Book Recommendation

Options
I am 100% new to this whole weight loss thing. When everyone talks about carbs, good carbs, bad carbs, good fat, bad fat- it all goes over my head. Any recommendations on a book that is for weight loss beginners?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    The Diet Fix by Dr. Yoni Freedhoff is all you need in my opinion, especially if your goal is to be at a happy, healthy weight for a lifetime.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/The-Diet-Fix-Diets-Yours/dp/0804137579
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no books needed...

Calories in vs calories out.

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficet. You don't have to give up any food groups or specific foods.

Just eat less than maitenance and you will lose weight ...

there are no good carbs or bad carbs...there are no foods that are evil or inherently bad as far as weight loss goes...just the amount that we eat.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Not a book, but I really thought this was a good lecture, not conclusive, just interesting as far as losing weight with low carb. The people who did best in the study ended up lowering carbs but still eating more than the Atkins diet recommended:

The Battle of the Diets: Is Anyone Winning (At Losing?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    no books needed...

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficet. You don't have to give up any food groups or specific foods.

there are no good carbs or bad carbs...there are no foods that are evil or inherently bad as far as weight loss goes...just the amount that we eat.

^This!!!! Stop here and don't read anything else. Lol... J/K but people will have you going crazy. Don't label food as good or bad. Like he said you can enjoy the foods you like and still lose weight. You will have to develop the will power to eat less of it. Unless you are planning on getting on a stage you don't need to go to any extremes to reach your goals.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
    You dont need books, and the more complicated you make things like you are describing the more likely you will fall off the wagon.

Now to contradict myself, I did read a book my trainer buddy gave me. Free of course, about a program I was starting. Eat. Stop. Eat.
    It helped me really buy into what I was planning to do, and explained the why's and how's. I think withouth that book I wouldnt have been "all-in" and would have not been able to do the alternate day fasting.

Books can be good, but if you get into too much of the specifics it can be harder than it should be.

WIth that said...it all does come down to calories in and calories out. Use the KISS method...Keep It Simple Stupid.
  • trevnem
    trevnem Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I read the book Skinny B***h, changed my whole thought process on what I put in my body
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/alan.aragon.796?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

I love Alan Aragon, he makes sense. He's on youtube as well.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting for Women. Period. Don't read that diet crap.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    no books needed...

This!^

Instead of a "diet" ....a project, a temporary thing, look for things you can change for a lifetime. Lifestyle changes will help you keep the weight from creeping back up.

A diet shouldn't be about cutting certain foods out completely. It should be about managing portions. I'm not fat because I eat chocolate....I'm fat because I eat too much chocolate.

When portions are small, you need to make calories count more. Log foods into MFP & see what they are "worth." The calories of potato chips aren't worth it to me....but that same food is worth it to someone else. Logging helps you determine the actual "cost" of eating.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    I read Mindless Eating when I first started and found it helpful.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Seconded. An excellent book.

And there's nothing wrong with reading books. It's just that most "weight loss" books are selling something. They're selling the book, of course, but very often they're selling a worldview, or a method, or a secret. Don't bother with those.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The Virgin Diet was a good read.....I browsed it at Barnes and Noble one day.....some of the stuff made sense. It focused a lot on "inflammatory foods" - the big ones being corn, eggs, soy, dairy....and there was one or 2 more if I recall......the author runs you through cycles taking out certain foods from your diet, all while taking notes on how you feel, etc.....to figure out what your body is allergic too.

Through that book I found the evil behind corn, and soy, specifically - they are apparantly one of the biggest pesticide laden foods.....not to mention genetically modified.....especially CORN, since it now serves 2 big purposes, GAS/Ethanol corn fuel, and food (for us, livestock, etc.....).....

I didn't follow it, but I did learn from the small reading, and adjusted my food choices slightly,,, since it is a long read.....it's essentially what the health world would call an "elimination diet"....
  • princessgloomy
    princessgloomy Posts: 8 Member
    Options

And there's nothing wrong with reading books. It's just that most "weight loss" books are selling something. They're selling the book, of course, but very often they're selling a worldview, or a method, or a secret. Don't bother with those.

That absolutely makes sense. I'm not looking to read into a particular diet. I would just like to know what portions are good for me, and of what?? Lol. I'm doing pretty good with staying under my calorie goal, but I'm always over my sodium and sugar goals.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

That absolutely makes sense. I'm not looking to read into a particular diet. I would just like to know what portions are good for me, and of what?? Lol. I'm doing pretty good with staying under my calorie goal, but I'm always over my sodium and sugar goals.

Good for you for trying to do it right!

Here's my opinion. If you are just starting out, the single important thing you have to remember is to stay within your calorie guidelines. Don't worry about good vs bad foods, because foods are not good or bad. Once you get a handle on your calorie goal, focus a bit more on your macro breakdown. (I only really focus on protein personally.) Try to get some exercise, which will give you more calories to eat and will also improve your general well-being.

If you haven't read the "sexypants" link yet, get to it right away. Seriously.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

And good luck!