Couch to 5k

Options
Hi :) I was wondering if anyone has tried and had success with the Couch to 5k. I just downloaded it to my phone and am going to start today. Thoughts??

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Great job! Start out slow... do NOT run more than 3 days per week!
  • dpnino
    dpnino Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow Emmaleigh! You are doing great! Keep it up!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I have never done the couch to 5K(although I am sure they are fine and fun to do), but I have a 10K training program on my iPhone and it runs through battery like CRAZY. So, charge your device before you go out and when you get back.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I'm starting today, as well. I was going to start this morning, but I woke up to a monsoon outside. It's now down to "drizzling" outside, but doesn't show any signs of stopping. I may have to start on the treadmill, and I hate running on those things. Oh, well....we can do it. I'll be at the gym in a few. :)
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    Wow Emmaleigh! You are doing great! Keep it up!

Thanks! I always post on the beginnners running boards, because I hate to see people get injured and lose out on the love of running!
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    I'm starting today, as well. I was going to start this morning, but I woke up to a monsoon outside. It's now down to "drizzling" outside, but doesn't show any signs of stopping. I may have to start on the treadmill, and I hate running on those things. Oh, well....we can do it. I'll be at the gym in a few. :)

Carol - running in the rain is fun! As long as it isnt downpouring I would say go for it. I have run in all sorts of conditions!
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Um ... just take your time with the training, and don't run more than three times a week. And if you do get an injury, take some time off to heal, and then continue the training.
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Yes I am on week 6 of this program. I just did a 3k race today and have a 5k at the end of the month. I downloaded the podcasts for this onto my ipod. It's the best thing i have done. I never thought i would be running for 25 mins without walking - it really does work and I am heavy, still have a lot of weight to lose so it's a great program. I am moving onto the bridge to 10k at the end of the month.

Take it steady and make sure you get your rest days in and you will be fine. Enjoy!
  • Kcribley
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here and normally don't participate in message boards too much but I just happened to notice your post as I was about to log out and I wanted to let you know that the C25K program is great!

It is proven successful and is very popular. I'm on Week 5. I literally started from scratch (no running) and today I ran 2 miles! I'm actually training for a marathon this year but I'm starting with the C25K plan until I get a solid base of 3 miles.

I can't say enough great things about it!

If you want more information, I'd be glad to give more!

I also have a Facebook running group I started (M-Runners) (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_164849446882919&ap=1) mainly to provide info and support and I also blog about my training on http://katrinacribley.com/category/metamorphosis-runner/. If you're interested, check them out. If not, no worries.

I wish you much success with C25K! I personally know many people who are using it or have used it and love it!
  • athenafl
    athenafl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I did couch to 5K several years ago to get started running. I love it and have recommended it to others who were also very pleased with it.

Good luck!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 6 of this. After I finished day 1 of week 1, my hip muscles were so sore, I hobbled around the house the whole next day. Yesterday, though, I jogged for 25 minutes and I am not sore at all today. I'm actually looking forward to week 7 and have signed up for a 5k at the end of January. I hope you like it and good luck. :)
  • daphnest
    daphnest Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Im going to run 2 5k this year but need help and support. Last year I tryed but chicken out before August and this year my husband and kids want to do it with me. PLEASE HELP ME.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Graduated C25K in November, ran my first 5K in December, running my 2nd next Saturday...great program!
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    I'm gonna start it Monday. I can easily walk a 5k, so my goal is to run it. Ahhhh.....
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I can't say enough good things about the C25K program. I finished it last year and have ran 2 5K's since. I was never a runner. Even at my thinnest and most fit I struggled to get through running a mile straight. By the end of the program I could 3 miles straight no problem.

My biggest tips are to start slower than you think you need to. Don't worry about how fast other people are going. Build your endurance first then you can work on speed. If you're going to run on a treadmill have at least a 1-2% incline, it will make the transition into running outside easier. Also don't skimp on a good pair of running shoes. If you can go to a running store. They will watch you walk and help determine the best shoe for you. When I started the program I spent $100 on my running shoes. I had never spent that much money on a pair of shoes that didn't have a heel but they have been worth every penny.

Good luck!!
  • NZGeekGirl
    Options
    I've hear a lot of good things about this programme as well. I have it on my list of things I plan to complete this year.

I also agree that it is worthwhile investing in some really good running shoes, get fitted for them properly, you won't regret it! Good luck!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am bridging to 10k and this from not being able to run AT ALL! now I love it, stretch more than you think you need to before and after and get yourself some great sounds so you can sing and shimmy as you walk or run lol!

Follow the programme and don't be tempted to miss out stages IT WORKS! enjoy becoming the best runner you can be!
  • Reve2011
    Options
    Day 1 went well :) thank you for all the input it is greatly appreciated. So nice to read all the success stories too! :-)
  • dux1fan
    dux1fan Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Rubysparkle....

Thats awesome!! Good for you. I want to start running but I am nursing a Lisfranc facture on my foot and haven't been able to run at all...even start any type of program. Any suggestions?