My boyfriend took me to IHOP...165 calories left :(

Options
We had a wonderful breakfast to celebrate the fact that yesterday was my final day of school, and my degree is complete, and I'm officially a bachelorette of fine arts. After having an awesome breakfast complete with pancakes and smoked sausage, eggs and red potatoes, I now have 165 calories left for the day. What should I do?

A. Salad. Lots and lots of salad.
B. Screw it, live a little, have a cheeseburger and milkshake while you're at it, tomorrow is another day.
C. Insert suggestion here.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    log it...
    eat the rest of your food like normal-
    don't binge for the day- that's silly.

go for a run if you feel like it- do your normal work out.

move on.

one day does not kill weeks and weeks of work.

Don't feel guilty- you had a good time- just move on.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    C. Eat a normal amount for the rest of the day. Log it. Move on with life.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    burn off a couple hundred calories and eat a 400 calorie dinner. bam.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    What I would've done a few months ago is B. Now, I'd go with C. Eat what you normally would for the rest of the day, get in your workout, log it all, and move on.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I second, "C. Eat a normal amount for the rest of the day. Log it. Move on with life."

B is similar to, "I dropped my cell phone, so now I might as well throw it on the ground and stomp on it!"
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    So, if I leave now, I can get in a run before work, and then do a combo of A and the wonderful C suggestion you guys made. I eat lots of salad anyway, so maybe a salad with some crab or chicken thrown in for protein would allow me a snack. I know I'll get hungry before dinner time.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    log it... eat the rest of your food like normal

move on.

^ This
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

this. On Easter Sunday I ate over 750 calories, went to the gym and burn 600 doing cardio. so I would not feel bad eating dinner.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Yup...one off day is not going to kill you. Eat normally the rest of the day and get tough tomorrow. Besides...its a celebration!!! You should be able to enjoy yourself :)
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    MFP is what taught me that my, "Screw it, I messed up and now I will just binge for the rest of the day and start over tomorrow," attitude was totally a distorted view of reality. I used to think if I gave in to a big bowl of ice cream or 2 or 3 Little Debbies or too many chips, that I had doomed myself. Now, when I log those indulgences, I can see in black and white that they aren't nearly as off track as I believed in my head. Usually, I can make up for those lax moments with exercise or a light dinner. With MFP, there is never a need for me to "start over tomorrow" ever again. Love it!!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

this. On Easter Sunday I ate over 750 calories, went to the gym and burn 600 doing cardio. so I would not feel bad eating dinner.

what? my breakfast today was almost 600...why after a 750 calorie breakfast would you have to burn 600?

to the OP yah C...just log normally and go on with your day...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You might not be that hungry anyway. Keep in mind also that you have a deficit built in, so even if you eat 500 more calories, you'll still be at a deficit.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    log it...
    eat the rest of your food like normal-
    don't binge for the day- that's silly.

move on.

^^This.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    You did great! If it were me and I'd gone to IHOP I'd have 165 calories left for the week! :)

Seriously, I'd just eat as normal, log it, and move on. IHOP is awesome and you did a terrific job completing your degree. Enjoy--and congrats!
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    why are you even stressing out about the rest of the day? surely you're still full? just take on your hunger as it comes and eat what you're in the mood for.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    For future reference- because I eat at IHOP frequently (well I used to- I moved and now one's not particuarly close)... but I have them make my omlette as scrambled eggs- they add pancake batter to their omelette's to make them bigger and more fluffy- so they are uber high in calories.

If you are going with an omelette and don't want to lose a bunch of calories to it- try that- they usually have no issue doing so and it means my breakfast is still under 1000 calories.

Full of win.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options

Uh, but our bodies don't really work that way...

First of all, it takes about 16 hours for food to be fully digested. From beginning to end, for every nutrient and calorie to be absorbed- 16 hours. Meaning you eat today for tomorrow. Meaning you didn't burn off the breakfast you ate that morning at the gym that same day.

Second, when you do work out, it's not a black and white "enter gym, work out, burn ___ calories, /endburn" situation. What you're ACTUALLY doing it revving up your metabolism to slowly burn calories for the rest of the day- outside of the gym. Like dominoes, you knock down the first one while you're working out, but the rest continue to fall after. That's why weight lifting is so effective, for example. It's a prime example of a long burn. So, no, your Easter breakfast didn't just suddenly vanish from your stomach because you ran on a treadmill for awhile.

Third, you need no less than 1,200 to survive on. You shouldn't aim for a complete, back-to-0 calorie net for the day by matching your intake with your outtake. You're compromising your internal health that way.