Weight Training Advice

Options
I want to work on my upper body, both my arms and upper back. Can I use 5 pound weight to achieve results? What are some good exercises and reps to do?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    what are your goals? build endurance? build strength?

why just upper body?
  • rplehal
    rplehal Posts: 4
    Options
    I want to build upper body strength and tone muscles, lower body as well but I have a better grasp on how to do that! :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you want to build strength no a 5lb dumbell will not do it.

To build strength you need a progressive load lifting program.

I personally use Stronglifts 5x5 which includes bench press, Overhead press and Rows all using a barbell and plate weights.

If you feel you are weak you can start with body weight exercise like pushups, chin ups, dips etc that will only get you so far...
  • StacyRenee77
    StacyRenee77 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Will 5 lb weights tone?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    What equipment do you have access to? If you have none, look up bodyweight exercises, which can be modified to make them harder as they get easier. You Are Your Own Gym is supposed to be a good one, but I'll bet youtube has a bunch. Like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdzasJklxw

If you have dumbbells, All Pro: A Simple Beginner's Routine is a good one. I modified New Rules of Lifting for Women to use dumbbells, too. I'm not sure if you can modify StrongLifts 5x5 or Starting Strength, you might need barbells. I haven't tried those.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Will 5 lb weights tone?
    There's no such thing as toning.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Will 5 lb weights tone?

If by tone you mean build muscle, only if you've never carried a bag of groceries or a purse.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Will 5 lb weights tone?
    There's no such thing as toning.

Thank you. Last time I said this I got flamed by everyone but it's true.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Will 5 lb weights tone?

i think what your really looking for to achieve this 'effect' is losing body fat which will be better done through dieting.

regardless of your goals, i don't think that 5 lbs can effectively work anyones back.

when it comes to resistance training, if you dont reach failure (the point where you can't do another rep with good form) then your wasting your time. can't think of a back exercise that you'd reach failure at a resonable amount of reps with 5 lbs.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I lifted 30-pound bricks in my yard all weekend long, and my upper back is STILL feeling it. Upward rows would be the most comparable exercise to what I was doing.

You won't feel it with 5-pound weights though.