eating healthy while at work

Options

Replies

• shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm an office manager at an Insurance Company- I plan my lunch out the day before and like someone else said only eat what I brought. I eat light during the day (just my preference) so it's usually a yogurt, string cheese, apple, and hard boiled eggs. I have some granola bars and almonds as a treat if I'm particularly ravenous that day. If there is a work lunch I eat whatever we have just watch the portions.
  • AshleyArleneNP
    AshleyArleneNP Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse practitioner in family practice. I pack my lunch with a morning and afternoon snack. I also keep healthy, non perishables at my desk just in case. We have access to a fridge and mircowave which is nice. We don't get drug reps often (due to company policy) so that is kind of nice (They always bring the worst food!). I agree, planning ahead is the way to go. For me, avoiding the panic, I'm staving moment is key. I am pretty busy so I don't have to worry about it too much but it stinks when people bring snacks and leave them in the breakroom! It is so hard. Luckily, my co-works have been very support (it is a small office) and have tried to cut back :-)
  • SlightlyMadman
    SlightlyMadman Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm an office worker, and my biggest problem is that we have a kitchen fully stocked with horrible snacks. I make sure to always have some fruit, nuts, and cans of V8 so I can treat the urge to snack. I do go overboard with the nuts sometimes and end up over my fat for the day, but it's still better than chips.
  • hirstrl
    hirstrl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    :laugh: im an admin assist. i eat breakfast and lunch at home and bring snacks to work with me. i alway log my food before i eat it. i drink only water or green tea during the day. the hardest part is that my office is full of people who bring in treats or order out. I have been getting really good at saying no to them. the hardest part was convincing myself of this. "i can have that (donut, slice of pizza, or cupcake) anytime i want. so i can say no now and plan for it another time." i also make sure i tell everyone i see at work that there are treats in the breakroom. that way they will eat them up before i get a chance :happy:
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I used to work at CVS. I would put a small frozen chicken breast and a handful of frozen veggies into a Ziploc Zip & Steam bag. Store in the breakroom fridge, put into microwave about 8 minutes before my break, and it would be ready for me when I got back. I also kept a little jar of seasoning in the breakroom so I could sprinkle some on after it was cooked.

And instead of grabbing a Snickers bar for sudden starving moments, I'd get a protein bar. These things, along with walking to/from work, helped me lose 50 pounds in a year.

Ohh!! I love this idea-- I'm going to try it!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Legal secretary; it's easy to eat healthy here. I can only eat what I bring, and when I shop and pack my food, I'm virtuous.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I'm a legal assistant. I work from 8:30-5:30 in an office that supplies treats about 3x per week - usually a birthday treat of some sort.

I eat breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snack at work. I bring everything from home. As long as you have a refrigerator and microwave at work, it's easy to eat "healthy" while there.
  • babyshroom
    babyshroom Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Graphic designer at a large company, so there's usually cake or treats brought in once every week or two. Hard to say no to, but not impossible. I get up early to work out before heading to work in the morning, so I'll either pack something for lunch while I'm cooling down, or stop at a grocery store before I get to the office. I usually have a large lunch bag of food that can last the week so I don't have to remember that much.

So I keep a loaf of bread and jar of peanut butter and usually some fiber1 bars at my desk for breakfasts, I'll bring in a banana for my mid-morning snack, and lunch is either a sandwich and yogurt/pudding/fruit cup or yogurt and some fruits/veg for lunch. I've started bringing portioned out crackers and cheese for the afternoon too, also easy to just bring a week's worth on Mondays.

I usually eat at my desk to catch up on reading the news or surfing the net instead of eating in the lunchroom, which is pretty anti-social BUT I don't have to see/crave what my coworkers are eating.
  • beleeLafter
    Options
    I have a few jobs so I'm always on the go. Each job has a fridge so I almost always pack my food for the day. I even leave extra food at each job just in case I didn't prepare for the day properly. Makes staying on track easier. And then sometimes I just splurge :tongue:
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I am a financial analyst for a power utility company. I bring my breakfast and lunch to work most days. Occasionally, we order food and I try to order the healthiest options but I sometimes order what looks good and accommodate for the extra calories by eating steamed or roasted vegetables for dinner.

We have a fridge so I stock snacks at the beginning of the week. I keep Greek yogurt, fruit and almonds on hand for am and afternoon snacks. Eating a Greek yogurt with an ounce of slivered almonds or having fruit with some dry roasted almonds and drinking water satisfies my cravings when I feel hungry mid morning and mid afternoon. I try to make enough extra at my dinner meals to have left overs for lunch.

One fun thing that I did was start a Wellness Group at my office. We plan walks, activities and once a month we have a healthy potluck. I have discovered some great new recipes through the meals everyone has shared.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Paper pusher

I pre-pack my snacks and lunch the night before
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hazardous waste processor. I eat good breakfast at home and skip lunch. If I'm going out for lunch at work I skip breakfast.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Strategy Manager for a big chemical company. I work from the office 1 day a week, otherwise at home most of the time. When I go to the office I buy a soup and fruit from the small cafe downstairs, but ditch the crackers.

I plan my home lunches depending on what's in the fridge, put it together and eat it as a meal at my desk, but otherwise no snacks, just tea and coffee. Took a lot of discipline to ignore the kitchen during the day, but I've gotten used to it.
  • RiverRun61
    Options

...and these little egg muffins for breakfast (I make them on Sunday and package them up in the fridge for each morning).

Please share! What are these little egg muffins? Sounds low carb to me...
  • ordinaryloser
    ordinaryloser Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Admin Assistant.

Meal Prep (1/2 Week to Full Week's Worth)
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I am a legal receptionist in an office that eats a lot!

That has never really been an issue for me, because I do not like food that has been excessively breathed over :smile:

I bring my lunch and snacks and surprisingly I learned that I really enjoy my own cooking much better than most of the food I would be buying for lunch.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I pack breakfast., lunch and snacks and always keep oatmeal, instant soup packet, and protein shake powder for days when I am too lazy or forget to pack. I also always keep snacky foods in the car and NOT nearby (I do this so that I limit my snacking)

I pack my lunch once every other - I cut up the fruits and veggies for 2 days and then usually alternate between one day of yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast with the oatmeal I keep at work.

I eat just about the same thing everyday (it's boring, but nutritious and works for me)

Breakfast - yogurt with granola OR cottage cheese with egg white or cantaloupe OR oatmeal with almonds and raisins
    Lunch - string cheese OR egg white AND mixed veggies with dip (hummus or guacamole and salsa)
    Snack - generally fruit, nuts, protein bar/ protein shake; I try to avoid but sometimes I eat pretzels or dry cereal for snacks
  • rebeccatackett
    rebeccatackett Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I work in a law office, very small firm. I'm the only paralegal for 2 attorneys, one of which is never in my office. I have a small hole in the wall "kitchen" with full size fridge, microwave and coffee pot. Wal-Mart is just up the road so about once a month I go and stock up on Lean Cuisines, Healthy Choice, bananas, lunch meat, low calorie cheese, bread, lettuce, tomato, etc. whatever I feel like. Then when lunch time rolls around, I just go grab and heat whatever I feel like for the day. The other attorney doesn't stock the kitchen area with anything except diet Pepsi so I don't have to worry about anyone taking my stuff. My only off day is Fridays. I have to work in another office with the "other" boss. Friday's are usually slow so that means he takes us to lunch which means plans go out the window but if he isn't taking us to lunch, then I can go to McD's or Subway. I can order from both and stay within my calories for the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm an accountant and I prepare my lunches at home and bring them to work along with whatever snacks I'm going to have.
  • srl32000
    srl32000 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I bring ready to drink shakes with me wherever I go. I like Muscle Milk Light - 140 calories 20g protein, 7g carbs - whey protein, Proti- Anytime Shakes 100 Calories, also whey based. Each are 8.25 ounces. Also, Ostrim Meat Sticks with 80 cal, 14g protein and 2g carbs... and my new favorite Chocolate Peanut Butter Quest Bars, they travel well last a long time in the briefcase and 20g protein, 25g carbs and 17g fiber with sea salt, stevia and gluten free.

Also, I grab Chobani or Fage 0%, drop in a stevia or splend and a splash of natural vanilla extract or real cinnamon powder and mix it up... hmmmmmmmm!