protien drinks

Options
i have had a few 'experts' tell me that i should not be drinking a protein drink as it will cause me to gain weight.... looking for the opinion of my follow MFP clan for a more solid answer.

Replies

• TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    You will gain weight with anything if you go over your calorie range. I had many people tell me that also when I first started dieting. Most protein shakes are low in carb and calories, high protein and low in fat. So it's an awesome way to get your protein in.
    IDK how many calories you consume, but as long as you fit it in there, you'll be fine. =)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Most protien drinks are designed as a bulking agent. But if you need the calories go for it (its one of the reasons I do drink them). If you just need the protein try to get it in its food form that way you aren't consuming the extra calories. I'm also a vegetarian so I need the exra protein in my diet to reach my daily goals. Many of the formulas out there start at around 150 calories per scoop and unless you plan on drinking it plain in a glass of water you are going to add a lot more calories. My shake totals up at about 300 calories after I add in a banana, greek yogurt, and milk.
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    . My shake totals up at about 300 calories after I add in a banana, greek yogurt, and milk.

That sounds delicious!
  • SkierElle
    SkierElle Posts: 335
    Options
    I just got Dymatize elite whey protein. It has 117 calories and 24g of protein per scoop and no sugar. It also has glutamine in it which can help decrease cravings for sugar. I REALLY like it!! You just shouldnt add too much to the shake because that's what increases the calories. I've had other kinds of protein shakes and they all keep me really full, keep me from getting sore from exercise, and dont stop me from losing :)
  • caseydarden
    Options
    I think they are a huge waste of money. They are several times more expensive than any natural source of protein. And since your body can only utilize a finite amount of protein at once, it means a lot of your money is literally going down the toilet.

If you need more protein... eat some eggs (egg whites, if you prefer). While they aren't exactly cheap anymore, you'll get more bang for your buck.
  • Emilyanne6081
    Options
    remember though, if you are going to drink protein drinks drink TONS of water. Protein is hard on the kidneys. =]
  • ljbouse
    ljbouse Posts: 129
    Options
    thanks everyone for your advice.