I'm ditching breakfast...

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    okay, this is partly a shamless bump of my post. but wondering if anyone else doesn't eat breakfast and if eating breakfast makes others more hungry as well.

Yes. I rarely eat breakfast, and if I do I am hungrier and tend to eat more throughout the day. I wait until I get hungry and then I eat. It's often not for 6 or 7 hours after I rise.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're not weighing solids and measuring liquids and logging daily, then you aren't even remotely accurate in your tracking.

ugh...no, i don't weigh solids. i do measure food (with the exception of the soy milk topper to my tea). I know that isn't the same as weighing. My bran cereal says 80 calories per half cup...i measure and log that. my packet of tuna says 70 calories. I log the 70 calories--but do not weigh it. vegetables I measure and don't weigh. I measure my dressing for my salad. soup I take at face value--whatever the can states (I eat no salt added soup, btw). I log large eggs as 70 calories per egg. my popcorn states it is 100 calories per minibag...i log accordingly. Do you think these measurements need weighing? how off do you think they are? i am wondering if i can just add X amount of misc calories everyday to cover the potential descrepencies.

The more calorie dense an item is the more accurate you need to be with measuring how much you are eating. Things like butter, nut butter, cheeses, fattier cuts of meat should for sure be weighed as a small error in weight can lead to a substantial error in calories.You can get a food scale for pretty cheap these days, btw.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    okay, this is partly a shamless bump of my post. but wondering if anyone else doesn't eat breakfast and if eating breakfast makes others more hungry as well.

Yes. I rarely eat breakfast, and if I do I am hungrier and tend to eat more throughout the day. I wait until I get hungry and then I eat. It's often not for 6 or 7 hours after I rise.

The thing is...i knew this was the issue from past experience, but I was ignoring it. the extra 200 cals and being hungrier (inevitably eating more) is what likely did me in. I hope to report a successful update in two weeks.
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating breakfast a couple years ago. I have my coffee in the morning and my lunch and dinner later. I have no reasons for quitting breakfast. I do like breakfast foods though. I've only noticed a change in weight while I was in a caloric deficit.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options

The thing is...i knew this was the issue from past experience, but I was ignoring it. the extra 200 cals and being hungrier (inevitably eating more) is what likely did me in. I hope to report a successful update in two weeks.

If your goal was 500 calories less per day (example only, I have know idea what your deficit is set to) just upping your calories by 200 would still allow for weight loss, just slower weight loss. It has to be more than just the breakfast...
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're not weighing solids and measuring liquids and logging daily, then you aren't even remotely accurate in your tracking.

ugh...no, i don't weigh solids. i do measure food (with the exception of the soy milk topper to my tea). I know that isn't the same as weighing. My bran cereal says 80 calories per half cup...i measure and log that. my packet of tuna says 70 calories. I log the 70 calories--but do not weigh it. vegetables I measure and don't weigh. I measure my dressing for my salad. soup I take at face value--whatever the can states (I eat no salt added soup, btw). I log large eggs as 70 calories per egg. my popcorn states it is 100 calories per minibag...i log accordingly. Do you think these measurements need weighing? how off do you think they are? i am wondering if i can just add X amount of misc calories everyday to cover the potential descrepencies.

Don't forget the weight on the packaging includes the packaging.
    Buy scales and weigh everything. Ok so it can be a nuisance but it is worth it, you will be surprised.
  • reds_1
    reds_1 Posts: 59
    Options
    Yes, having breakfast makes me hungrier. But then, as some days I don't get a chance to eat till 4/5pm, not having breakfast makes me ravenous. So, I have a milky coffee or two every morning with the full fat milk. I tend to find that I don't think about food till around 4pm after that anyway.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    You gained weight because you were eating more than you were burning.

If you like eating breakfast, then start logging your food and make it fit into your day.

I am on an IS plan... It's called Intermittent Snacking... yes, I just made it up (well, it's new to me).

I snack on little stuff almost hourly, and try to make it so that I have about 1000 left by supper time. (I eat 2000 in a day).
    This is because I love late night IS. LOVE IT. LOOOOOOOOVE IT. And if I don't have enough calories to allow me to ISAN (IS at night), then I will go over.

I often exercise so I can eat more. Yep. That's me.

TLDR: Find what works for you. And log your food. The End

eta... 2000/day PLUS exercise cals... I can easily put back over 3000 a day when my exercise supports it. :smile:
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Don't forget the weight on the packaging includes the packaging.
    Buy scales and weigh everything. Ok so it can be a nuisance but it is worth it, you will be surprised.

NO. Weight of food on the nutrition label does not include the weight of the packaging.
    A food scale will help your weight loss. period.
  • DaniMarie180
    Options
    I have been whining about how my weight has gone up a couple of pounds and not settled back down in over a month! I've accepted it is real weight gain and not a passing fluctuation. So, what have I been doing differently? At first, I couldn't think of anything signficant. But, to be honest, there is one thing...I started to eat breakfast (though a small, nutrient packed one). I think those extra two-hundred calories and the resulting "hunger" I get mid-morning from eating it--resulted in weight gain. I know that sounds strange (why eating breakfast would make me hungrier). It does. So, I am taking breakfast off the menu.

I guess I thought since it was a small amount (and I thought I was accomodating elsewhere in my daily menu) I had it figured out. clearly, I did not. no other explanation for the weight gain other than too many calories.

I know what you mean about eating in the morning and then getting mid-morning hunger pangs. My friend calls it "opening the floodgates" when you eat/drink in the morning. THEN you're hungry. :wink: I cannot have any carbs in the morning or it does that to me. If I eat strictly protein, or very little carbs, then I'm okay.

It takes some tweaking. You'll figure it out!
  • brosis85
    brosis85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast! I wake up at 430 in the morning... and am not usually home from work until six at night ... in bed by 1030.

I was a religious breakfast eater, before and after my workouts ... and then when I got to work. The challenge was by 10 I was ready to eat my arm off ... again! So I would be almost through my calories by lunch time and have not much left for the rest of the day.

Started intermittent fasting and now I dont eat until 1130 on weekdays and have one to two fast days a week and have noticed I have more energy and solid workouts! Plus I get to eat a bit larger meals at lunch and supper keeping me satisfied longer!

Everyone is different! No harm testing things out to see what works for you and what doesnt!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Just another no breakfast here...or late at least. Coffee in the morning until around 10 or so, then a whey protein shake. After that eat about every 2 hours small amounts. If I eat first thing, even the protein shake, it kicks off my hunger sooner and it is harder to make it to the end of the day.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I actually have found it better for me to eat a HUGE calorie breakfast and small lunches and dinners. For breakfast before I workout I eat two slices of toast with pb and a banana, and then after I workout, I drink a protein shake.. It adds up to about 770 calories.

For lunch and dinner, they are usually about 350 calories give or take.

I have seen a great amount of progress by doing this!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    It's preferential. Personally I skip it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ardorrequiem
    Options
    It's preferential. Personally I skip it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

As someone who has studied nutrition, is it really ok to skip? I often feel icky first thing in the am and I'm not super keen on breaky...
  • ardorrequiem
    Options
    I actually have found it better for me to eat a HUGE calorie breakfast and small lunches and dinners. For breakfast before I workout I eat two slices of toast with pb and a banana, and then after I workout, I drink a protein shake.. It adds up to about 770 calories.

do you find that eating like that before a workout gives you cramps, or do you wait? If yes, how do you deal with that?
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

do you find that eating like that before a workout gives you cramps, or do you wait? If yes, how do you deal with that?

I wait about 45 minutes before I go workout! I haven't had cramps. I let the food settle before I go! I used to not eat breakfast before I went, but I felt fatigued. Now I feel better and more energized when I eat something before, and then after I come back and finish breakfast off with my protein shake
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    part of my problem is that I am one of those people who donate money to the gym each month. yes, donate...meaning I don't ever go! I haven't made the commitment to get off my butt and exercise. I have a million excuses...from the ever so popular "i'm too busy" to the more sympathetic "i am too self-conscious." so...

my goals for may:
    gym twice a week--minimum of 30 minutes (baby steps here);
    cut breakfast (at least see how it goes);
    cut out the soy in my tea when I order;
    log everything.

next month...perhaps I tackle weighing of food.

thank you to all for your input. it has been helpful.
  • midwestspitfire
    midwestspitfire Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    OP, just out of curiosity, how many calories are you typically netting per day?
  • GretaGirl8
    Options
    OP, just out of curiosity, how many calories are you typically netting per day?

well, there remains some ambiguity on this point right now. I thought I was netting no more than 1200, but with more accurate logging and weighing versus measuring of foods...I am probably eating anywhere from 400-800 calories more a day. I just don't know. I didn't realize the weighing of food was such a significant difference from measuring food based on the nutritional label serving size. also, my liberal use of milk in my tea, lots of sugarless (not calorie free) gum wasn't being logged entirely accurately (though I didn't completely ignore those calories). I guess once I get my act together we will see just how much I am consuming per day. I may be in for a rude awakening.