workout routine question

Options
i'm a newb to working out- i started doing pushups and squats in my basement and after a week decided i could make a routine and stick with it.

on a whim, i joined planet fitness, and had some questions.

currently, i walk 3 miles, which takes a smidge less than an hour for me, then go into their "no judgement zone" where they have the different machines and you rotate.

i dont know exactly what i should be doing.

what i currently do there is set the weights to whatever i can handle and do a set of 10 reps, chill for like 20 sec, then when i come back to it, i can only do like 5 reps before i get muscle failure. i do 3 sets at 5 reps each and at the end feel exhausted.

am i doing that right? should i increase the weights for the first set and lower them each time i get muscle failure?

at the end of it, i've worked just about my whole body... is it better to do legs or arms only and alternate or just do it all and take a day off in between and still walk every day?

thanks!

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    What are your fitness goals?
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    What are your fitness goals?

This...
  • daniel_parrett
    daniel_parrett Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i dont really have any...

im about 360, so pretty much to lose weight of course, but for working out, i just want to do enough to feel accomplished- basically to go until i'm sore the next day.

i dont have ambitions to be a body builder by any means, but i want to do everything in my power to feel better about myself.

if that makes sense...
  • SweetsBySarah
    Options
    Obviously, doing anything is better than nothing. I find a lot of good beginner type workouts by just Google-ing "beginner weight workout" or something similar. Something like this is helpful. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner_weight_training.htm

Just make sure you aren't lifting to the point of comprimising on your form. And if your budget can swing a few sessions with a personal trainer just for the knowledge base they can provide, I would do that. A lot of gyms offer a complimentary session with a trainer, not sure about Planet Fitness. Something to think about through.

Good luck and great job getting out there! :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

im about 360, so pretty much to lose weight of course, but for working out, i just want to do enough to feel accomplished- basically to go until i'm sore the next day.

i dont have ambitions to be a body builder by any means, but i want to do everything in my power to feel better about myself.

if that makes sense...

# 1 priority>>> Calorie deficit
    # 2 find some goals
    # 3- try Nerd Fitness beginner body weight workout
    # 4 loook up starting strength, strong lifts, new rules of lifting- all will be limited at Planet Fitness due to their chain philosophy on fitness- BUT you should be able to take and apply concepts/principles and get somewhere with DB's and what's available.
    # 5- take a moment and realize you are awesome for getting started.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options

if that makes sense...

# 1 priority>>> Calorie deficit
    # 2 find some goals
    # 3- try Nerd Fitness beginner body weight workout
    # 4 loook up starting strength, strong lifts, new rules of lifting- all will be limited at Planet Fitness due to their chain philosophy on fitness- BUT you should be able to take and apply concepts/principles and get somewhere with DB's and what's available.
    # 5- take a moment and realize you are awesome for getting started.

I keep looking for the "like" button

Also protein, if for no other reason than it keeps you feeling full longer than carbs and fat.
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Also check out Fitocracy.com. It is basically MyFitnessPal for working out, and has lots of folks willing to give advice, groups for different types of workouts, etc.
  • daniel_parrett
    daniel_parrett Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    great advice so far, thanks for the replies!
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You might want to rest more than 20 seconds before doing the repeat sets. You probably want to rest at least a minute. Since you are new to weight lifting, perhaps up to 2.
    Planet fitness doesn't really lend itself to the stronglifts type program. When I first started out I used the machines. The biggest thing you will want to do is to try to get some type of a program with some type of a progression> I am sure if you do a google search for "beginner weight machine workout" you will get lots of hits. You will want to do mainlty the multiple muscle exercises, such as Bench press, militatry press,Lat pulldown, Rows, leg press, and not concentrate so much on the single muscle exercises such as biceps curls, triceps curls, etc.
    Here is an example of one of the google searches:
    http://www.workoutbox.com/workouts/muscle-building-workouts/rookie/beginners-muscle-building-workout-using-gym-machines/

This is quite a few exercises to do every day. I might alter it by doing 3 sets, and dropping a few of the exercises, such as the curls, knee extensions, pec flys, abd crunch and tricep pushdowns. Do the weights 3 days a week. Consider doing cardio on the other days, and take one day a week off. Atlernatively, you could do an upper and lower body split, and do the weights 4 days a week.
    Mike,
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Great job getting in there! The beginning is the hardest part, so great work making the first step!

I agree that since you're wanting to lose weight caloric deficit is the way to go. Were I in your position, I would combine some steady state cardio with a beginner's strength program. The one JaRocka mentioned above is great.

Cardio for calorie burnage
    Strength for sexiness