. Either way, your goals belong to you, and if you set a goal with an abstract (spirit) in mind, then you know when you've reached it, so the number isn't so important. You know that you worked hard, that you consistently improved, and that you've completed what you *actually* set out to do. Some people may not understand how you can place a number on something that, in your mind, is an abstract concept, but sometimes that's what we might need to do to stay motivated and not stop at three. :flowerforyou:
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    So it appears that I am the only one who thinks the spirit of some goals is enough...

However I do have to disagree with this comment personally
    If you can't do 20 consistently and consecutively, your goal isnt reached.

Mainly because some of my physcial goals are one-time goals. Just to say that I successfully finished one.

So I guess I'll try one set for my 20 double-unders before I call my first failed physical goal....

It doesn't matter if it's 19 or 20. I agree with you, OP> It's the spirit of the goal. You probably just chose 20 because it's a nice, round number. If you are ready to move on, then do so. Don't let other people decide your goals for you.

You own you!

Your goals are whatever you make them to be, and personally, for someone who has no idea who you are and what you've done to get where you are in this moment is being rather manipulative and somewhat callous by guilt-tripping you with remarks like, "If you're willing to settle...". It's BS, and don't pay attention to it. What matters is how YOU feel about it and whether YOU feel that you have reached a particular benchmark that YOU are satisfied with.

IMO - don't pay attention to any remarks that make you feel like you have failed in your endeavours. Like them, I vote to try and reach 20 if you want to, but it's your decision, so don't do it just because you're compelled by other through whatever negative experience you have felt - which, undoubtedly, you have felt, or you wouldn't say something like, "I'll try one set for my 20 double-unders before I call my first failed physical goal..."

Do what you want, and feel good about it. If you consider yourself done, then you're done - simple as that. Just make sure you have another goal ahead of you so you have that motivation to continue going forward.

All the best to you!!
  • Annie_01
    Options

Well...I might not be one of those "more advanced" people...I don't know.

Believe me...I have not set reached some goals that I have set. I have gotten either lazy...or...bored...with those goals.

Then sometimes it is because I set unrealistic goals and they need to be adjusted. However...if I change those goals then I never reached the first set goal.

So maybe I am not "more advanced" but I don't want to reach the end of my life and they write on my tombstone...she ALMOST did it. I don't know...maybe I am just the opposite of "more advanced"....maybe I am "primitive" instead!
  • nmcguier
    nmcguier Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Why not make your monthly goals a range? "I want to do 18-20 double unders". The low number is least number that you will be personally satisfied with and the top number is what you think might be possible, but you're going to have to kick your own butt to make it happen. I do this with my monthly goals: I will work out at least 4 times per week but I'm going to try hard for 6. None of my work outs will be less than 45 minutes, but I'm going to try to work through for 60 minutes a piece. I always try to be working towards the next base goal.