Women who have loss the arm flab!

Options
Ashwee87
Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
So, one of my biggest worries overall is losing this arm fat/flab I have. I hate my upper arms and how big they are. I think it bothers me almost more than fat anywhere else on my body. :(

So I would LOVE to see some Before/After photos of women that have successfully shrunk that arm flab! :)

Replies

• missmeee
    missmeee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • missthix
    missthix Posts: 10
    Options
    Mine have not gone away even when I lost 72 pounds. I think I am going to have surgery on them one day. I hate them too!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I've had the same worry but I'm trying not to let it worry me too much. I want to be healthy so if I have extra skin a while, I will have to deal with that.

I've heard of dry skin brushing and some supplements(alfalfa or something) that supposedly help. I know the skin brushing is helpful in detoxing and shedding off dry skin. It does make my skin so soft and healthy. I just need to make it more of a habit than my occasional use. Google it. Its worth a try if nothing for the soft skin. ;) It also feels nice.

My plan is to continue and build up that habit and also to lift. Lifting helps a lot I hear. Plus I've learned that it may be skin left but in time it can tighten up but make take years.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I have no pictures but I do not have much flappy skin on my arms and I contribute that to the fact that I swim a lot. I'm also 63 yrs.old when we women get it even if we don't lose weight.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,217 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Try some resistance training to tone. :)
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have no pictures but I do not have much flappy skin on my arms and I contribute that to the fact that I swim a lot. I'm also 63 yrs.old when we women get it even if we don't lose weight.

Good to hear. Swimming is my favorite summer time activity and with Arizona long season we get to do a lot. Usually from March/April till Sept. or Oct.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    It is not really loose skin I am worried about more of just how FAT my arms are. :( It just feels like they will never go down. I know I haven't lost much or nearly enough to see what it looks like later, but yeah....

Also, I don't go to a gym, so unless there is something I can do at home, I don't know what else to do. :(
    (Single, unemployed sahm.)
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    push ups, tricep dips, pull ups... - and other body weight exercises. Google it and find a TON of exercises you can do at home
  • ThePinkPanda
    ThePinkPanda Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    i recommend weight training to help with your arm shape but only a calorie deficit will get rid of the fat (and only when your body wants it to, we can't choose where it comes off).

i definitely still have arm flab but i have a lot less of it. These aren't the best pics but here's my before and afters (well, durings anyway). i never thought of taking before and after pics of my arms when i started lol.

16901987_8204.jpg

16901987_5240.jpg
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It is not really loose skin I am worried about more of just how FAT my arms are. :( It just feels like they will never go down. I know I haven't lost much or nearly enough to see what it looks like later, but yeah....

Also, I don't go to a gym, so unless there is something I can do at home, I don't know what else to do. :(
    (Single, unemployed sahm.)

When you lose weight, you will lose fat wherever your body tells it to. This is partly genetic. The last place I lose is in the hips & thighs.

To keep muscle while dieting, to keep arms firm .....do strength, or resistance training. You can start with body weight exercises...push ups, and dips.

http://exercise.about.com/library/blupperbodystrength.htm

http://pilates.about.com/od/technique/a/5-Ways-To-Use-Pilates-In-An-Upper-Body-Workout.htm

As far as loose skin that some people experience.....again partly genetic. It also depends upon how far and how long the skin was stretched out. Younger people have more elasticity.....their skin snaps back better.
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    Before and After side view
    1yearweightloss.jpg

Arms after
    arm-1.jpg

This isn't recent, this was my success after having my first baby. I just had my second so im on the road to losing the weight again {although luckily I didn't gain as much as I did the first time}.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I'm 65, certainly not thin or want to be, I live and work on a farm, hauling hay and grain bags and topsoil and so forth, and I have NO underarm jiggle.

Can't put photos on here except profile pics, copy, cut and paste doesn't work .
  • amw5471
    amw5471 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I highly reccommend measuring! I am definitely in a during stage and very self concious about my arms. I was convinced that they had not changed even though I've lost 24 lbs to date but I was wrong, I've lost 2 inches on each bicep. Sadly, you can't spot reduce but with a calorie deficit and some resitance training you will ditch that arm flab.
  • Chikipiwi
    Chikipiwi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was able to achive my results with resistance training. See profile picture...
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I've never had flabby arms, just toothpick arms that never fit the rest of my body. I picked up heavy things and put them back down and that toned my arms so nicely that I have a line when I go to flex!!

So you should try lifting heavy!!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I don't have before/after pictures, as I didn't think to take pictures of that. But during my weight loss journey, my arms got really flabby. They still are, a little. But they are definitely toning up. Definitely do not skip on the strength training where arms are concerned if you have a problem with flab. I did lifting and used resistance bands and stretch bands.
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have wings for arms. And while I know I can't tell my body where to cut the weight (I have lost inches everywhere except my arms) I have been considering building my arm muscles to provide better tone there in the meantime and to feel like I'm doing something. I have heard good things about kettleballs and was thinking of getting one for home use, perhaps that would work for you as well.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I have gotten my body fat down to about 16%, and have started lifting. I do pushups, triceps dips and free weight arm work. I've lost the majority of the loose skin/flap look to my arm and gained quite a bit of definition. At 41, I have much more muscle definition and less body fat than I've ever had, and it's from calorie deficit to lose body fat, and lifting.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    This is a one month difference - it's hard to see the "flab" because I'm flexing in both pictures, but my arms definitely got smaller and more defined. (I know I don't have much muscle - shhh I'm working on that haha. I've gained some since the second photo was taken).

wYHerael.jpg

0qvlvUGl.jpg

You can't spot reduce though! I just happened to lose arm fat because I was losing weight at the time. I was working out with a good mix of cardio and strength training. I tried to eat mostly healthy (plenty of treats in moderation though). I wasn't calorie counting then but I was probably eating 2000 or less a day. Though obviously everyone's needs are different so my calorie amount doesn't really matter to you haha.

Just be consistent in your healthy lifestyle and you will see fat loss everywhere, including arms eventually :) Good luck!
  • Mar_11
    Mar_11 Posts: 35
    Options
    Google "tricep toning exercises". There are a lot you can do at home and without weights. Use water bottles instead or even laundry soap bottle. Just find something heavy and lift according to what areas you want to trim/firm up.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!