Can whey protein help me lose weight?

Options
If I have a whey protein shake as a meal or post workout will that help me with losing weight?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you lose weight by being in a calorie deficet.

If that shake puts you over maintenance you will gain weight, if after that shake your are in maintenance you will not lose or gain, if after that shake you are in a deficet you will lose weight.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    no lol, weight loss comes purely from calorie deficit
  • ChristineMiller2
    Options
    No. And actually ADDING a shake of whey protein is a waste of money, calories etc if you a not a serious body builder. IMO Some may argue but adding these shakes drives me crazy, there is no point for most. Focus on calorie deficeit :)
  • chelseasans
    chelseasans Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    it depends on how you use it. For example, if your usual lunch consists of a 250 calorie sandwich, and you replace it with a 100 calorie protein shake, it will help you loose weight.

I dont eat enough protein so i recently added GNC's wheybolic all natural protein (which has no added sugar), and I have felt great through my runs.

Therefore, if your at a protein deficit it can give you more energy!:flowerforyou:
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    A whey shake is usually a "supplement" to help you reach protein macro goals for the day. They are high protein and low carb/fat. There may be some slight benefit to having some protein (be it a shake or a chicken breast or whatever) post-workout to help muscle maintenance, but for most people, overall diet and training consistency are going to be far more important. In a given day, try to get around 1 g of protein per lb of lean body mass to help retain existing muscle.

A meal replacement shake is not the same as a whey supplement. These MR's are calorie-controlled, macro-balanced shakes that are designed to be used as part of a diet plan to replace a complete meal. Personally, I prefer real food to these, but if they fit your lifestyle can be used.

But, to lose weight, you need to be in a calorie deficit. How you achieve that is up to you.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    No. And actually ADDING a shake of whey protein is a waste of money, calories etc if you a not a serious body builder. IMO Some may argue but adding these shakes drives me crazy, there is no point for most. Focus on calorie deficeit :)

LOLZ
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

LULZ- yeah no. yer wrong.

Not a serious body builder- still use protein.

it's delicious with my yogurt- gets me an added umph in protein- I'm aiming for 150 grams if not more- hard to eat that much chicken.

I think anyone drinking muscle milk and thinking they are going to get anywhere without the work is crazy- but just plain old protein- it's dehydrated milk- so it's just more flexible.

I drink milk too- so you think that because I'm not a serious body builder I should give up on that??
    badlogicisbad.
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    it IS helping me bc I don't get enough protein otherwise and that makes me have all sorts of cravings.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    It may help you loose weight but it will not help you lose weight
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    In short, a protein shake is only meant to help you meat your protein goals. I wouldn't meet mine without it. With that said, you would still need to fit it in to your daily calorie deficit in order to lose weight.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    My protein shake keeps me from OD'ing on carbs. Basically keeps me fuller longer so I don't overeat. Also, I get very little protein in my diet (still working on that), so the shake helps me hit my macros.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Spoken like someone who truly does not know the benefits of getting enough protein.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Protein will help keep you satiated longer so you aren't hungry and will help you build muscle if you are actively workout out.

Outside of that, losing weight is about burning more calories than you consume. That's about as complicated as it gets.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    In short, a protein shake is only meant to help you meat your protein goals. I wouldn't meet mine without it. With that said, you would still need to fit it in to your daily calorie deficit in order to lose weight.

Short and correct
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is a protein supplement. I enjoy a protein shake after I lift in teh mornings but it's not a weight loss supplement. It's protein.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options

LOLZ

Yeah, I concur!!!
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    This thread is hilarious. YES, protein can help you "lose" weight by making you feel full for a longer time. Because of this, you've less of a reason to eat. With less reason to eat, then you've a better chance of a calorie deficit. Of course, the deficit is what will truly create the weight loss. I think that's what you meant, anyway.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Chocolate protein powder mixed into greek yogurt. YUM :love:
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Ive been brought up eating chicken or fish only once a week,ie primarily vegetarian,so I add a protein shake to my daily intake to supplement the protein requirements,if your protein consumption is low,yes adding it will help stabilize blood sugar and reduce cravings and help you indirectly lose weight!
  • rplehal
    rplehal Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you! I also don't get protein in my diet which is why for me I think it will help!