Protien Intake

I has a question! Can you eat to much protien? I had a chicken breast for lunch, and just regular protien in milk and other things, and it says I'm over my protien intake. I'm planing on makeing chicken for dinner as well and I know I will be way over what they say I should have. :grumble:

Replies

• EmilyGrace1981
    EmilyGrace1981 Posts: 26 Member
    I has a question! Can you eat to much protien? I had a chicken breast for lunch, and just regular protien in milk and other things, and it says I'm over my protien intake. I'm planing on makeing chicken for dinner as well and I know I will be way over what they say I should have. :grumble:
  • super_phine my feelings are that if you are close either below or above the recommended protein intake, no problem, there are some other posts on this exact issue. Too much protein may impede your weight loss if it happens each day, but every so often, I don't feel it's a problem. Just my take though. I'd recommend checking the other posts on this same issue. Good Luck.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member

Good! :happy: You can eat too much protein, but it has to be A LOT, and the rest of your diet has to be in bad shape as well for it to be a problem. I was eating as much as 60% protein a few months ago with no ill effect. This site recommends a really low amount, which isn't applicable to people who are active. Protein helps build and repair muscle mass, and neither fat nor carbs can do that. Carbs are great for energy and helping to shuttle nutrients to the right places, but if you don't have the protein to send to the muscles, that's not much help. Keep eating that protein!
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    I agree with songbyrdsweet. The protein recommendation here is low and I almost always am over in the protein category and have been losing weight. It's good for your muscles. So, enjoy all the protein you like (within reason) and only worry about it if you start to see negative results (which you really shouldn't).

*Kistinbee*
  • abetterme
    abetterme Posts: 393
    I am so glad super_phine asked this question cause I am having the same problem and I also was beginning to wonder if it was going to become a problem. I only have 2 points left for protein and I still have an afternoon snack and supper to eat yet today.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I am so glad super_phine asked this question cause I am having the same problem and I also was beginning to wonder if it was going to become a problem. I only have 2 points left for protein and I still have an afternoon snack and supper to eat yet today.

That won't be a problem at all. Both protein and carbs are 4 calories per gram, so exchanging one for the other won't change your caloric intake. If it's constantly off, you can manually change the % of protein you want to eat. 25-40% calories from protein is much better than 15%.