Calling all Yogis.

Options
Hi everyone! Been on MFP for a while now and found fellow vegetarians and newly weds. Soooooo, I figured I could also find some fellow yoga practitioners.

I have been practicing beginners yoga for about 5 years now. Sometimes I would do it everyday, other times I would fall off the wagon and only do it once every couple of months. I have been pretty dedicated the past several months and I want to make sure it stays that way. I'm also looking to increase my skill level.

The only yoga I have been exposed to are on DVDs. I started with Hatha Yoga - Yolanda Pettinato who does the Simply Yoga book & DVD set. It was a great way to be introduced.

Now I am totally addicted to Ana Brett & Ravi's style: Kundalini yoga. Breath of fire and a lot of aerobics/cardio built in.

I think some of the poses I've finally mastered are higher than beginner level, but I feel like I've missed out a bit on some of the more traditional poses. Until I've been exposed to those, I don't really feel like I can even call myself intermediate. Yolanda's DVD doesn't nearly cover all the cool poses that are in her book. And I'm definitely not into learning from a book.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some great dvds? Or maybe an Ana Brett yoga set I haven't bought yet? :) (really, I only have like 3 of them)

You are also welcome to befriend me. I'm dying for some fellow yogis!

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I like the Rodney Yee Dvds (very different than kundalini, so might not be your thing) - that being said, I don't think you should attempt harder poses without a teacher. I think it's quite possible to hurt yourself in headstand (sirsasana) or shoulderstand (sarvangasana).
  • Ssminey79
    Ssminey79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have such a hard time with Yoga that is NOT at a traditional yoga studio. I used to live close to a fantastic studio, but moved too far away. Plus, as everything else, it got expensive to do that plus a gym membership. I joined a new gym that had yoga classes, but was completely disappointed as the instructors cannot assist in postures and cannot talk about the actual meaning of yoga, so I have kinda stopped going to those classes. But I was talking to my husband yesterday as to the great benefits of yoga and I guess since I did have some experience with traditional studios, that I could probably just "make it my own"-if you know what I mean. However, I would love some more info on the dvds. I just love the personaly guidance of having someone right there.

That wasn't really any help to the OP, was it?! :tongue:
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    You can google free classes in your area or look into a studio by your house. Some will let you volunteer a few hours to take classes for free. I also know that if you have T.V. on demand there are a ton of videos there. Oxygen T.V. has a great guy on really early in the morning. Don't know if that helps..
    Namaste
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    You can google free classes in your area or look into a studio by your house. Some will let you volunteer a few hours to take classes for free. I also know that if you have T.V. on demand there are a ton of videos there. Oxygen T.V. has a great guy on really early in the morning. Don't know if that helps..
    Namaste