eating healthy while travelling?

Options
Hello MFPers,

I'm visiting 3 cities in 3 weeks. Any tips on eating healthy while traveling?

Thanks,
M

Replies

• pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I travel a fair amount. I stock up on nuts & beef jerky, and portion them out in individual ziploc bags so I can grab & go. Bananas and other portable fruits work really well. Avocados also travel well. I raid the free hotel breakfasts for individual peanut butters. Many places will also have hard-boiled eggs; those make for a good & filling snack. On the road, I do canned tuna or salmon with a little olive oil (can bring in a small travel container), balsamic if I have it, salt and pepper.

Ultimately, when I'm traveling, my meals tend to look like groups of snacks vs. "real meals," but it works for me. It's also a LOT cheaper than eating out all the time!
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I just got done traveling for a couple weeks. For me, the key was to stock up on fruits (apples, grapes), vegetables (baby carrots, snap peas) plus hummus, cheese (cheddar), and nuts (mixed). While on the road, Subway's oven-roasted chicken is pretty good from a caloric and sodium perspective. Like pink, my days looked more like lots of little snacks than big meals! I felt satisfied and the scale cooperated. :)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    When I travel I have to pre-plan all of my exercise. These days, most hotels have gyms. I always get the gym hours at booking so that I make working out a priority. My husband always tries to book a suite so that there's a mini kitchen because he prefers to pick up groceries and cook VS going out to eat while traveling.

I avoid pastries and things at hotel breakfasts. They're usually dry and gross anyway. Juices are also calories I just don't need.
  • MalS0906
    MalS0906 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :) Awesome tips!
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    In addition to packing healthy snacks as mentioned above, while on the road I prefer stopping at Subways and Sheetz for gas. Sheetz almost always has things like salads, fresh fruit and veggies, yogurt.