HRMs and Calorie Count Things

Options
Hi, I'm looking at these calorie counting things on trademe (ebay), I see that you can get them quite cheap. Are these quality? I'm not looking at the ones going for a few bucks but ones for less than NZ$40.
What should I look for? Can I trust a cheap one?
Are they worth the money? Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• marshall153
    marshall153 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm looking at these calorie counting things on trademe (ebay), I see that you can get them quite cheap. Are these quality? I'm not looking at the ones going for a few bucks but ones for less than NZ$40.
    What should I look for? Can I trust a cheap one?
    Are they worth the money? Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    not sure I've been researching I'm looking at the Polar F4
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    I am going to buy a polar f4. Tomorrow afternoon. I am going to use for my workout tomorrow nite. It is a non-coded but as long as it doesn't have too much interference from other monitors I will keep it. If it has trouble (b/c lots of people at my gym wear monitors) I will upgrade to the F6 it is a bit more expensive and I'll have to order it online but it has a coded chest strap.
  • Jezika
    Jezika Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar F4 and I love it! The only draw back is that it doesn't have a back light. I work out at home, alone, so I didn't upgrade to the F6. The F6 provides "non cross talk" meaning, your sensor, the thing that goes around your chest, under your bust, isn't sending signals to other peoples monitors (wrist watch)
    I think the F4 is a great starter. It works for me. I go swimming with it, I do tae bo with it and it gives me a really accurate count of all the calories I'm burning. I wore my for a whole day just to see what my real calorie burn rate was... it was much higher than the BMR calculator on this site.

I would definitely spend the money to get a good HRM, no sense buying something that isn't tried and true, and getting poor inaccurate results.

Happy Shopping!
  • marshall153
    marshall153 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Oh cool thanks, I'm looking into the F4, might even get it it tomorrow! Thanks again :drinker:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Love my F6, the F11 does more cool stuff, but the F6 is great. I would never trust a gym machine to give accurate readings. They just don't keep specific enough information to be accurate.
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have the F6 and I love it, but I am not sure about not crossing signals with other people. When I work out next to my girlfriend, who also has the F6, I ALWAYS pick up her heart rate. Other than that, I am very happy with my Polar F6!!!
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    ok I must be really out of the whole exercise thing WTH is a HRM? LOL i am thinking when someone tells me I will be like oh DUHH but at the moment I am feeling really not in the exercise loop :huh:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    LOL, heart rate monitor
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    HRM is Heart Rate Monitor...and is really most effective if you know your Heart Rate Zones to make sure you are exercising in the right zones.

I have the Polar RS400 and it has been great in tracking the training efforts on my heart and calories burned. Definitely worth investing in some sort of HRM.
  • petunia
    petunia Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F4 and I love it... I got it off of Ebay for about US$65 including shipping...

good luck!
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    LOL tHANKS Banks!!! Also I was right about having to say duhh! I read that and I was like omG i am losing it how did i not know that.
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    id say on tm if you try and get a polar for cheap would be your best bet thats what im watching at the moment just need the money to do it lol
    we are off to aussie soon so extra spending has been put on hold althoguh could do with one for while away.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Love my F6, the F11 does more cool stuff, but the F6 is great. I would never trust a gym machine to give accurate readings. They just don't keep specific enough information to be accurate.

When I got my HRM, I was *amazed* at how far off the machines in the club were! :sick: I have a simple Sportline, and got the one without the belly band. Wearing the belt was just not comfy for me at all, so I got this one. It does the stuff I need, but yes, I have to use both hands to get my pulse. Try doing that on the elliptical for the first time :ohwell: Next time I will do more research into the HRM's I got this one 'cause it was on sale ($80 USD) and has a lifetime warranty from the place I bought it. It does have several other functions, stopwatch, timer, dual clock (great for traveling) as well as Heart Range and Calories burned.
    But oh yes, DO get a HRM, it will amaze you to discover how many different ways you can now count the calories you burn, and by putting it into a solid number, it makes a real difference!
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Polar F6- I've only had it about a month, but I've been amazed at the numbers I see. I also have 'fun' with it to see if I can get to a certain calorie count by a certain time ( like 150 calories by 15 minutes of excercise)
    I love it- I cant beleive it took me SO long to get one.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Have the Polar f6 and LOVE it! I would love to have the f11, but the f6 does everything I need it to do. Got mine off ebay and saved about 30 bucks.