Is it true you can eat normally and lose weight?

Options
I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I have heard from a lot of people that you can still eat what you normally eat just adjust the portions to fit within your daily calorie intake as long as you exercise.
This seems too good to be true. This is not to say that the normal everyday meal consists of unhealthy food, just a lot of food in general, both bad and good.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for an easy way out of getting healthy, I'm just surprised by how many people I know go by this idea.

thanks to any and all responses :)

Replies

• Sparklewolfie
    Options
    weight loss is just calories in and out. You could eat nothing but cake all day and still lost weight if you are using more calories than you are consuming (so either move a lot or don't eat a lot of cake). It's not healthy though :P

Of course you can eat "normal" food and lose weight as long as you are not eating more than you are using :smile: I think it is best to use "normal" food because this should be about learning to be healthy, not being on a diet forever :wink:
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    There are a number of highly successful weight-losers online who clearly think so (and have the photos and blogs to prove it). See for example http://www.344pounds.com/2009/03/you-cant-lose-weight-with-diet-exercise/ -- Tyler is a member here and started at 344 pounds. His entire blog, at least the "Basics" section is highly recommended.
  • goohan
    goohan Posts: 155
    Options
    what I've found is... technically, you can but your body feels a lot more hungary if all your calories go on 'empty' calories for example, a tuna subway is 450cal (thanks to all the mayonaise, the tuna part is only about 70 cal) but just a veggie subway is 220 calories, i switch between eating tuna or veggie sub depending on my calories but buth of them make me feel the same amount of full up. result... mayonaise doesnt do anything for you except put on fat and if you want less calories, you will get the same benefit from a veggie sub and a couple spoons of tuna as you do in a tuna sub with a lot less calories.

also things like sugar, sweets dont do anything for you, but fruit does and there are a lot less calories in oranges than there are in sweets and oranges give me the same 'sugar fix' as sweets does.

hope that helps but of course if you are changing your food intake, make sure you dont change it too quickly lol xxx
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever i want. I do try and make better choices. I just make sure i stay at my daily goal. Actually I have trouble eating as much as I am supposed too to support my workouts.
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    It is true as long as your calories consumed equal or or less than your calories burned. A deficit will get you there faster.

As far as health, however, WHAT you eat is more important than how much you eat. High fiber is one of the best changes you can make for providing your body a solid fuel source, make you feel full, lower your cholesterol and help your digestion.

Good thing that raw cocoa is high in fiber, iron and antioxidants. I have some form of chocolate every single day as part of my diet. I just eat the right kind (at least 70% dark) and in the right forms (sipping chocolate instead of candy and raw cocoa with stevia instead of hot cocoa).

I almost always have enough of a deficit to enjoy some type of decadent snack... Ice Cream or Popcorn and a Beer. The other night I went to the movies and had a large Icee and Medium Popcorn and was still in a deficit. But I was careful about my intake for my other meals.

The key for me is to make sure I am getting all of my nutrients. Iron and Calcium are the hardest since I am lactose intolerant and I don't do a lot of red meat. But I get at least 100% or I take supplements that day.

Protein can also be a challenge since I lift weights 6 days a week. I shoot for at least 100 grams a day. However, I have Whey Protein shakes if needed for supplementation.

It's actually kind of fun to try and juggle your eating schedule and content... adjusting as you go through the day... seeing where you can get your nutrients, keep your metabolism high and not feel hungry.

Stick with it and you will find your own little tricks that work for you. For me, it's chocolate. I HAVE to have it. So I have found ways to enjoy it in a manner that is healthy for my body.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I haven't changed the way I eat drastically. I still have frozen pizza once a week. Sometimes more. :blushing: I :heart: food. I'd be miserable if I had to give up carbs, or anything else I love, completely. I'm doing this to be healthy, and that includes my emotional health. If I feel deprived, I will fail.

I have noticed, though, that the more I exercise, the less I want to eat. I'd normally eat half a frozen pizza, then look at my plate and think, "Where'd it go?!" Now, I still might eat half that frozen pizza, but I'm not looking for more. And sometimes I have two slices and stick the rest in the fridge for breakfast or lunch the next day. I know a lot of my snacking was either for energy or out of boredom. What I'm finding is the more active I am, the more energy I have. And I'm not bored.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Over the long term, it has worked for me. It may have taken me longer to lose weight, but I've never restricted anything from my diet. If I want to indulge, I just make sure I exercise more. It's all about balance. I do try to increase my "healthy" foods (fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean proteins), but I have not given up desserts either.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I can only say that switching to healthy food totally improved my health, so now I know that I didnt have enough vitamins before. Now my body is really resistant to all kinds of stuff that happened to me at least 3 times a year before:D So I recommend at least trying to add more vegetables and healthy stuff...
  • beautyqueen1979
    beautyqueen1979 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I haven't dramatically changed how I eat and I've lost weight. Well, obviously it has changed but I have not cut out any foods at all. I still eat anything and everything I want to with one difference - I eat smaller portions of the unhealthy stuff and eat it less often.
    I do now eat more fruit and veg, but I certainly have not denied myself anything that I want.
    Oh, and if I am going out for a meal or eating something very high in calories (e.g. my love of dominos) I will exercise to fit it into my calories for the day. And drink a crapload of water!

:)
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    For more indepth on a different perspective check out eatcleandiet.com and drhyman.com for tons of information on the importance of eatingi healthy foods and eliminating processed foods particularly bad fats and sugars.

You can also search for Dr. Katz's response to the "twinkie diet" on huffington post.

A lot of people do lose weight by reducing calories but don't necessarily gain peak health.
  • BleacherAddict
    Options
    I dropped my calorie intake by about two-thirds when I started here, but I knew I couldn't completely change what I ate, or it wouldn't be something I could stick with long term. Now I pay much more attention to portion control (eating one serving instead of two or three) and picking lower calorie alternatives of the same (or similar) items. I still drink a soda if I want one, but it's diet instead of regular, and I still get fast food if I want it, but it's more like a simple cheeseburger or a few nuggets and a small fry instead of the super-size combo meal I used to get. Moderation is much more effective for me than a complete overhaul. I want this to be a lifestyle, not a diet.
  • uselessparadigm
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses, your input really helps me understand what to eat or what to change. I can't wait to start applying this to my everyday life :)