Anyone have any advice on how to get past my plateau?

Options
I can't seem to get past this 150 lbs mark.I'm working out 6 to 5 days a week and staying with in my calories with the exception of a cheat day (beer) on the weekend. The only thing I can think of is that I haven't been below 150 in years and my fat is holding on for dear life? Please help if you were able to over come a plateau on your journey and have some advice. I would be grateful for the any help.
Thanks!
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stuck?
  • WrkinProg55
    WrkinProg55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    2 weeks. But its feels like forever! Especially because i was losing like 2 lbs a week.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you've seen a drop on the scale?

How accurately are you logging your food? Is there anything you don't log (veggies, condiments, cooking oils, etc)? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your food portions?

Are you eating back any of your exercise calories and if so what method are you using to estimate your burn?

How big is your cheat day and are you logging it?

Would you be willing to open your diary for us?

It's possible that between the cheat day and little inconsistencies with logging, you may be wiping out your deficit. The first thing that I would do in your situation is to double-check that your numbers are all as accurate as possible.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    2 weeks. But its feels like forever! Especially because i was losing like 2 lbs a week.

Two weeks really isn't a plateau. Weight loss is not linear and it's very common to stall for a week or two due to the normal water weight fluctuations in our body. You could be doing everything right and see these kind of stalls.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with plateaus in the past, but mine have happened when going from low activity to high activity. It usually takes several weeks for my body to adjust.

A few thoughts for you:

1) You are undoing your weekly deficit with your cheats. It's hard to cut the calories but easy to add them back in. A few beers and a couple bites of this and a couple bites of that and you could be undoing a week's worth of work. Figure out how to rein in your "cheats" and maintain a good deficit. Work your beer and treats in if you must, but track, track, track.

2) Weigh everything you eat and record it accurately using the information for what YOU are eating. Just today there was a post from someone about using a food scale and discovering that they were off by 25% when they thought they were doing a good job of estimating.

3) I've heard some people say that they just can't seem to lose when they drink alcohol regularly. I'm not really a drinker, so I don't know from experience, but maybe cut it out if nothing else is working.

ETA: I just saw that it's only been 2 weeks. Weight fluctuates regularly and depending on how often you weigh, you might not be getting a good picture of your weight fluctuations and might just be catching it at a bad time. My weight will drop 2-3 lbs, go up a pound, stay there, stay there, stay there, then maybe go up again before dropping 2-3 pounds again. Depending on where I'm at in my cycle, I only tend to look like I'm losing weight half the month but overall I still lose a decent amount per month.
  • apgabriel915
    apgabriel915 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I haven't hit a stall yet but I've heard that changing your work out routine can be helpful. Don't quote me lol
  • WrkinProg55
    WrkinProg55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys good points! I needed that!
  • minischnauz4
    minischnauz4 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain and was so happy to see your post. I have been at 150 for weeks!!! I gain .6, I lose .6, repeat. I just can't seem to break this particular weight. I log everything and have maintained my calorie count with no cheat days and still nothing. I don't drink alcohol so that isn't my problem. I, too, am just sooo frustrated. I had been doing so well (35 pounds gone) and although I'm quite pleased at 150 it sure isn't where I want to be long-term. I have increased my exercise and according to my fitbit calculations (I don't eat back my exercise calories) I should be in a deficit to lose, but nothing moves the scale. It has been a month or more with this weight and it's just so very, very frustrating and discouraging to do what I know is right, but seeing no results. Let me know how you are doing and I'll keep you posted on mine. Maybe we can do this and get past this point together.
  • bhsishtla
    bhsishtla Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain and was so happy to see your post. I have been at 150 for weeks!!! I gain .6, I lose .6, repeat. I just can't seem to break this particular weight. I log everything and have maintained my calorie count with no cheat days and still nothing. I don't drink alcohol so that isn't my problem. I, too, am just sooo frustrated. I had been doing so well (35 pounds gone) and although I'm quite pleased at 150 it sure isn't where I want to be long-term. I have increased my exercise and according to my fitbit calculations (I don't eat back my exercise calories) I should be in a deficit to lose, but nothing moves the scale. It has been a month or more with this weight and it's just so very, very frustrating and discouraging to do what I know is right, but seeing no results. Let me know how you are doing and I'll keep you posted on mine. Maybe we can do this and get past this point together.

Same here .I am also stuck at 150-151 lbs from the past two months.I moved from US to India, I do' t think that is the reason.
    It is so discouraging and frustrating.But I donot want to lose hope. People say patience is very imp.Let us see!
    Count me also, let us do it together.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I found that changing up my routine and incorporating new/different exercises or cardio burns (think interval training) helped get me past the plateau. Good luck!!