Should I eat back my calories?

Options
I have a daily calorie goal of about 1500ish and like today for example, I burnt an extra 600ish at the gym!
That means I have 2100 calories that I can potentially consume.
Today I only ate my goal of 1500 so I had the extra 600, my sister said I should eat back those 600 calories? But I'm scared that if I do, I won't lose any weight at all.. and surely it defeats the point of going to the gym and burning calories to begin with?

Thoughts?

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    This is a can of worms, some do and some don't

I do not, some eat back half

For me the exercise calories give a margin, but if you cycle 50 miles a day I guess you should eat them back

You have to do what works for you & feel happy with, if starving eat them, if stuffed then don't
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Your MFP initial calorie goal is based on your height, weight, and activity level and has your deficit built in. So by eating at 1500ish (based on your post) and no exercise you're already eating at a deficit.

Eating at a deficit is the key to losing weight of course. Exercise brings other health benefits. Since you burn more, you should eat more. Calorie burn estimates run high so many eat just some of them back.

I think it also depends on how aggressive your goal is. If your deficit is built on a .5-1 pound per week loss, you're probably fine to not eat them. But if you strive for a more aggressive deficit your body probably needs that extra nutrition.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's goals and if your profile is set-up accurately and if you're getting an accurate estimate of your calorie burns (MFP and gym machines tend to overestimate), then yes.

If you're relying on MFP or gym machines to get your calorie burn then you might want to eat back only 50-75% of those calories.

If you're using a TDEE method or some other site to figure your calorie goals then you may not need to add extra for your exercise.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • motivatemychange
    motivatemychange Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) I think I'll try aiming at eating half of what I burn from the gym next time!!
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    It also depends on what you're using to measure how many calories you're burning. Some things will be more accurate than others. MFP and machines are typically not as accurate as an actual heart rate monitor with a chest strap. If you're not using the HRM, I would not take the calorie burn at face value as it is probably too high. At that point, I would suggest eating back half.
  • motivatemychange
    Options
    It also depends on what you're using to measure how many calories you're burning. Some things will be more accurate than others. MFP and machines are typically not as accurate as an actual heart rate monitor with a chest strap. If you're not using the HRM, I would not take the calorie burn at face value as it is probably too high. At that point, I would suggest eating back half.

I have a polar HR monitor that I wear each time I exercise and that's what I put down in my MFP app when I log in my calories!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have a daily calorie goal of about 1500ish and like today for example, I burnt an extra 600ish at the gym!
    That means I have 2100 calories that I can potentially consume.
    Today I only ate my goal of 1500 so I had the extra 600, my sister said I should eat back those 600 calories? But I'm scared that if I do, I won't lose any weight at all.. and surely it defeats the point of going to the gym and burning calories to begin with?

Thoughts?

MFP as designed gives you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. That way people who can't/won't exercise still lose weight.

The purpose of exercise........to maintain lean muscle, to feel better, to be healthier....and oh, yeah burns some calories too.

When you have too large a calorie deficit you will lose fat + muscle. Most people are here to lower their body fat %.....eating too little can defeat the purpose of exercise (keeping muscle).

Now - the part that is (not controversial) .....just difficult to estimate. MFP (as well as machines) tend to give "generous" calorie burns. Start by eating back a portion (50-75%). If you feel tired & run down....you are not eating enough.
  • motivatemychange
    Options

MFP as designed gives you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. That way people who can't/won't exercise still lose weight.

The purpose of exercise........to maintain lean muscle, to feel better, to be healthier....and oh, yeah burns some calories too.

When you have too large a calorie deficit you will lose fat + muscle. Most people are here to lower their body fat %.....eating too little can defeat the purpose of exercise (keeping muscle).

Now - the part that is (not controversial) .....just difficult to estimate. MFP (as well as machines) tend to give "generous" calorie burns. Start by eating back a portion (50-75%). If you feel tired & run down....you are not eating enough.

Makes sense! My sister said the same thing, I just wanted to know if everyone else thought the same or different!
    I probably won't eat back all my calories just incase what I've logged in is an overestimation but I like the idea of eating about half back! :)

I'll give it a go tomorrow and see what happens from then on! Thank you for the help!
  • sungoldruth
    sungoldruth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I usually do not eat back calories, but I like the idea of eating half back.

By the way, does anyone know how to make sure the tracker (with weight lost) appears at the bottom of a post?

Thanks.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I usually do not eat back calories, but I like the idea of eating half back.

By the way, does anyone know how to make sure the tracker (with weight lost) appears at the bottom of a post?

Thanks.

Look at the top of the forum posts, it says Home >Recent Posts > My Topics > Settings > Search

Click on Settings. There is a check box there to choose to display it.