So sore after squats.

Options
Hi,

I have been working out for quite a while but no matter what when I do squats, I am hurting so bad for a couple days after. I do them with weights. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? I try to add them into my workouts 2 or 3 days a week. I need advice.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what is "quiet a while"

most people find them unbearble for the first month- then it gets better.
  • kimmers1027
    kimmers1027 Posts: 122
    Options
    I have been working out for over a year. I still get sore. Is that a good thing?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    you been doing loaded squats for that long?

if you are doing loaded squats at least once a week, and have been all year- then no you should not be getting unbearably sore.

drinking water- eating enough- resting enough?

suffering from DOMS is typically when you do something you haven't done before/in a long while -and use muscles differently.
    that goes away with use... if you are having prolonged extreme soreness despite doing them lots- me thinks there is something wrong. And I would consult a physician.
  • kimmers1027
    Options
    That scares me. How often should I be doing them? I guess I do need to visit a doc. :(
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Are you warming up thoroughly beforehand? Do you stretch?

I usually make sure I am lightly sweating and then will do some extra work to loosen up my groin area (inside/back of the legs) as that is where I usually feel it most when I squat especially when I'm getting down deep like you are supposed to.

After the fact I will stretch again and will foam roll the area as much as I can stand it.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    At the very least, you should probably consult a good trainer or physical therapist so you can learn to squat without hurting yourself. I do have a few more questions...

Where exactly are you hurting? All over your legs/butt/back, or in one specific spot?

Are you warming up before you lift, and stretching afterward? Do you use a foam roller to help work out muscle knots? (For me, using a foam roller to loosen my IT bands is crucial to being able to squat.)

Have you been progressively increasing your weights and/or reps? If so, have you tried cutting back, and did it help?
  • kimmers1027
    Options
    I do stretch a lot. Before and after. Its frustrating.
  • kimmers1027
    Options
    Mostly my butt and legs are killing me. I started off with no weight at all and was doing pretty good. Then eventually added. I am currently using 8 lbs. I have consulted a trainer at my gym and he said I was doing them right. It hurts so bad that I cant sit. I love doing them and don't want to stop but the soreness is almost unbearable.
  • kimmers1027
    Options
    The trainer also told me not to stop doing them.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    You've been lifting for a year and you are doing 8 lbs??

Me thinks you need to talk to a trainer.

okay- back up- explain more.
    what kind of program are you on-
    or did you just make it up?
    or you talking about body pump class?

A progressive loading program for a year should have you easily at a body weight squat if not 200 or more pounds.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Seems very strange but if it's hurting that much I'd listen to him or maybe go back to bodyweight and up the reps slowly.

Eight pounds really shouldn't make that much of a difference. It sucks though, because squats are probably the single best exercise you can do and benefit your legs, core and your upper body once you start adding more significant weights.
  • kimmers1027
    Options
    Yes. Something is not right. The trainer I consult with is also a family member and has put me on a program. I have lost 29 lbs with healthy eating and exercise. I am now at a plateau but finding it hard to bump up my routine with the soreness. Thank You for your advice. Much appreciated. Something has got to give. I am making a doc appt. :)
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yes. Something is not right. The trainer I consult with is also a family member and has put me on a program. I have lost 29 lbs with healthy eating and exercise. I am now at a plateau but finding it hard to bump up my routine with the soreness. Thank You for your advice. Much appreciated. Something has got to give. I am making a doc appt. :)
    How many squats are you doing in a workout? I think the initial responses were assuming that you were doing something like 5 sets of 5 reps at a relatively heavy weight, but if you're using 8 lbs I think you're doing dozens and dozens of squats at a time.