Quoina...

Options
I went to walmart and got some today and IDK why but i expected a bag. a big bag. or at least an option of buying a big bag. i fount small bags that had about 3/4c dry quoina. and then a box that had *almost* 2c dry quoina. the recipe i have calls for 2c and i wasnt going to buy another box just to a little bit more.

is it just walmart or is that the sizes they typically come in?

Replies

• thickemadama
    thickemadama Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi I also brought some the other day for the first time and I also got mine from Walmart. I couldn't find a big bag either, so I brought a small packet. I just wanted to try it to see if I would like it and it wasn't that bad...I tried the roasted garlic. I have some leftover for tomorrow. The packet made a half of pot....I think you may have to buy it online if you want a big bag...:happy:
  • bmannen1
    bmannen1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I went to walmart and got some today and IDK why but i expected a bag. a big bag. or at least an option of buying a big bag. i fount small bags that had about 3/4c dry quoina. and then a box that had *almost* 2c dry quoina. the recipe i have calls for 2c and i wasnt going to buy another box just to a little bit more.

is it just walmart or is that the sizes they typically come in?

Do you have a Sobeys? I got a large container with WAY more in there. I also heard that Costco has larger ones if you have access to one.
  • pangepange
    pangepange Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I buy mine in bulk at Bulk Barn by the pound. You can often go on their website and get a coupon (ex save $3 on your $10 purchase coupon) and time it to match with their 25% off quinoa sales.
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I found a large bag at big lots a couple weeks ago.
  • DomesticG33k
    Options
    I buy in bulk at WINCO if you have one near you.
  • discusmike
    Options
    From my experience buying it in bulk (Winco, Sprouts, etc) or getting it at Costco is the best price per volume on average. Personally, I prefer the Costco packages. Good luck!
  • ejoy77
    ejoy77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a grocery store with a bulk section, you can usually find it there. Or if you have a grocery store with a natural foods section, I'll bet you can find a large container there. I buy mine in a very large container from Sam's Club.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I buy mine in bulk as well at the local grocery. They only have organic though, and it's so expensive! We rotate it with other grains and side dishes to keep our grocery bill down (brown rice, lentils, barley, pasta, etc.).
  • StephBendo
    StephBendo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I buy my Quinoa at Costco. you can get a big bag of True Roots Organic Quinoa there (at least in Canada) for a decent price
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    World Market and Trader Joe's have big bags.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm very fond of quinoa. I buy it at Costco, large bag.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing this is a typo and you mean Quinoa - the seed?

if so, i started growing it in the garden in the UK a couple of years ago becasue i wanted to try it, but it was really expensive
    I also read that the export of quinoa from the andes had affected the nutritional balance of the locals detrimentally, which encouraged me (as it was suitable for our climate) to grow it myself

if you grow rather than buying, the only difference is that the saponins that protect it from insects need to be washed off before eating

it is perfect for growning in 'marginal' conditions as it like short days and cool weather :)http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/quinoa.html