Weight Loss After Menopause

Options
Hello!! I'm looking for some success stories and tips about losing weight after menopause. I'm 44, 5'3", and after breast cancer the doctor recommened a total hysterectomy in 2009. Since then, I've gained 55 lbs. (236lbs) My general practitioner suggested the gastric sleeve....I don't want to go that route! Has anyone out there lost a considerable amount of weight after menopause? I hope to hear from you!! :happy:

Replies

• somervilleshar
    somervilleshar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I and 5'3 and 55 years old. I have not actually experienced any symptoms yet, except for weight gain that I can't seem to get rid of. I know of a family member who had a gastic sleeve done and I would say don't do it. I can have very bad side affects. I would be happy to give you as much support as I can, and share anything I learn. it's the change in estrongen that causes all the problems, There are clinics that help women with these issues, that is my next step and learning more about biodentical hormones which are safe and natural alternatives to common problems.

Cheers

Sharon
  • Mejustme69
    Options
    That would be great Sharon. Can I send you a friend request? I have to stay away from hormone therapy...I'm actually still on Arimidex, for the BC that suppresses all Estrogen. I know I can do it....I've got to break it down....100lbs is a mountain! I'll start with a 25 lb molehill!
  • Beanogirl
    Beanogirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am 52 and have been taking HRT for 2 years. Started this time at the beginning of February this year. I am about half way to my initial goal. It's slow but I am determined to do it. I may have to re evaluate though. I thought 48lbs would get me to where I want to be, but after losing 23lbs, I'm not sure it will be enough!
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I've gone through menopause yet, as I had a partial hysterectomy years ago for adenomyosis. If I did, I had very few symptoms. I'm 51 though, so the odds are I have. I've recently lost 25 pounds and have about 10 more to go, after having gone 22 pounds above my previous highest weight after contracting Lyme disease and having a few bad years emotionally.

But I wanted to chime in on the surgery aspect. It seems when folks get the surgery, they're forcing themselves to eat tiny portions for the rest of their lives by getting a device implanted (or a surgical reduction of their stomach). For some, the super morbidly obese, the trade-off is probably worth it. But if it were me, and I had 55 pounds to lose, I'd really rather try calorie counting on my own in a very serious and strict manner first. After all, that's what you'll do anyway after the surgery. The surgery you're considering is a way to make yourself feel full sooner and make it harder to eat, so maybe you need that. But maybe through calorie counting and strict adherence to a low calorie diet alone you'll achieve the same result, without the need to alter your digestive system for the rest of your life.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. :flowerforyou:
  • Mejustme69
    Options
    I don't want the surgery, I've been counting calories for 3 weeks, for the most part I am at 1650 calories a day, a couple days i went to 1800. I walk 1.8 miles a day 4 days a week. I've lost 2.5 lbs. The weight isnt coming off. HRT is not an option for me because of the breast cancer. I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem and if I really need to cut my calories to 1200 per day.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't want the surgery, I've been counting calories for 3 weeks, for the most part I am at 1650 calories a day, a couple days i went to 1800. I walk 1.8 miles a day 4 days a week. I've lost 2.5 lbs. The weight isnt coming off. HRT is not an option for me because of the breast cancer. I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem and if I really need to cut my calories to 1200 per day.

Hi, sorry I misunderstood your question. Your numbers seem to work for fat loss. And you have lost 2.5 pounds in three weeks, so it may be a little slower than you like, but it is happening. I personally do eat 1200 calories a day, which I wouldn't recommend to anyone as I'd get flamed. I do it because I'm somewhat impatient. I also do eat back my exercise calories, so I'm getting around 1400 a day. And that has me losing 1.4 pounds a week. Maybe you can cut a little bit more, perhaps down to 1500, and see where that takes you?
  • 13Cheryl11tom
    13Cheryl11tom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am 64 and because I have been impatient to drop just 7 pounds mainly to cut down on excess fat in my tummy, I have been eating 1200 calories. I am not on any hormone replacements. Just tracking my food and working out. Just about ready to go on maintenance. I went with the 1200 only because I did not have much weight to drop; 1/2 pound a week. I think I would try first tracking my calories and working out before doing any surgery but that is just me.
  • cindagrif
    cindagrif Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and 5'2". I am trying hard to lose weight, it was a lot easier when I was younger. I think it's just one day at a time process! Yeah Packers!!!
  • SnowWhiteFanatic
    SnowWhiteFanatic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 and recently had a total hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. I'm already suffering from menopause symptoms. I'm not taking estrogen but I am taking progesterone to help with the hot flashes. It def works but the dr only wants me on it for 6 months max. I'm worried about doing HRT and I'm going to try not to. I guess we will see how weight loss goes now that I'm in menopause. Why is it difficult to lose weight while going through it? I never did know why. Any help is appreciated.
  • Mejustme69
    Options
    When I had my hysterectomy I couldnt use any HRT,, the hot flashes are miserable, but they do get better. I would sleep with the window open in the winter and my husband would have to sleep in a hat, hoodie and sweatpants :)...I live in Wisconsin. My doctor told me it is more difficult to lose weight in menopause because your metabolism slows down so much. I only lost half a pound this week...its so frustrating...when I need to lose 75. You are already on your way...51 lbs lost!! Congrats!!
  • nellyblot1966
    Options
    Hi.. In reply to your question about menopause, hrt and weight loss... I immediately entered menopause after a full hysterectomy almost two years ago, and I have been on both estrogen patches or tablets ever since - as my menopause was considered premature....I started dieting in January with 89lb to loose, and have to date I've lost 45 lb.... I was a little worried I may struggle to loose the weight, so I have been incredibly methodical and opted to eat a very healthy diet, covering all the food groups as evenly as possible. Even though I stick to 1200 calories, which seems low, I don't waste them on hollow clalories or any junk food. Plenty lean protein, lots of fresh fruit, salads & vegetables - thankfully it seems to be working for me????.....Don't be disheartened everyone looses at a different rate, and it's never an even weight loss each week.. Try to know your body and find what foods /exercise work for you - recommended calorie intake is only a guideline, you need to find the level of calories you can take to loose weigh - everyone is different..But, we all have the same battle and the same goal... To be thinner and healthier ???? ... Good luck x
  • Mejustme69
    Options
    Thanks everyone....I'm sticking to 1200.....hoping to see the scale move this week!
  • trinity5703
    Options
    57 and had a hyst over 15 yrs ago. I took hormones for about 6 months following the surgery and hated how they made me feel. Nervous, jumpy, irritable as all get out... so I finally threw the things out. I havent taken them since.

Yep, loosing weight can be a bit slower but it can be done. Break that larger amount you have to do in smaller more manageable amounts. Instead of 70, think 7...and reward yourself when you loose that 7 pounds.. maybe a trip to get your nails done, or a movie with the significant other,... something special. Then shoot for the next 7 pounds.. and so on. I found thinking about it this way helped me "manage" my expectations and my frustration at not loosing as quickly as I did in my 30's

You can do this :)
  • Mejustme69
    Mejustme69 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the support. It seems 1200 is what i need to stick with! I miss snacks!
  • eurochick64
    eurochick64 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I went for my "check up " today at the Doctors, I Talked to her about why it is sooooo hard for me to lose weight, I have 1200 calories a day, but on the Days i lift weights, i have more, i use the Treadmiil, i swim....

I have only lost 6lbs., ( seriously since January )..... it really seems so hard to lose it, ... The Doctor said it was the hormones and it is going to be a struggle to lose it, like a battle between weight loss & Hormones, ...

I still have 10 to 14 lbs to lose, she said to start drinking Green Tea, ...so i will, anything is worth a try !! RIGHT, ..

Does anyone else have any tips that seemed to kick start real weight loss in menopause !! :noway: