Is there running life after a major injury?

Options
This past weekend I planned to run a 5 mile Spartan Mud/Obstacle Race. I say planned because one mile in, I lost my grip on a 12 foot climing wall and shattered my heel bone. I have never broken a bone before but I can say it was the most intense and excrutiating pain I've ever felt. Keep in mind I have 2 children. So with my disappointment in tow, I crawled to the sidelines completely unable to apply any weight to my foot or even try to take the shoe off. Orthopedics has told me that it is a major mess. I have to have reconsructive surgery where the doctor will insert pins and plates to repair the damage. I have never been a runner but I was up to 2 solid miles and was working with a trainer twice a week. I had completed 2 mud/obstacle runs in the past. Has anyone else ever come back from a beginner runner with a severe injury to being a runner? I have always wanted to be a runner and was finally making progress toward my goal. This has been so heartbreaking for me! Share your stories please!

Replies

• lalamoose64
    lalamoose64 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    look to the recent Boston Bombing Runners. Many have sub com to limb loss and amputation to return to exercise. Not to discount your injury, heels are porous bones that will require time to heal not to mention the recovery from surgery. Follow Dr. advice get a sports minded Physical Therapist and you will be back on your "feet" when the body is ready! Swimming & Yoga are excellent ways to recovery!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I had some pretty awesome knee surgery about 10 years ago and was leery and lazy, so I got many years of recovery in. I'd say "yes, probably" and that you'd suffer from some limitations. This is why I stay away from obstacle courses. I can barely get into my office without tripping on the sidewalk, let alone do monkey bars or anything that requires attention and dexterity :/
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Wow.. That's an awful thing to have to go thru.. All I can offer for comparison is that I blew out my hamstring badly on a race - think black blue red & purple from my butt to my calf,, I should have done some PT but I didn't so it took me forever to get over it.

So I'd say, get some for real physical therapy after your surgery & stick with the routine they prescribe. It'll help you recover quicker.
  • Curvygoth
    Curvygoth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    In 1994 I had major spinal surgery. I was told I'd ever be able to do physical sports again (aged 21). At 39 I won my first national medal in a veterans hammer throwing competition. I expect the surgeon would have had a fit if he'd thought I'd risked his handy work on such a 'dangerous sport - but I did hammer for nearly 10 years.

I feel your frustrations though as I'm currently out of sport due to an slow recovering ankle injury following a fall last year. I know I will get there again though - the body is quite resilient. Swimming is a great suggestion. Its hard but you have to be patient and try other ways to be active until its ready to resume running again.

Good luck
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I seriously hope so! In October 2012 I broke my right ankle, and was able to train for and complete 3 half-marathons the following year. this spring, i slipped on the last bit of ice hanging around and have broken my left ankle (all the bones), resulting in surgery, a plate & 12 pins. My ortho says that if i'm a very good girl & follow the PT requirements, there's no reason i shouldn't be running half-marathons again next spring.

good luck & listen to the doctors.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you as I've never done anything that serious. I'm curious to here others' responses though. I had ankle surgery in February and there are days I worry that I'll never recover enough to run again.
  • mistyloveslife
    mistyloveslife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your input. I know people recover from more serious injuries and set backs but not being athletic or a runner in the first place really worries me. I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis so I'm trying to get healthy and a broken foot really set me back. I'm motivated though and I will remember those who defy the odds and come back to show the world who's boss!