Hard to get enough protein without too much fat

Options
I seem to have trouble hitting my protein goal without getting a ton of fat also. Any suggestions? Does anyone else have that issue?

Replies

• Ronij59
    Ronij59 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Me too....
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Use leaner meat, for one. 80/20 ground beef tastes great but has tons of fat. 90/10 isn't quite as good but is better on fat.

I wouldn't sweat the fat intake anyway. I treat fat as a minimum.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Lean chicken, beans, milk, protein powder/shakes, fish, etc. It's easy enough.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Chicken makes it pretty easy.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of chicken breast. I love that stuff.

funny-gifs-franky-goes-to-anchorage.gif
  • georgiefear
    georgiefear Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lean meats as others have said, also lowfat dairy products can help. :)
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Beans have lots of protein. So do most vegetables, actually. Both of these are low fat.
  • tinychuck
    tinychuck Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian so I have more of a problem with getting too many carbs than fat.

Try having more things like beans, low fat dairy, green peas, high protein bread. Cottage cheese is pretty good as well.
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone who posted for kind and helpful suggestions. I always forget about beans.
  • bunnerfly
    bunnerfly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of chicken, but at the same time, I tend to not worry about fat too much.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I have to get to 170-200g of protein a day, all while staying under 30 g of fat. It's hard, but possible. (I went over fat just a tad today)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt. You can usually get about 20g of protein for 5g of fat or less depending on brand and fat percentage. I love the Fage 2%, I want to say it's 6g carbs/4g fat/20g protein for 7 ounces.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Chicken, shrimp and greek yogurt. :)
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Lean fish... Tilapia, flounder, etc...
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem as OP. I should be eating around 79 grams a day of protein, but it's hard not to go over the fat allotment. My nutritionist says I should eat under 25 grams of fat a day. I also have high cholesterol. Also, MFP doesn't distinguish between healthy and unhealthy fats. I ate a 1.5 package of cashews after a workout and that put me over my limit.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of chicken breast. I love that stuff.

funny-gifs-franky-goes-to-anchorage.gif

this is kinda mesmerising...