Protien help!

Options
I'm having trouble meeting my daily goal for protien intake. I eat non-fat Greek yogurt that has 15-18 g of protien in it and a few other things here and there... but I never can reach my goal. Does anyone have any helpful tips or protien snack ideas?
Thanks a bunch!!

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    beans, lentils, tofu, edamame, protein shakes and animal sources if you eat meat.
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Do you eat meat? If so, chicken, turkey, lean beef. Protein shakes, bars. Low-fat/non fat cheese/ string cheese. Eggs, eggwhites, liquid eggs are excellent for breakfast and lots of protein. I like to cook some canadian bacon with it.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Tuna, lean chicken and yogurt help me:)
  • danyellefonseca
    Options
    Whenever I fall short on protein, a scoop of protein powder helps me out. You can use it in a protein shake or just mix it in skim milk or water.
  • Hibpshman1
    Options
    Raw nuts are great too. Try some almonds, great for good fats too. I also use all natural peanut butter...you can put it on celery or on whole grain bread with some "no sugar added" fruit preserves for a healthy snack/lunch.
  • jmae418
    jmae418 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks everybody!! I do eat meat... just not really a lot. I guess I just need to find a good balance!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    A great high-protein food (it could be part of a meal or a post-workout snack) is a tuna-cake: mix a can of tuna with some egg whites - I think I usually add 1/4 cup, or 1 whole egg. Cook the egg/tuna mix like a pancake - it's yummy topped with a little mayo or pico de gallo or mustard... and probably other things, as well!

Something else that many people don't know about is nutritional yeast - it's about 50 calories for 2 tbsp, and adds about 8g protein/5g carbs/1g fat/4g fiber (those are the stats for the brand I use). It looks like yellow flakes. I will add this to the recipe above, and also to things like shakes, casseroles, burgers, etc. Some people even use it as popcorn topping! (It has a rich, almost cheesy flavor.) You can google it to learn more info and other recipes.

Seitan is a great vegetarian protein based on wheat gluten (obviously not for those who are gluten-intolerant). It sounds odd, but everyone I've fed it to (even non-vegetarians like myself) love it! It's about 20g of protein for 1/8 of the roll. It's super easy to make, too. Here's the recipe I use (I like this one because you bake it... many of the recipes out there have you boil it, which seems kinda yuck to me): http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=606572
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    A great high-protein food (it could be part of a meal or a post-workout snack) is a tuna-cake: mix a can of tuna with some egg whites - I think I usually add 1/4 cup, or 1 whole egg. Cook the egg/tuna mix like a pancake - it's yummy topped with a little mayo or pico de gallo or mustard... and probably other things, as well!

Something else that many people don't know about is nutritional yeast - it's about 50 calories for 2 tbsp, and adds about 8g protein/5g carbs/1g fat/4g fiber (those are the stats for the brand I use). It looks like yellow flakes. I will add this to the recipe above, and also to things like shakes, casseroles, burgers, etc. Some people even use it as popcorn topping! (It has a rich, almost cheesy flavor.) You can google it to learn more info and other recipes.

Seitan is a great vegetarian protein based on wheat gluten (obviously not for those who are gluten-intolerant). It sounds odd, but everyone I've fed it to (even non-vegetarians like myself) love it! It's about 20g of protein for 1/8 of the roll. It's super easy to make, too. Here's the recipe I use (I like this one because you bake it... many of the recipes out there have you boil it, which seems kinda yuck to me): http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=606572

You're right on the money with the nutritional yeast...I use it most every day...it's great...seitan is as well. I was a vegan for 5 years and needed to find more sources of protein and these are two of my favorites. I'm still a hard core vegetarian though, lol.
  • rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    turkey, chicken breast, and shakes are my choices.