potatoes/potaaatoes..& rice!!

Options

Replies

• mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    The amount of carbs probably. There's not much nutrition, if any, in a white potato or rice. Just stick to other veggies :)
    This looks like a good bit of nutrition to me...
    Nutrition Facts
    Potato, white
    Amount Per 1 medium (2+-1/4" to 3-1/4" dia.) (213 g)
    Calories 147
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.2 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 34 mg 1%
    Potassium 867 mg 24%
    Total Carbohydrate 33 g 11%
    Dietary fiber 5 g 20%
    Sugar 2.4 g
    Protein 3.6 g 7%
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 32%
    Calcium 1% Iron 6%
    Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 20%
    Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 11%
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Well if you eat them ( as well as anything) in mass amounts, they contribute to weight gain. But white bread is highly processed and do you really want that crap entering your body? Eat them in small quantities if you enjoy them, but try switching to healthier options that tend to me more filling like whole grain bread, brown rice (or quinoa!) and sweet potatoes. The longer you feel full, the less you eat throughout the day.
    Strong food shaming
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    According to Why We Get Fat, by the science editor of the NYTimes, foods that are high in refined carbs (high glycemic) cause a rapid rise in blood sugar. Your body responds by spiking insulin to lower it by storing the sugar as fat. It also causes a cascade reaction that causes you to not burn fat for around 2 hours. If you overeat, that means you spend relatively more of your time in a state where you are not burning fat. If you are active during that 2 hour period you will need that stored fat and not be able to burn it so get hungry. Therefore you tend to (sensibly) respond by eating more.

Wait... during that 2 hours, you have higher blood glucose levels. If you are exercising (and have used up the glycogen in your muscles) you will use the blood glucose. You don't need (at that time) to burn fat. That will come later, to replenish the glycogen.

In fact, if you are diabetic, it is recommended you go for a walk or something after eating a high carb meal to prevent blood sugar levels going too high.

Experiencing lots of glucose/insulin spikes can cause insulin resistance in anyone who has been overweight for any length of time and people who are prone towards diabetes.

Need a better citation for that one. We simply do not know what causes diabetes.
    This is why lots of refined 'white' foods (white rice, potatoes, bread, pasta) and soda/beer tend to be problematic EVEN if you are within your calorie guidelines.

Beer doesn't cause blood sugar spikes. The yeast use the simple carbs, leaving maltodextrins (complex carbs) behind.
    You don't need low carbs at all. But you do want to have your carbs under 40% or so and focus on carbs that are less refined and go into your system more slowly.

Everything people said about calories and 'no bad food' though - absolutely correct.

Carb % will depend on macro goals, overall calorie levels etc. A person bulking will need more carbs to get those calories in than the same person cutting.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I just want to clarify that my comment about blood sugar spikes was specific towards my own body (and being diabetic). Most people have the amount of insulin they need to process pretty large quantities of carbohydrates easily.

White potatoes do have nutritional value. Beer/alcohol can actually lower blood sugar. It seems counter-intuitive, I know.

Even as a diabetic, almost nothing is truly off-limits to me. I could eat white bread if I took a nice brisk walk after dinner. Life is about balance and moderation.
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options

Food is not the enemy! No such thing as "bad" food, just bad quantities.

While I largely agree with you here, I think there is one category of "bad" food that we had best avoid except on very rare occasions, and that is "fast" food. These are mostly empty calories, over-represented by fat and sugar. A Big Mac won't kill you, but it doesn't do you any good either. Fast food every day could very well kill you eventually. Fast food = bad food.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

While I largely agree with you here, I think there is one category of "bad" food that we had best avoid except on very rare occasions, and that is "fast" food. These are mostly empty calories, over-represented by fat and sugar. A Big Mac won't kill you, but it doesn't do you any good either. Fast food every day could very well kill you eventually. Fast food = bad food.

Big Mac® sandwich
    Serving Size 209
    (g)
    Calories 540 (Kcal) {} (% DV)
    Fat 29 (g) 45 (% DV)
    Saturated Fat 10 (g) {} (% DV)
    Trans Fat 0.5 (g) {} (% DV)
    Saturated Fat + Trans Fat {} (ug) 53 (% DV)
    Cholestrol 70 (mg) {} (% DV)
    Sodium 1020 (mg) 43 (% DV)
    Carbohydrate 44 (g) 15 (% DV)
    Fibre 3 (g) 12 (% DV)
    Sugar 9 (g)
    Protein 24 (g)
    Vitamin A 10 (% DV)
    Vitamin C 4 (% DV)
    Calcium 25 (% DV)
    Iron 35 (% DV)

% DV = % Daily Value

Not sure how that is bad for you at all!

Care to elaborate why you think a big mac is bad food?
  • MsDillieBar
    MsDillieBar Posts: 414 Member
    Options

I disagree. There are nutrients to be had in fast food meals. It's the quantity that's bad.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I think because there are more nutrient dense options. Potatoes aren't bad, they have potassium and other nutrients. Its just quantity/serving size issues and how they are prepared. Yes if you fry them they calories and anti nutrients will add up. Plus I think a big reason people bash them is they leave you with cravings its been proved in some studies that I read about. Bread at breakfast can make you hungry and have cravings for carbs all day.

I eat all those things too. I eat less bread and rice than potatoes(a big part of our grocery lists).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me my white bread, white rice, and good old pototoes, are said to make you put on weight?:smile:

I do eat them, but hopefully in smaller quantities than before.

ps..They look so innocent!! unlike a pepperoni pizza!

These contain fast digesting carbs, which cause a spike in blood sugar, then a following 'crash' as blood glucose quickly drops to normal. This can trigger hunger. You don't have to eat more, but many people find it harder not to.
  • kingsrob
    kingsrob Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As most in this thread have said, weight gain is about eating more than you burn.

Carbohydrates are not as satiating as proteins and fats. So a calorie restricted, carb heavy diet will leave you hungrier than one with more fat/protein. People eat/cheat when they are hungry.

So its good strategy to eat less carbs.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Big Mac® sandwich
    Serving Size 209
    (g)
    Calories 540 (Kcal) {} (% DV)
    Fat 29 (g) 45 (% DV)
    Saturated Fat 10 (g) {} (% DV)
    Trans Fat 0.5 (g) {} (% DV)
    Saturated Fat + Trans Fat {} (ug) 53 (% DV)
    Cholestrol 70 (mg) {} (% DV)
    Sodium 1020 (mg) 43 (% DV)
    Carbohydrate 44 (g) 15 (% DV)
    Fibre 3 (g) 12 (% DV)
    Sugar 9 (g)
    Protein 24 (g)
    Vitamin A 10 (% DV)
    Vitamin C 4 (% DV)
    Calcium 25 (% DV)
    Iron 35 (% DV)

% DV = % Daily Value

Not sure how that is bad for you at all!

Care to elaborate why you think a big mac is bad food?
    Damn amateur.

You've never heard of a killer Big Mac?

3081b992b97994568282cb69bdab0948_zps4d478fc5.jpg

Yes but he only mentioned a Big Mac, not a Killer Big Mac!
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me my white bread, white rice, and good old pototoes, are said to make you put on weight?:smile:

I do eat them, but hopefully in smaller quantities than before.

ps..They look so innocent!! unlike a pepperoni pizza!
    Its not the potatoes and rice that pile on the pounds. Its the stuff you add, like, butter, cheese, sour cream, and bacon bits! Lots of bacon bits! Than of course, it tastes so good, you have to go back for more!

I still eat what I want, but I have to weigh and measure it out. Also I can only make enough for one serving to keep me from going overboard.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I am not advocating eating it or not eating it. Personally I don't, not because of the pro's and con's on if it's good or bad for you, but because there are healthier options e.g., foods with more nutrients and fiber available. If I am going to hit my calorie target I'd like to hit it with foods that actually benefit my system, not just fill me up and not just because they taste good. If you eat it or not it all comes down to how bad do you want the particular food vs. how bad do you want to be fit and lose weight? Anyway, I am no authority but thought the information below might be helpful. Also, in terms of wheat products, when you have a chance take a look at: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/01/the-gliadin-effect/ (This link has nothing to do with white products but is interesting). Again, I'm not a professional nor am I advocating one way or the other. Just information....

Refined Grains

A refined grain is created when a whole grain is finely ground and stripped of its bran and germ, the elements that contain fiber, vitamins and minerals. White bread is made from refined grains, which are low in magnesium, zinc, vitamin E, fiber and essential fatty acids. Even though some manufacturers add vitamins back in, natural whole grains are still a superior choice.
    High Glycemic Index

The glycemic index is a measurement of how quickly and how much a food affects your blood sugar and insulin levels compared with pure glucose. White bread has a high glycemic index because it's made from refined grains that are rapidly absorbed during digestion, causing sharp spikes in blood sugar and insulin levels. A diet that includes a lot of white bread and other high-glycemic foods -- like sweets, candy, desserts and white potatoes -- increases your risk for weight gain, type 2 diabetes and heart disease, according to the Harvard School of Public Health.

White bread is low in fiber. Fiber is an essential part of a healthy diet that lowers your cholesterol level and keeps your gastrointestinal tract working properly. The recommended daily intake of fiber is 14 grams for every 1,000 calories you consume. If you eat the average 2,000 calorie-per-day diet, you need 28 grams of fiber a day. The average slice of white bread has 0.5 grams of fiber, whereas the average slice of whole wheat bread has 2 grams, according to the USDA Nutrient Database.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Ok Ive read all the posts and decided to add my two cents.

Ive been watching what I eat for 2 years. Obviously by my ticker Ive lost weight. Im a vegetarian that eats fish so technically Im a pescatarian. So a lot of what I eat is wheat and I laugh at the whole wheat belly thing. Im sorry but thats just another one of the cry wolf things going around right now. Also I eat the heck out of potatoes. I love them. Ive been eating at least one a day for my whole diet. Now Im on a sweet potato kick so I am eating one of those a day with omg butter! No I havent gained and I still weigh the same. What Im trying to say is if it makes you happy eat it. Why should you make yourself miserable because someone told you it was bad? We all eat bad stuff I love ice cream and eat that. Also I have a whole cabinet of candy that I eat also. Enjoy yourself life is too short to be miserable!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    According to Why We Get Fat, by the science editor of the NYTimes

Is he? Admittedly, I'm no expert on the NYT's editorial board.
    foods that are high in refined carbs (high glycemic) cause a rapid rise in blood sugar.

I just want to be precise here, since sometimes words (like "refined") get used to mean "bad" or "unhealthy" or some such, rather than what they actually mean. I had potatoes last night. Left the skin on, chopped them up, and roasted them in some olive oil, with salt and pepper, and ate with chicken and vegetables. How are those potatoes refined? Also, as has already been pointed out, how relevant is the glycemic index of the potato when I'm eating it with extra fat, protein, and fiber (and potatoes already have fiber).
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options

foods that are high in refined carbs (high glycemic) cause a rapid rise in blood sugar.

I just want to be precise here, since sometimes words (like "refined") get used to mean "bad" or "unhealthy" or some such, rather than what they actually mean. I had potatoes last night. Left the skin on, chopped them up, and roasted them in some olive oil, with salt and pepper, and ate with chicken and vegetables. How are those potatoes refined? Also, as has already been pointed out, how relevant is the glycemic index of the potato when I'm eating it with extra fat, protein, and fiber (and potatoes already have fiber).

And I think you have a big point there! We can minimize blood sugar spikes (if you even have to worry about them at all) by ensuring that you make protein and fiber a part of your meal. Nothing should be off-limits. Sometimes the way you combine your meals can make all the difference. I personally can't have corn and potatoes during the same meal. That doesn't mean that I can't have them, just that I have to plan for when I'm going to eat them and what else will be on my plate during that meal.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

I wondered about that too. I think he may have had some articles published in the NY Times (he is a journalist, after all), but according to his own bio, he doesn't claim to be (or have been) an editor: http://garytaubes.com/biography/