Too much protein?

Options
Sometimes I find myself going over on my protein, and I was wondering if that was a bad thing, what the effects would be of going over, if any.

Replies

• bubblybabeuk
    bubblybabeuk Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Me too!!!

Mandy x
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Unless you're getting like 75% of your calories from protein, there is no real harm.
    There is such a thing as protein poisoning, but unless you're eating over 200g of protein in a day, this is highly unlikely. What happens then is that your body starts building up too much acid in the bloodstream, but you would have severe symptoms (headache, fatigue, low blood pressure and heart rate).
    [People on the atkins diet, though, are an exception, as their body chemistry actually changes due to such a low intake of carbs.]
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    click the link in my signature for any protein questions.
  • caseydarden
    Options
    Unless you're getting like 75% of your calories from protein, there is no real harm.

Second that...if you are going to go over on anything (fat, carbs, or protein), you want it to be protein (especially if you are exercising regularly).
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    People need to quit worring about going over PROTEIN and worry about going over total calories, sodium, and sugars(if it is not natural). Most People expecially women DO NOT GET ENOUGH Protien! Eat up
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Yo can over do it but that would be alot of PROTEIN
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Common symptoms you will notice for excessive protein in the body are bad breath, dark colored urine, or sweat that has a yellow tinge to it. If you have any of those signs, cut your protein down. Also, if you are prone to kidney issues, try not to go over the RDA of 10-35% of total Calories (This is grams of protein x 4 to get calories from protein and then divide by the total calories to get percentage.) or 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight for the average person (This amount goes up if you are weight training, but not for people with kidney issues!). Note that the number for body weight you multiply that 0.8 grams by is KILOGRAMS NOT POUNDS! This is a common mistake in calculations, so if you weigh in pounds, divide by 2.2 to get kilograms. For the average person, though, going a little over on your protein isn't going to be an issue, though.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    There's a couple of ways to calculated protein. The amount of protein needed is 10 to 35% of your total daily calories. You'll have to divide that by four to get the actual calories. I usually divide my weight by 2.2, and that will give you the amount of protein needed based on your weight. If you're sedentary multiple (weight/2.2) by .8. If you're on your feet all day plus you do a lot of exercises, multiply (weight/2.2) by 1.8. The rate, depending on activity level is from .8 to 1.8.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    I'm sorry. You'll have to divide by 4 to get the grams. Oops!!!
  • Courtney_Ann
    Options
    Thanks for posting that question because i was wondering the same thing. For the past couple days I have been slightly over on my protein, but fine everywhere else. I figured that if I was in my caloric range, it was fine, but was not sure.