please give advice on fitbit one vs other wt loss tools

Options
2»

Replies

• dawnie1313
    dawnie1313 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    FITBIT ONE vs BODY MEDIA:

Thought I would jump in here too. I have owned both and I REALLY loved the science and the numbers I got with Body Media. However, after spending so much money my band stopped working after two years. I was very disappointed.

I got a FITBIT ONE for Christmas and I love how simple it is and how effortlessly it syncs with MFP. But. I am starting to question the numbers it is giving me. Or maybe I am just not understanding it all.

The FITBIT One seems to focus solely on steps. Doesnt take into account heart rate, or any other movements. I have worn my FITBIT every day since Christmas. But yesterday it made me mad. I went to the gym yesterday did 30 minutes of cardio on the Arc Trainer, followed by 15 mintues of arm weights. Then last night the hsuband and I rode our bikes 2.5 miles mostly uphill...And my fit bit calorie adjustment for the day was only 208. 88 calories for the bike ride and 120 for the exercise...Huh?????

Seriously considering going to the FLEX or back to Body Media.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Dawnie,

For non-step activities (swimming, weight training, elliptical) you're supposed to log into the website and record the activity manually and it will estimate what you would have burned and add it in. Did you do that?

(Go to the "log" across the top of your webpage, go to the "activities" tab, and then scroll down to "log activities" type into search bar and go from there.)

/edited for glaring grammar error.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Can't speak to them personally (I have a Polar HRM) but read this very good article in the latest issue of Fitness Magazine:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/gear/reviews/wearable-tech-gadgets/

*edit* Ok, I looked at the link after posting this and the online article is bare bones compared to the paper and ebook edition. If you can access either of those it's worth a look. Had a nice table of what your goals were and which one best suited those needs, and explored the use of these tools much more than this online article.
  • Plumpossum
    Plumpossum Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have the Bodymedia Core armband and I love it! I've worn it daily for three weeks now and have lost three pounds. I find it really motivating to try and meet my activity goals with it.

Part of the reason I bought an arm band is because I'm nursing and when I used online calculators, it was giving me 500 extra calories a day to eat. I found with the arm band that I'm only burning an extra 200 or so, and making adjustments for this has helped me get back on track.

If I were to buy a new one, I'd switch to one that syncs wirelessly (like the Bodymedia Link which uses bluetooth) because I like to check my tracker throughout the day. I have the digital display for the Core armband, but now that I have the info, I want ALL THE INFO.
  • Minnikka
    Minnikka Posts: 7
    Options
    I have the Jawbone Up 24. I use MFP for all my calorie tracking, and I wear the band 24 hours a day. My phone is an Android (Samsung Galaxy Note.) First I'm a swimmer, and mostly I'm a scuba diver. There is a company called Waterfi that takes existing name brand gear, and waterproofs it. I've been SO happy with my UP 24!! It sincs well to everything.

I highly recommend it. MFP is better in many ways - but Jawbone UP *helps* with making subtle lifestyle changes. A little nudge, a little encouragement - and it helps wake you up when you're not in REM!

If anyone has the Jawbone UP 24, and or is a swimmer/diver - Please friend me. :-) I'm kind-of flying solo on MFP... :(
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to get one......but yes, I've been concerned how it would react while driving.....lol. I drive a lot through the city......25-50 MPH......and have heard it will get stuck thinking you're actually exercising, when you are in fact sitting in a moving car......lol.

So currently, the only thing I use is a cheap "Crane" brand HRM +watch I picked up from ALDI Food Market for like 25$.....works great for my gym work outs, turn it on when I enter the gym, shut it off afterward
  • melissajane83
    melissajane83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had a Nike Fuel band and I loved it until it stopped charging. Now I have a fitbit. I like my fitbit better because I change out the bands to match what I am wearing plus it is more comfortable and it syncs with my phone. When I had my Nike Fuel band I had an android and it did not sync with it.
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    thanks all for the comments!!! I really appreciate it and so does few of my friends.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Put the One on my Christmas wish list, and I am down about 25 pounds in the past 4 months. Its not a magic device but has become a way for me to be accountable to myself (and others) about my activity level. I use it with an app (Pact, available for Android or Iphone) in which I commit to doing a certain # of healthy activities a week. If I meet my goals, I make a few $ each week. If I don't - I pay based on the $ I've committed. (Those who meet their goals split the pot, so to say, from those who don't.) Its a good motivator as I do NOT want to pay. :)

The Fitbit is a great device but any basic pedometer could work in the same manner. Use it to gauge an activity level and then challenge yourself to be more active. I think Omron makes good pedometers for less $ than a Fitbit. But the Fitbit syncs wirelessly, connects with MFP (MFP food database is better), and logs my history online automatically. Plus there is a community feature where you can add Fitbit-friends and compete to move up your leaderboard.

My husband uses a pedometer app on his phone. What works for one person may not be suitable for another.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit one. I just slip it in my pocket every day, set MFP to sedentary and it seamlessly tracks my calorie expenditure throughout the day. The more active you are, the more calories MFP gIves you to eat. It's pretty accurate too as the amount of weight I lose say in a week or a month matches up to the amount of calories MFP says I was in deficit during that time. I've had zero problems with it whatsoever. I even accidentally ran the thing through the washer and dryer twice with no damage. I have a bunch of family and friends on fitbit too which is great because it ranks you against them by number of steps which will really get you off your butt if you are a competitive person like I am. I urge you to check out some of the 6000 reviews on amazon to get an idea of how good it is and how great the company is too, they really stand behind their products. FYI a new wrist worn model is supposedly coming out soon which is supposed to have some new features.