Exercise and Bronchitis

Options
Does anyone have any information about bronchitis and exercise? I am an active 60 yr female that loves to run, walk, swim and bike. I have had a HORRIBLE chest cold and cough for the past two weeks. I normally get sick about once every ten years, but now I can NOT get rid of this really bad chest cold/broncitus. Should I stop running altogether until someday I get well? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Replies

• Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    You should probably ask your doctor (you've seen your doctor, right? often, bronchitis is bacterial and can be cleared up with antibiotics), but with your body already under stress, rest is your best bet. My experience may not be yours--I have asthma, so when I get bronchitis on top of it, my lungs really hate me and there's no way I'd even think about exercising--but I can't imagine that doing serious cardio when you're already coughing and having breathing problems will help you recover.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is: If you're sick above the neck, you're ok to work out. Sick below the neck, you need to stay out of the gym until you're recovered.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You should probably ask your doctor (you've seen your doctor, right? often, bronchitis is bacterial and can be cleared up with antibiotics), but with your body already under stress, rest is your best bet. My experience may not be yours--I have asthma, so when I get bronchitis on top of it, my lungs really hate me and there's no way I'd even think about exercising--but I can't imagine that doing serious cardio when you're already coughing and having breathing problems will help you recover.

This!!!
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am in that boat right now. Had severe bronchitis - on the verge of pneumonia - went to the doctor and got anitbiotics. I continued to go to crossfit (3X's a week). I am now on round 2 of antibiotics.... so take a week to rest so that your body has time to heal properly.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is: If you're sick above the neck, you're ok to work out. Sick below the neck, you need to stay out of the gym until you're recovered.

I guess you mean physical injuries, but bronchitis won't let you breathe properly so it's really hard to do cardio workouts without running out of air, so rest is best.

OP I believe is best to rest! I just recently recovered from bronchitis and just going to continue working out because I was not well at all, frigging weather changes! Hope you feel better soon.
  • Sueb1420
    Sueb1420 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just recovered from bronchitis. The Doctor told me that it can take weeks to months to clear up the cough related to bronchitis and recover your strength. He also explained that four days after the last of my mucus can up I was allowed to return to working out and not considered contagious. Along with the medication they prescribed they had me up my electrolytes a lot. I looked up some recipes online and made my own but powerade works.

This was my experience but check with your doctor.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Ditto get checked and follow what your Dr. says.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Please see a doctor if you haven't, and follow your doctor's orders. I was told no exercise until my lungs were clear. Since I sucked at following his orders for the most part, I had bronchitis for 8 weeks, and now my "once in a while" asthma has become an every day thing, where I have to use a corticosteroid inhaler twice a day.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Besides it being super contagious, I've had it twice (possibly a 3rd but didn't go to the doctor) and both times the doctor at the time told me to sit out of exercise or any physical activity for at least a week. I don't know how you feel like working out anyways, I always felt like *kitten* and couldn't breathe very well.

ETA: 1st time I had to get an inhaler. it was horrible.
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options

I guess you mean physical injuries, but bronchitis won't let you breathe properly so it's really hard to do cardio workouts without running out of air, so rest is best.

OP I believe is best to rest! I just recently recovered from bronchitis and just going to continue working out because I was not well at all, frigging weather changes! Hope you feel better soon.

Bronchitis is below the neck (unless your chest is higher? lol). So, I meant stay home and get the rest.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    edit fail...
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and had bronchitis in March, as hard as it is to say this to a runner, no, you shouldn't be running. The more you run, the longer it will take to clear it up. Get to the dr for meds if you haven't already (I had to get an inhaler), and take a week off until it's completely clear, then come back slowly (slower pace, less mileage). It will go away quicker if you rest.
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 821 Member
    Options

This!

Also, I have a friend who at 34 years old recently fought for her life in the hospital for almost 2 months after having bronchitis that developed into pneumonia. The doctor has told her it will take at least a year for her lungs to recover enough for her to even think about exercise. Much better to take care of the bronchitis now and not end up worsening.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Definitely take time if it's bronchitis. I went to a doctor once who told me to rest for about 5 days with bronchitis, and it should have been at least 2 weeks. It took MONTHS for my lungs to fully recover and my running to get back up to par. It was horrible. Take time off, let your body heal!

Have your doctor check it out; if it's a mild chest cold, a bit of easy exercise might help clear you out. if it's something more serious, you definitely need to rest and recoup.