Crunchy Craving?

Options
Ok, so I don't get cravings for specific foods sometimes but I crave the "crunch". Like I have to be crunching on something. I thought at first maybe I just need to chew so I tried the gum thing and that didn't help.

Is there anyone else with this issue? LOL I know it is odd.

Also, if anyone knows of any low cal crunchy things that would be great to try. Sometimes carrots work but not always. LOL

SORRY FOR MULTIPLE POST.....DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Only thing coming to my mind is rice cakes.
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options

That's a good idea!
  • vegetable chips the exotic ones In the health food area In the grocery store. They are sooooo yummy!
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I don't think it's odd at all - I have the same craving sometimes. I think I just need the crunch, as well. Rice cakes are a good option, and probably healthier than the chips I will indulge in every once in a while. I get a few plain tortilla chips (serving size is 9), and a tiny bit of salsa, and crunch away. I don't do it often, but it is just enough to say I got it without going crazy with my calories, fat, and sodium. I think it's like 140-180 calories and it "fixes" the craving. I just substitute it for one of my snacks, then go get on the treadmill to burn it off real quick! :)
  • MCS64
    MCS64 Posts: 126
    Options
    YES! I have that problem too. Mostly in the evening. I grab for popcorn, low fat grahm crackers or even a little cup of dry cereal (I like Honey Nut Cheerios)
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    I like rice works sweet chilli brown rice chips! :)
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I cut up a couple of stalks of celery and take them to work. It's definitely crunchy and it wards off the munchies for me. Bonus? They are pracitaclly no calories.

~S
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I managed to get rid of that, but it took a lot of time and effort. Good luck!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I love Lundberg Brown rice cakes - usually with a swipe of almond/peanut butter. 100 cal mini bag of popcorn is good too. I also love Trader Joes Popped Chips (or the brand PopChips) but usually have 1/2 serving with lunch and put them away :-) I get Brothers all natural Fruit Crisps at Costco - but they are sweeter (crunchy though). There is also a Sweet & Salty 100 cal pack that I get once in awhile.
  • christinelois
    Options
    Whenever I get that crunchy craving, I always have Pistachio or Almond nuts in store. :D
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    When I want to snack on something, especially if I'm watching TV or using the computer, I core an apple, cut it into bite size pieces and put it in a bowl. If I'm thinking ahead, I cool the apple off in the fridge first.
  • struth03
    Options
    Make a big mixed jar of nuts and then grab a small handful when you get peckish!! Look for health stores for larger bags! And as you only need a small amount at a time they last ages before re-topping!!

The top six healthist and beneficial nuts are

Walnuts
    Almonds
    Cashew
    Pecans
    Brazil
    Macadamia Nuts

They are crunchy and all taste different so you wont get bored!! If you want a bit of sweet kick...add a small amount of raisins or sultanas and they will act as a small sweet suprise if they are in the handful!! I recommend eating the Brazil last aswell to kick any need to go back for more!!
  • PhilBlock
    PhilBlock Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Celery is a great item for the "crunch" and 3 medium stalks are about 35 calories. Plus, after the body finishes digesting them the net calories are negative. They take more calories to digest than are in them...that's ALWAYS a good thing! plus you could add some natural peanut butter or hummus to them for some extra flavor ;-)
  • spiritgurl
    spiritgurl Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Try the caramel rice cake and spread a thin layer of peanut butter on it...delicious and satisfying. A little bit of hummus with your raw veggies makes it a bit more of an exciting snack. I also like the light laughing cow cheese on wasa wafers-crunchy and filling.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Celery
    raw carrots
    apple slices
    Popchips
    kale chips
    roasted brussels (I think this is my current answer to everything!)
    small doses of nuts
    popcorn (love the mini bags!)
    for more calories: microwave a dampened tortilla for a minute-1:30, until it's crispy.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Wasabi and Soy almonds were my favorite, now I'm also enjoying Newman's High Protein pretzels (they are high protein for pretzels, but not compared to other choices). I got them at Whole Foods.
  • Larry7995
    Options
    Corazona's healthy tortilla chips and salsa?
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I know this is horrible, but I just bite the bullet and eat a serving of bite size corn chips (15-23) depending on brand and some hot sauce. I know it's what I want so I just eat it. I do count out the chips and make sure I only have a serving. :)
  • jooliedi
    jooliedi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like rice cakes with peanut butter...
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Celery
    raw carrots
    apple slices
    Popchips
    kale chips
    roasted brussels (I think this is my current answer to everything!)
    small doses of nuts
    popcorn (love the mini bags!)
    for more calories: microwave a dampened tortilla for a minute-1:30, until it's crispy.

I have to agree with you about the brussel sprouts... yum!