How do you curb cravings?

Options

Replies

• KourtneyLee
    KourtneyLee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Clean your pantry and fridge out of all the crap.
    NOW, I have to say I still have some junk items in my fridge/pantry

No one should ever eat "crap" or "junk" under any circumstances. Ever. Full stop.

:noway:

Tasty treats and other delicious high calorie foods that fit into their overall calorie goal, however? Those are totally fine.

But please, people, don't eat crap or junk. And don't keep it in your pantry because it might get into your food! How do you handle the smell??? And why? Why would you put crap in your pantry or your fridge? Well, I mean, I guess I could understand in the fridge if it was in a sealed container because you needed it for a medical test of a stool sample, but other than that, under no circumstances should you put these things anywhere near your food.

(Does this really need to be said? I mean, don't people already know this???)

what you first see when you open your fridge/pantry is crap

Miss, please, if this is what you see when you open your fridge/pantry, then seek professional help. This is a serious problem.

I'm getting the impression that you think I have these junk items in my pantry or fridge, but I clearly stated multiple times that I don't...the items that are left are what I listed (goldfish, deli meat) and stated right after that they're being eliminated, I only still have them because someone picked them up for me on a grocery outing thinking I would want them, and haven't discarded them yet because I felt bad :/

As far as people needing to be told to get rid of bad things in their fridge, yet, actually a lot of people should hear that advice because 1. some people have family members living with them that don't eat the same way as they do 2. some people believe having a little of what you crave is okay, which I pointed out in the very first part of my post. :)

If anyone in my family puts either junk or crap in my fridge or pantry, we're going to have to have a serious family meeting. That is unsanitary and will *not* be tolerated in my house. Period. The end.

I'm confused about your reference to goldfish, deli meat, and things like that. Did someone get their crap on your goldfish or deli meat? If so, throw it out!!! You can't just wash crap off of food. This is a serious health risk. However, if you can keep the crap and junk away from your food storage areas, you can safely eat goldfish *and* deli meat (just keep it within your calorie and macro targets).

I just can't believe that it's 2014 and we're still wrestling with proper food storage. Egads.

I am unsure if this is your attempt to be funny/witty, but no, my goldfish and/or deli meat does not have anything on it. I am referring to my goldfish and deli meat as bad foods, as they are processed, high in sodium, include nitrite, etc. I'm talking about what's already IN these items that makes them bad choices. I sincerely hope you continue to post in this thread in the hopes of helping the person that created it instead of commenting on others' advice with unappreciated humor/sheer idiocy.

Just looked at your diary (surprised you have it open since most clean eaters don't) but what's the difference between goldfish processing and your special K protein bars? And I see dark chocolate squares? I'm so confused wouldn't that be moderation?

Good lord, it is as if the MyFitnessPal police are here! My advice to OP was to try to eliminate these foods from the diet because yet, it matters what you put into your mouth. I stated within a previous post that I still have some of these unfavorable foods, but I am trying to eliminate them. If you also paid attention to the rest of my diet instead of zeroing in on my (GASP) 1-2 items that are not "clean", it includes steamed veggies, low/non-fat dairy, lean protein sources, etc. My special K bars are not the best no, but I have yet to run out of them after having bought them about a month ago and when/if I need something very quick that still doesn't have too high of a sugar content and has something else in it I want (protein, ex.), I eat one. I have about 4 left, so I will be sure to never eat them again and personally update you when everything is out of my diet that you have pointed out.

It's like everyone is angry because I personally don't agree with having something you crave every time you crave it. I never said I never do it, I'm saying one should try their hardest not to give into it because it means you have the discipline not to. Your cookies you referenced? Sure, have your cookies, what do I care? You have your way of eating and I have mine, and I'm sure if they are only 5 ingredients and include substitutions like applesauce or almond flour or greek yogurt, I would love to have some! I'm in the process of cleaning up my own diet, and I never claimed to be the be-all-end-all expert of diet and nutrition, so please don't hound me for what I was saying to another member.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

No one should ever eat "crap" or "junk" under any circumstances. Ever. Full stop.

Tasty treats and other delicious high calorie foods that fit into their overall calorie goal, however? Those are totally fine.

But please, people, don't eat crap or junk. And don't keep it in your pantry because it might get into your food! How do you handle the smell??? And why? Why would you put crap in your pantry or your fridge? Well, I mean, I guess I could understand in the fridge if it was in a sealed container because you needed it for a medical test of a stool sample, but other than that, under no circumstances should you put these things anywhere near your food.

Miss, please, if this is what you see when you open your fridge/pantry, then seek professional help. This is a serious problem.

I'm getting the impression that you think I have these junk items in my pantry or fridge, but I clearly stated multiple times that I don't...the items that are left are what I listed (goldfish, deli meat) and stated right after that they're being eliminated, I only still have them because someone picked them up for me on a grocery outing thinking I would want them, and haven't discarded them yet because I felt bad :/

As far as people needing to be told to get rid of bad things in their fridge, yet, actually a lot of people should hear that advice because 1. some people have family members living with them that don't eat the same way as they do 2. some people believe having a little of what you crave is okay, which I pointed out in the very first part of my post. :)

If anyone in my family puts either junk or crap in my fridge or pantry, we're going to have to have a serious family meeting. That is unsanitary and will *not* be tolerated in my house. Period. The end.

I'm confused about your reference to goldfish, deli meat, and things like that. Did someone get their crap on your goldfish or deli meat? If so, throw it out!!! You can't just wash crap off of food. This is a serious health risk. However, if you can keep the crap and junk away from your food storage areas, you can safely eat goldfish *and* deli meat (just keep it within your calorie and macro targets).

I just can't believe that it's 2014 and we're still wrestling with proper food storage. Egads.

I am unsure if this is your attempt to be funny/witty, but no, my goldfish and/or deli meat does not have anything on it. I am referring to my goldfish and deli meat as bad foods, as they are processed, high in sodium, include nitrite, etc. I'm talking about what's already IN these items that makes them bad choices. I sincerely hope you continue to post in this thread in the hopes of helping the person that created it instead of commenting on others' advice with unappreciated humor/sheer idiocy.

Just looked at your diary (surprised you have it open since most clean eaters don't) but what's the difference between goldfish processing and your special K protein bars? And I see dark chocolate squares? I'm so confused wouldn't that be moderation?

Good lord, it is as if the MyFitnessPal police are here! My advice to OP was to try to eliminate these foods from the diet because yet, it matters what you put into your mouth. I stated within a previous post that I still have some of these unfavorable foods, but I am trying to eliminate them. If you also paid attention to the rest of my diet instead of zeroing in on my (GASP) 1-2 items that are not "clean", it includes steamed veggies, low/non-fat dairy, lean protein sources, etc. My special K bars are not the best no, but I have yet to run out of them after having bought them about a month ago and when/if I need something very quick that still doesn't have too high of a sugar content and has something else in it I want (protein, ex.), I eat one. I have about 4 left, so I will be sure to never eat them again and personally update you when everything is out of my diet that you have pointed out.

It's like everyone is angry because I personally don't agree with having something you crave every time you crave it. I never said I never do it, I'm saying one should try their hardest not to give into it because it means you have the discipline not to. Your cookies you referenced? Sure, have your cookies, what do I care? You have your way of eating and I have mine, and I'm sure if they are only 5 ingredients and include substitutions like applesauce or almond flour or greek yogurt, I would love to have some! I'm in the process of cleaning up my own diet, and I never claimed to be the be-all-end-all expert of diet and nutrition, so please don't hound me for what I was saying to another member.

Not angry at all, but when I make suggestions to someone it's because I know it works, I don't suggest something that I am not practicing myself.

Eat the chocolate it's good for the soul. But when you say have the discipline not to? Why exclude it and make it much more difficult when I can include a piece of chocolate, a protein bar and I truly enjoy the food still maintain my deficit and hit my macros. Food should be enjoyed just in moderation :flowerforyou:
  • KourtneyLee
    Options
    Good nutrition, a solid nutrition plan, protein snacks, and self discipline. If you can achieve these things, it will make it easier, not that I'm saying it's easy. Eating clean is hard to do, no matter who you are, but the fourth thing I mentioned is the most important thing. Without it, eating clean gets harder.

Eating clean??? At what point did the OP say anything about trying to eat clean?

But as long as we're on the subject (that you decided to make a part of the discussion), how do *you* define "clean"? I've heard a lot of different definitions of the word, many of them completely incompatible with the other...and I've found that without a clear definition of what I'm trying to do, it becomes nearly impossible to do it...and even if I were to accidentally do it, I wouldn't know it.

You can use my diary as an example...because I do *not* eat clean...(or at least I don't think I do, depending on how you define it, of course): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jofjltncb6?date=2014-04-30

Yesterday is probably a better representation of my "normal" diet though: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jofjltncb6?date=2014-04-29

Eating clean essentially and basically refers to eating whole, unprocessed foods. It's a very popular and common concept as of late. And, it's a good recommendation because these "clean" foods provide more sustainable energy while keeping your glucose at bay as compared to say, cookies and white breads/pastas.

Unprocessed? Like, veggies straight from the garden instead of those you would buy frozen in a grocery store? Can I still wash, peel and cut them? What about cooking? Is cooking a process?

Are breakfast/snack bars whole, unprocessed foods? (If OP had a craving for a breakfast bar, would that be okay for her to eat (assuming it fit in her calorie/macro limits)?

How about protein powder? It seems like a processed, not-whole food. Is that still "clean"?

Milk? Olive oil? Coffee creamer? Couscous? Gatorade? These all seem really processed.

What if instead of trying to adhere to this "unprocessed and whole" restriction, OP just ate food that fit in her calorie and macro limits? Wouldn't that still work just as well (and without all of the confusing labels)?

Personally, I don't have any problems with my glucose levels (based on medical tests), so how much should I be concerned about that? And given that a diminished glucose spike results in an increase in duration to the point that the net glucose load is similar between the two extremes, is one approach still clearly preferable? I'm not yet convinced.

Fitting into calorie and macro limits is definitely key, I'm just stating that if she were to choose a bowl of whole grain oats that equalled 200 calories vs enough cheetos to equal 200 calories, she would benefit more from the bowl of oats, whether or not both fit into her macros and calorie goals - they aren't nutritionally equal. This goes along with the concept of processed foods (i.e., white breads and pastas, items with added sugars, etc. - for a full list of highly processed foods, use your interwebz.) - whole, fresh, flash-frozen foods are more nutritionally sound than food with a lot of chemicals, additives, white flours, etc. Does that make sense? It's like comparing apples to oranges.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Good nutrition, a solid nutrition plan, protein snacks, and self discipline. If you can achieve these things, it will make it easier, not that I'm saying it's easy. Eating clean is hard to do, no matter who you are, but the fourth thing I mentioned is the most important thing. Without it, eating clean gets harder.

Eating clean??? At what point did the OP say anything about trying to eat clean?

But as long as we're on the subject (that you decided to make a part of the discussion), how do *you* define "clean"? I've heard a lot of different definitions of the word, many of them completely incompatible with the other...and I've found that without a clear definition of what I'm trying to do, it becomes nearly impossible to do it...and even if I were to accidentally do it, I wouldn't know it.

You can use my diary as an example...because I do *not* eat clean...(or at least I don't think I do, depending on how you define it, of course): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jofjltncb6?date=2014-04-30

Yesterday is probably a better representation of my "normal" diet though: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jofjltncb6?date=2014-04-29

Eating clean essentially and basically refers to eating whole, unprocessed foods. It's a very popular and common concept as of late. And, it's a good recommendation because these "clean" foods provide more sustainable energy while keeping your glucose at bay as compared to say, cookies and white breads/pastas.

Unprocessed? Like, veggies straight from the garden instead of those you would buy frozen in a grocery store? Can I still wash, peel and cut them? What about cooking? Is cooking a process?

Are breakfast/snack bars whole, unprocessed foods? (If OP had a craving for a breakfast bar, would that be okay for her to eat (assuming it fit in her calorie/macro limits)?

How about protein powder? It seems like a processed, not-whole food. Is that still "clean"?

Milk? Olive oil? Coffee creamer? Couscous? Gatorade? These all seem really processed.

What if instead of trying to adhere to this "unprocessed and whole" restriction, OP just ate food that fit in her calorie and macro limits? Wouldn't that still work just as well (and without all of the confusing labels)?

Personally, I don't have any problems with my glucose levels (based on medical tests), so how much should I be concerned about that? And given that a diminished glucose spike results in an increase in duration to the point that the net glucose load is similar between the two extremes, is one approach still clearly preferable? I'm not yet convinced.

Fitting into calorie and macro limits is definitely key, I'm just stating that if she were to choose a bowl of whole grain oats that equalled 200 calories vs enough cheetos to equal 200 calories, she would benefit more from the bowl of oats, whether or not both fit into her macros and calorie goals - they aren't nutritionally equal. This goes along with the concept of processed foods (i.e., white breads and pastas, items with added sugars, etc. - for a full list of highly processed foods, use your interwebz.) - whole, fresh, flash-frozen foods are more nutritionally sound than food with a lot of chemicals, additives, white flours, etc. Does that make sense? It's like comparing apples to oranges.

But once my nutritional needs have been met for the day and I have 200 calories left at the end of the night.... do I get bonus points somewhere for eating oats vs the cheetos? is there a prize? What added benefit are you getting once your nutritional needs have already been met?
  • KourtneyLee
    Options

Not angry at all, but when I make suggestions to someone it's because I know it works, I don't suggest something that I am not practicing myself.

Eat the chocolate it's good for the soul. But when you say have the discipline not to? Why exclude it and make it much more difficult when I can include a piece of chocolate, a protein bar and I truly enjoy the food still maintain my deficit and hit my macros. Food should be enjoyed just in moderation :flowerforyou:

I made my suggestions because they are concepts others could agree with other than myself, and are goals to work towards. And typically, I do practice what I preach. It is my mistake for having such a slip-up and being honest about reporting my one piece of chocolate I had, but yet, I attempt do (and most often do) do what you say is best (and IS good advice) of being sure I stay within my intakes. I only stated to exclude it because some people have more discipline than others - some of us can't just have one/a bit/a piece/etc, I don't speak on behalf of everyone. Food should be enjoyed, yes, but it also fuel for our bodies and that's why I make it a goal for myself (and advise others) to watch what we eat as not all foods are created equal, that's all. I am having much success with my food/exercise plan and hope you are with yours as well!:smile:
  • KourtneyLee
    Options

But once my nutritional needs have been met for the day and I have 200 calories left at the end of the night.... do I get bonus points somewhere for eating oats vs the cheetos? is there a prize? What added benefit are you getting once your nutritional needs have already been met?

If your nutritional needs have already been met then I don't see why you would eat anything extra afterwards in the first place, and I would think the "prize" of eating 1500-2000 calories of healthy foods vs 1500-2000 calories of unhealthy foods should be obvious...but if you would like a list of examples, you can again use the interwebz. (Better digestion, sustainable energy, leveled glucose, less craving for more unhealthy foods, being satisfied/fuller longer, better cholesterol, decreased body fat content, lesser risk of heart attack, eating less preservatives and things on the ingredient lists you can't even pronounce). I just am wondering why this is being argued? But we may agree to disagree, and that is the beauty of being able to have different opinions :)
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I found out of sight out of mind... but if i do have something like a muffin 620 carlories... I normally half it with someone in the room.. or if no one is there... to get upset with me I eat half and put the other half under water....^____^

Oh... once my wife went a way for a couple days.... and left a cake in the refrig.... and I found it too temption so i ate one piece...but later... I had to destroy it....
  • laratacita
    laratacita Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this. Since starting to exercise daily -- or at least thinking that's what I'm going to do -- I've noticed two things. When I first started out, I was getting severe cramps. This was easily settled by drinking enough water. The second thing, which I encounter now, is an intense craving for salty foods. After doing some reading on this, I've found that one of the causes for this is drinking too much water. The body passes the electrolytes out through its urine stream. This may also be the cause for salty food cravings.

Now, I'm not always sure the calories are logged correctly, specifically when I try the homemade Caesar salad. (I have no accurate way to measure the portions.) However, I do try to be as honest as possible.

Now, I seem to keep under most of the goals set by MFP most of the time, but I have an incredibly hard time keeping the sodium down. Should I worry about this since my blood pressure tends to be on the low side of the 120/80 number?
  • tanyoshka
    tanyoshka Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    There is nothing that is off-limits to me.

I give in, but I make sure that I stay within my calories.
    I put it into my calories and figure out just how much of it I can have without causing any damage.

I do this as well. If I have any chance with being able to maintain I need to be able to feel like I'm not sacrificing a lot. Eat it, but just a little. Portion control is key. Never eat out of the bag/box/carton and share half of the sweets with coworkers or friends. That way you can't eat any more, even if you wanted to.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    There is nothing that is off-limits to me.

I give in, but I make sure that I stay within my calories.
    I put it into my calories and figure out just how much of it I can have without causing any damage.

Yes, this ^
    However, if I find myself giving in to the same indulgence day after day, I quit it. Cold Turkey for a while, (at least several weeks). I don't want to develop habits around indulgences.
  • lwynd002
    lwynd002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I know everyone probably already touched on everything I'm about to say--but, I thought I'd state my opinion anyways.

Hi there! I know what you mean about giving into cravings and then obsessing about them once you give in---this happens to me sometimes, but less frequently lately. I have a really poor relationship with food, and certain foods will trigger a binge for me. So, I recently came to the decision that I just cannot have certain foods for right now---for me these are store-bought crackers, chips, and candy. Have you thought about removing the foods for a while? Or you could try portion control as well.

Another suggestion would be to try to make the foods you crave, but to pack as much nutrients in as possible. I used to do this for desserts I craved, and for me, if the desserts were more nutritious rather than empty calories, I didn't obsess over them as much.

Have you tried packing snacks for school, or putting a couple snacks in your car?
  • linda231
    linda231 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've learned over the last four months that I'm probably a carb addict. When I eat carbs I want more carbs, I'm like a mad woman, I want something salt then after that something sweet over and over till I feel my belly hurt and it bloats me so much I can't sleep . My crack carbs were chips ahoy cookies, ice cream, lays potato chips. I can't have these because moderation is not even possible for me once I have one! I'm doing low carb high fat and this works for me, not for everyone but so glad I tried this. I've lost a few lbs so I'm happy! Thanks for letting me share :):drinker:
  • eggmoni
    eggmoni Posts: 13 Member
    Options

LOL for some reason this post made me think of my dad. This is something he would say.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    LOL for some reason this post made me think of my dad. This is something he would say.

Your dad sounds like a very wise man.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!! :angry:
  • eggmoni
    Options
    I've learned over the last four months that I'm probably a carb addict. When I eat carbs I want more carbs, I'm like a mad woman, I want something salt then after that something sweet over and over till I feel my belly hurt and it bloats me so much I can't sleep . My crack carbs were chips ahoy cookies, ice cream, lays potato chips. I can't have these because moderation is not even possible for me once I have one! I'm doing low carb high fat and this works for me, not for everyone but so glad I tried this. I've lost a few lbs so I'm happy! Thanks for letting me share :):drinker:

Ugh me too! I looooove salty foods but after I eat salty foods I always crave something sweet. If I eat dinner, I always want dessert afterward. :'( My husband has been helping me stay away from doing that, but sometimes I can't help myself. I think I'm getting better though. And chips are my favorite snack! If I have a bag of chips in the house, I can't help myself! I will eat half the bag! Thats why I've been steering clear of having chips in the house. I recently purchased some quaker oats rice crackers! They've been doing a good job at curbing my craving for potato chips. ^^
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Keep so full of healthy foods that you don't really have room for foods you know you'll binge on. It's easy, because veggies are so filling and low cal. Find some you like and keep a stockpile of them.
  • eggmoni
    Options
    I know everyone probably already touched on everything I'm about to say--but, I thought I'd state my opinion anyways.

Hi there! I know what you mean about giving into cravings and then obsessing about them once you give in---this happens to me sometimes, but less frequently lately. I have a really poor relationship with food, and certain foods will trigger a binge for me. So, I recently came to the decision that I just cannot have certain foods for right now---for me these are store-bought crackers, chips, and candy. Have you thought about removing the foods for a while? Or you could try portion control as well.

Another suggestion would be to try to make the foods you crave, but to pack as much nutrients in as possible. I used to do this for desserts I craved, and for me, if the desserts were more nutritious rather than empty calories, I didn't obsess over them as much.

Have you tried packing snacks for school, or putting a couple snacks in your car?

Someone mentioned earlier about portioning out snacks that I like so that I don't overdo it. I love potato chips and it's one of my guilty pleasures when it comes to food and I think it's a brilliant idea to pre-pack portions into little baggies so that way I can satisfy my craving but no be overdoing it! And you are right, I should find healthier and better alternatives to these snacks. I know eating potato chips every day won't help me at all! Even if it's portioned right, it still has lots of sodium in it. :( I have definitely been trying to steer clear of buying too much sweet and salty foods. I've been finding alternatives and I've been loading my place with lots more fruits and veggies! Do you have any suggestions for any healthy snacks? Sometimes I'm pretty doubtful of those healthy snacks they sell at the stores. Like the pre-packed, 100 calories cookie snacks or something, sometimes I wonder if they really are healthy. heh.
  • back2ballet
    back2ballet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am new to this forum, but wanted to chime in to say that one way I curb cravings, especially during "that time", is by having a bit of caffeine. Caffeine, when taken in moderation, is an excellent appetite suppressant, and also serves to boost the endorphins you're likely seeking from whatever food you were craving.
  • mhowes87
    mhowes87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    gum gum gum! chewing gum always helps me. i have this green tea gum thats supposed to help and it taste like mint, so if you dont like tea, no worry!

I've read articles that say chewing gum actually makes you feel more hungry. Basically, because you are chewing your mind/stomach is thinking that you are about to get some food and then it doesn't.
  • YummieMsYumYum
    Options
    i love crunchy stuff!! lol so i keep a lil baggy of crushed up rice cakes or cherrios or rice crispies and drink some water with em... works every time:-)