Beginner, needs advice and motivation!

Options
I'm 36, I sit 12 hours a day at work, and after work I have no motivation to exercise. After work, I can usually be found at home cooking dinner for my teenagers or trying to unwind before bed.

I cut out soda's, most carbs, and sweets over a year ago but I havent seen results. I've tried meal programs, and recently I started the Advocare program but I didnt see any results other than an increase in focus and concentration.

I like to walk, jog, and sprint but finding the motivation & a pair of sneakers that arent painful are far and few.

I used to be a size 8 and now I am a 14 or XL. Its frustrating.... I just want to start seeing results and enjoy clothes shopping again.

My goals: Slimmer arms, tiny waist, sexy legs, and a few sizes smaller!

Replies

• UrbanLegend
    UrbanLegend Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know its a difficult task to motivate yourself to exercise after a long day, but trust me you can do it! Years ago i dropped a ton of weight while working 12 hour shifts and what i found was that on the days that I was the most exhausted and the least motivated, I seemed to perform better. I dont know if it was because I had convinced myself that "the sooner i got it over with the sooner I could go to bed" or not but it really did help me. I also embraced the slowcooker at my house so that I wasnt spending the evening standing in the kitchen cooking. I could actually go from work, to the gym or track for a run, then home to feed my kids. I hope this helps, just hang in there...
  • caseydarden
    Options
    Here's my advice. You say you like to jog?
    1.) Get up an hour earlier than you normally do. Drink some coffee.
    2.) Go jogging / running for about 15 minutes before you get ready for work. Take the weekends off.
    3.) Do that for about a month.

I know it sounds too easy, but the reason most people end up quitting is because they get in over their heads with a rigid exercise routine that they ultimately end up abandoning (due to pain, injury, inconvenience, etc.) You have to give your body time to adjust.

For the first month ...listen to your body...don't overdo it. Just do SOMETHING (that you like) every day until it becomes a part of your daily routine.

Casey
  • shellster74
    shellster74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello there, I too have been struggling with some of the same issues. I sit all day for my job and when I get home its cook, clean and unwind. Where is there really time for exercise or when do I actually feel like doing it. Mostly NEVER. So, I came up with a small plan as setting my goals too far out of reach would only turn out to be a failed attempt. I am doing this myfitnesspal and it seems to be helping with keeping myself focused on what I am eating. I must admit that I eat whatever I want, whenever I want. I learned that you have to tend to the cravings of chocolate or potato chips or else you will end up binging and all of your hard work will be down the toilet. So ya, back to my plan....I started eating breakfast (which I never did before), I eat lunch consistently everyday before my scheduled lunch break at work and then when I am on my lunch break I have a walking buddy. I keep her focused and she helps me the same. It seems to be working really well and then I don't feel so guilty after work for not exercising in the evening. I also snack in the afternoon at work but it is mostly a granola bar or these great "chips" called Veggie Straws. I have cut out eating past 8pm as I know one of my worst habits was late night snacking. As per any other changes I can only say that I make better choices now because I am more aware of what I am eating. So almost 2 months into this and I have lost 22 pnds. I have not seen any drastic changes for the past couple of weeks but I also read that your body needs changes every few weeks so I decided I am going to change my walking route for a change in scenery. It's amazing how your brain triggers the rest of your body and how it wants to act on a daily basis. I was a size 18/20 when I started this process and now I am a size 16/18. Like I said, it surely isn't a quick process but I know that if I stay focused and dedicated the weight will have no choice but to come off. I didn't get fat overnight and I surely don't expect to be skinny overnight either. Hope my story can help you even in the smallest way. Good luck and never give up.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Um..., tasting the food you cook for your teenagers is probably throwing your calorie count off; besides, how many calories are you consuming at your desk? If you're working 12hrs a day, what is the likelihood that you have a boatload of food at your desk? How many times a week do you eat restaurant food with your coworkers?

It's important to read and understand nutrition labels, and to be able to visualize what a portion size looks like. Without the ability to judge what a portion size looks like, it's very hard not to overeat. To lose weight, one must burn more calories than consumed. This is impossible to do if you're eating restaurant food because you're probably eating four servings in one setting. Don't waste money on those special foods because it doesn't take special food to lose weight. It takes burning more calories than you take into your body.

The experts tell us that people that exercise seem to stay on their diets longer than people that don't. Exercise can help a person lose weight, but it isn't the reason for weight-loss. Again, to lose weight you must burn more calories than you consume. The only way to do that is through a calorie deficit. Therefore, if you enter in all your calories, stay out of the red, and go for a walk three times a week, you'll lose weight. This means that if you taste the food you cook for your teenagers, you need to enter those calories. Good luck with your weight-loss goals; and when you're feeling down, just know that you will lose weight as long as your calories stay out of the red and you enter in everything you eat.
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I work 3rd shift sitting for 8 hours, some mornings it takes a lot, espically when its cold out to go to the gym after work, but last night I accidently grabbed my gym bag and took it inside with me, I usually leave it in the car, and there it stared at me all night reminding me to go to the gym after work. I also find either the slow cooker or on a day off cooking some meals for the week so all you have to do is warm them up and then there is a meal ready in the house for your kids if you are at the gym and they are hungry. Good luck!
  • keltra007
    keltra007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I pack almonds, fruit, veggies, and hummus. For breakfast I have a meal replacement shake, for lunch a salad, and for dinner its usually whatever I cook for the household. We're pretty health conscious but I do have the occassional slip.
  • keltra007
    keltra007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Not bad advice to wake up earlier... but I do already wake up at 4:30 AM and walk my dogs for apprx 15-20 min before heading off to work an hour later. Tonight I walked after work to get rid of the stresses of the day.
  • caseydarden
    Options
    The most important thing (in my opinion) initially is to establish a routine. If you can commit yourself to 15-20 minutes of ANY type of exercise each day (and stick with it) then that is a good place to start.

I understand all about getting up at 4:30 every day.... same here.

Casey
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I would walk at work during breaks or lunch hours to get in any extra activity...and take the stairs if you can. Good luck!