eating healthy while at work

Options
124»

Replies

• kuntry_navySD
    kuntry_navySD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    full time student, and aircraft mechanic. I cook all my meals in the morning after the gym and before school
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I bring leftovers most days. I typically cook a healthy dinner so I just make a little extra and tomorrow's lunch is ready.

When there are no leftovers my go to lunches are: Sandwich wrap on high fiber wrap, cottage cheese with spinach and tomatoes, celery and carrots w/ pb, apple slices or whole grain crackers w/ hummus.

If all else fails, I keep cans of low sodium soup in my desk.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I work mornings doing HR Administration assistance, and I work evenings as a part-time librarian. I bring breakfasts to one job and dinners to another; I usually eat a big lunch late-ish in the day between jobs. I take granola+peanut butter and a banana or apple for breakfast, then hummus + carrots and a cheese stick for dinner. I eat most of my proteins and calories generally in the middle of the day when I have time to actually prepare and enjoy a meal :)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My office is right across the hall from a big conference room, where there is a happy hour party going on RIGHT NOW AS WE SPEAK! I'm in my office, stomach growling...I just had a Mott's natural apple sauce. :grumble: This is my second week at my new job and I feel like a slug being chained to a desk all day.

I will NOT eat the cookies and I WILL go to the gym after work!!!
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Every other Monday I buy sandwich fixings and salad stuff for two weeks and keep in the fridge at work. No muss no fuss, no forgetting to bring my lunch or not having time to pack one in the morning. Works for me.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options

...and these little egg muffins for breakfast (I make them on Sunday and package them up in the fridge for each morning).

Please share! What are these little egg muffins? Sounds low carb to me...

Something like this- http://allrecipes.com/recipe/paleo-omelet-muffins/

You will have to figure out the baking time and temp for your own oven, I have found

I change the fillings weekly- this week we have red and green peppers, onions, frozen chopped spinach, and feta. Those silicone cups make these come out better vs a paper liner- I also mix my fillings, and fill the cups like 3/4 of the way with them, then scramble the eggs with my seasonings...you will need like .5- .75 eggs per muffin cup, then I use a small measuring cup to spoon the eggs over the fillings
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Technical writer. I pack my food, and we have a fridge here that I keep stocked. Typically- berries and apples, nut packs, meat/protein of some sort, boiled eggs, nut butter. Tea.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am an Electrical Engineer working at an industrial skid packaged equipment manufacturer. I eat the same thing during the day every day. A Special K Chocolaty Pretzel bar for B and a small 1.5oz Jack Link's Beef Jerky and 1oz Wonderful Pistachios for L. I like extremely light day food to leave lots of calories for a large dinner. If I get hungry and I have small boxes of Sunmaid Raisins. Been doing this every week day and just hit a 70 day streak.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I'm in sales. I pack my lunch the night before. I like to be able to eat all day so I cut up lots of fruits and veggies and take them to work. Since it seems like something different is always on special at the store for these I get a good variety. i also store string cheese and yogurt in the fridge and Fiber One products, almonds, and dry cereal in my drawer. I also have small chocolates/candies for when I really need something sweet. I usually keep my lunch small as I eat all day and usually am running or walking on lunch (usually eat a protein bar).

There are cakes, cookies, pizza, donuts, etc here on average 3 times a week. ALWAYS on Monday. I know on Monday I will probably cut half a piece of whatever is brought in (the lady makes AMAZING treats) so I plan for it. I usually, otherwise, avoid the work stuff. Yesterday everyone had pizza and I came to my office for my protein bar and got some homework done for lunch.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I pack breakfast., lunch and snacks and always keep oatmeal, instant soup packet, and protein shake powder for days when I am too lazy or forget to pack. I also always keep snacky foods in the car and NOT nearby (I do this so that I limit my snacking)

I pack my lunch once every other - I cut up the fruits and veggies for 2 days and then usually alternate between one day of yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast with the oatmeal I keep at work.

I eat just about the same thing everyday (it's boring, but nutritious and works for me)

Breakfast - yogurt with granola OR cottage cheese with egg white or cantaloupe OR oatmeal with almonds and raisins
    Lunch - string cheese OR egg white AND mixed veggies with dip (hummus or guacamole and salsa)
    Snack - generally fruit, nuts, protein bar/ protein shake; I try to avoid but sometimes I eat pretzels or dry cereal for snacks
    is that your whole lunch?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I am an Electrical Engineer working at an industrial skid packaged equipment manufacturer. I eat the same thing during the day every day. A Special K Chocolaty Pretzel bar for B and a small 1.5oz Jack Link's Beef Jerky and 1oz Wonderful Pistachios for L. I like extremely light day food to leave lots of calories for a large dinner. If I get hungry and I have small boxes of Sunmaid Raisins. Been doing this every week day and just hit a 70 day streak.
    wow I'd be starving
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Security Manager in a jail. I pack breakfast, lunch and snacks. It varies...

Usually fixings for an egg white breakfast sandwich, bagel and cream cheese or instant oatmeal for breakfast (I prefer the egg sandwich for the protein).

Smoothie fixings or leftovers for lunch.

Snacks of greek yogurt, fruit, nuts or veggies.

If I am on the ball I might throw in a protein bar in case I get really hungry for some reason or if I end up working overtime.

There is a lunch room with a microwave, hot plate, electric frying pan, foreman grill, bullet and toaster so meals are easy.
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm a newspaper and web site manager and editor. I am in the office some days and other days I'm out and about.

I pack a lunch and bring it to work, leftovers, sandwiches, wraps, etc. I also have some stuff I leave in the fridge and freezer at work in case I forget my lunch, and I have a stash heatlhy snacks like almonds, protein bars, etc in my desk.

I live close enough to home that some days I go home for lunch, but I don't do this every day.
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    What's everyone professional and how do you eat healthy while at work?

I was a PM Server in a five star hotel over the winter, and I usually brought my own food.
    Right now I'm a barn manager for a stables and I, you guessed it, bring my own food.
  • RiverRun61
    Options

...and these little egg muffins for breakfast (I make them on Sunday and package them up in the fridge for each morning).

Please share! What are these little egg muffins? Sounds low carb to me...

Something like this- http://allrecipes.com/recipe/paleo-omelet-muffins/

Sounds yummy! I will have to try them, thanks!
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    wow I'd be starving

You know, I thought so too at first but I'm usually too busy at work to notice. As long as I eat something to stave off the most pressing hunger cravings, I find I will be fine. Sure I'm starving when I get home, but I'm always hungry when I get home regardless of what I've eaten during the day. That's why I got fat! That and no self control or accountability :tongue:
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I work for the provincial power utility and we're lucky enough to have a fully equipped kitchen on our floor. I bring my breakfast and lunch every single day. Today I ate my lunch for dinner at home. I managed to eat part of my breakfast at 1pm.

On average, I'd say I bring home one or both the meals 50% of the time. It's sad, but that's how it is after huge workforce cuts. If I want to be able to log onto MFP, I need to help do the work that keeps the power on.

It's super easy to take healthy food to work, not as easy to get a chance to eat it. Thinking about what my calendar looks like for tomorrow....I figure breakfast may be eaten around 1pm again....or later. Heck, I'll be lucky if I can visit the ladies room once. (No, I'm not kidding.)

As there is always the outside chance that I WILL get enough of a break to actually eat, I optimistically continue to bring the food with me. :happy:
  • rosy_08
    rosy_08 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm an office assistant for a general contractor so I sit at a desk pretty much all day. I generally don't have time to make breakfast at home in the morning (I'd rather try to get more sleep in since I'm always lacking it) so I keep instant oatmeal packets (reduced sugar) at work since we have an electric kettle to heat up water. I try to grab at least one fruit on my way out the door each morning, even if I don't take anything else. And maybe a cheese stick. I like to snack as well.

For lunch, I usually go home and make something there since I live less than 10 mins away, or I bring a small salad/leftovers. For days I'm in a rush and haven't packed a lunch, I keep 3 oz cans of tuna and portioned out flatbread crackers at my desk as well. I never thought to leave the fixings for peanut butter sandwiches at work. I might try it. We have a mini fridge but it was there before I started working at our office and it's really gross. I don't even go near it...