Leg cramps, what's your best remedy?

Options
I get a lot of leg cramps, usually calf, but lately ankle/foot and sometimes even full leg cramps from thigh to ankle which are really unpleasant :sick:

I usually try to massage them, but wondered if there were any other remedies, vitamins or natural supplements (maybe I'm lacking something?) I might be able to try to stop them from happening in the first place?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Check out your potassium. Also do stretches before exercising. Drink enough water.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Crisps. Halfway through a tennis match, serious calf cramps, perfect excuse for a pack of crisps. Works, too.
  • bethanytapp
    bethanytapp Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was having lots of leg cramps for a while (waking me up every night) and a homopath told me to take chealated magnesium. I did for about a month and have now been fine.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Depends on when you're getting them. If it's during/after exercise, make sure you're stretching and cooling down properly and drinking enough water.

If it's night-time cramps, definitely more water (I keep a bottle by my bed) and try to stretch the cramps out as soon as you're aware of them.

It's possible that it's a mineral deficiency causing them - potassium, calcium and magnesium are the usual suspects. But vitamin B12, D and E deficiencies can also cause it. While the obvious remedy would be supplements, it may be worth checking out with your doctor which you're deficient in so you're not overdosing / taking unnecessary supplements.

One weird tip I heard for nighttime muscle cramps (if the above doesn't work) is to keep a small sliver of soap at the bottom of the bed, under the sheets. I've never tried it myself, but there's a number of folk who swear by it...
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Could be salt deficiency?
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Magnesium. I was getting awful leg cramps and started taking the magnesium and they completely went away. I took it for several months and no leg cramps at all. I recently ran out and decided to see if I could do without it. I haven't taken it for about a week now, and guess what. The leg cramps are back! I am going today to get another bottle.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Depends on when you're getting them. If it's during/after exercise, make sure you're stretching and cooling down properly and drinking enough water.

If it's night-time cramps, definitely more water (I keep a bottle by my bed) and try to stretch the cramps out as soon as you're aware of them.

It's possible that it's a mineral deficiency causing them - potassium, calcium and magnesium are the usual suspects. But vitamin B12, D and E deficiencies can also cause it. While the obvious remedy would be supplements, it may be worth checking out with your doctor which you're deficient in so you're not overdosing / taking unnecessary supplements.

One weird tip I heard for nighttime muscle cramps (if the above doesn't work) is to keep a small sliver of soap at the bottom of the bed, under the sheets. I've never tried it myself, but there's a number of folk who swear by it...

What if the cramps are occurring before exercise, like at breakfast?

Does it have to be unperfumed soap?
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I was having lots of leg cramps for a while (waking me up every night) and a homopath told me to take chealated magnesium. I did for about a month and have now been fine.

^^ This! Lacking in magnesium is the usual problem, also try Himalayan salts and iodine.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    A foam roller is your friend ... works really well , I find
  • emergencytennis
    Options

^^ This! Lacking in magnesium is the usual problem, also try Himalayan salts and iodine.

What are Himalayan salts. How much do they cost.
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Stretching does help, stand on your bottom step and gently lower your heels towards the ground....hold for a few seconds and repeat etc.

Also I drink smart water, it has the electrolytes like Gatorade but no flavoring or artificial colors etc....
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Stretching does help, stand on your bottom step and gently lower your heels towards the ground....hold for a few seconds and repeat etc.

Also I drink smart water, it has the electrolytes like Gatorade but no flavoring or artificial colors etc....

What is smart water? What are the benefits?
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I use calf compression sleeves. some swear by them, some say they don't help. I like them. I use them for my longer runs and esp during recovery. helps with leg cramps and shin splints.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options

it has electrolytes. like unflavored Gatorade.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of leg cramps, usually calf, but lately ankle/foot and sometimes even full leg cramps from thigh to ankle which are really unpleasant :sick:

I usually try to massage them, but wondered if there were any other remedies, vitamins or natural supplements (maybe I'm lacking something?) I might be able to try to stop them from happening in the first place?

Especially as you are losing weight, it is easy to get dehydrated. So things to check include drinking lots of water, SaltSticks are a great product - http://www.saltstick.com/, dill pickles, pickle juice (I use http://www.goldenpicklejuice.com/ when doing heavy training workouts - such as a race), and SportLegs are a great product to ward off the cramps as well - http://www.sportlegs.com/about/welcome.asp .

However, the single most effective way is through training. The more trained you are, the less chance of cramping from workouts - even if you take all of those products and are well hydrated. There is no substitute for training....
  • emergencytennis
    Options

it has electrolytes. like unflavored Gatorade.

Thanks. I had a look in the supermarket and I couldn't find anything like this. Do you have a brand name I could look up?
  • donnarogers6211
    donnarogers6211 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You are going to think I am crazy but this works. Take about 2 tablespoons of plain yellow mustard. I think it is the vinegar in it that works. I do this and usually the cramps are gone before I even make it back to the bed.