Does all liquid intake count towards water intake?

Options
For example: I have had about 48 oz. of water today..plain water from the water cooler. I've also had about 12 oz. of ice tea, 14 oz. of unsweetened vanilla almond milk & about 16 oz. of coffee. Plenty to drink, but although I've had more than 64 oz. of "liquids" - I haven't had 64 oz. of pure water. Thoughts?

Replies

• LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    I think it depends on how your body processes the liquid.

Using myself as an example, I have to count only my water for water. I can drink tea (hot or cold) with only some lemon juice (so no sweetener) and it doesn't help me like water does. But I have friends that can drink water, coffee, diet soda, tea and it helps like water does.

I know that with Weight Watchers you could count unsweetened (or artificially sweetened like with Splenda) liquid as water (It's been several years since I've done weight watchers so I'm not sure if that's still true). Again it didn't work for me.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Yes it does
  • 23crizzle
    23crizzle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I only count plan water.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I also only count plain water.
    I actually drink 1 additional glass per cup of tea as well.

But you'll get a lot of different answers to this.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I've only been counting plain water, but I drink a lot of other things too so I was curious to see how people were handling it. My doc actually said all liquids "count" but water is better overall.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    As a nurse we count all liquids as 'fluid' intake, so I count my tea, milk, etc. I even put MIO drops into 95% of my water, because frankly the water is just not fantastic here. Popsicle's count too.

If I were to count only water, I 'might' get i cup a day.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/drinking-enough-water-topic-overview

An extract from that article:
    Do you have to drink only water to stay hydrated?
    All liquids help you stay hydrated. Water is usually the best choice, because it’s free (if you’re drinking tap water) and has no sugar or calories. But most healthy people can get enough fluid through the beverages they consume every day. These can include water, fruit juices, coffee, sodas, iced tea, and other drinks.

Experts say that it's not true that beverages that have caffeine-such as coffee, tea, and cola drinks-always dehydrate you. Healthy people who consume moderate amounts of caffeine don't lose more fluid than people who don't have any caffeine.1 A moderate amount of caffeine is about 200 to 300 milligrams a day. That's about two to four 8-ounce cups of coffee.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yes, those each have an overall hydrating effect, as do coffee, soda, most beers, etc. Scientific studies have demonstrated this, despite the caffeine/alcohol having a slight dehydrating effect.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Note, I would NOT count higher-proof alcoholic beverages. If I recall correctly, at about 8-10% alcohol by volume the dehydrating effect overtakes the hydrating effect.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Note, I would NOT count higher-proof alcoholic beverages. If I recall correctly, at about 8-10% alcohol by volume the dehydrating effect overtakes the hydrating effect.

I think I'll probably avoid counting an alcohol (just my opinion). I drink a glass of water to every glass of wine because wine (and any alcoholic beverage) dehydrates me quickly.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've only been counting plain water, but I drink a lot of other things too so I was curious to see how people were handling it. My doc actually said all liquids "count" but water is better overall.

I agree with the Doctor.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    If it looks like water from say, 50 feet or any liquid at night.....count it as water. imo of course.