weight training and calories burned

Options
caesar164
caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
Hello to all, I'm new at using this app; and so far I'm loving it! I noticed that you only get credit for cardio torwards your daily caloric intake.. Why doesn't weight training count in the same manner?? In matter of fact, there is no difference at all with any weight training... Why is that?

Replies

• EllenTebbits
    EllenTebbits Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i wonder the same thing!
  • caesar164
    Options
    You should still continue weight/resistance training... The more lean body mass you have, the better you metabolize energy...
  • MagdaSea
    MagdaSea Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Look for 'Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)' under the cardio tab. That's what I do.
  • caesar164
    Options
    Look for 'Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)' under the cardio tab. That's what I do.

Oh, OK,I'll try that, thanks!
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Although there are some options under weight/strength training, unlike cardio which requires you to move your own weight (using some assumptions about that) strength training with weights is a total guess as far as MFP is concerned. Your best bet is to use a heart rate monitor to give you an estimate of calorie burn.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Even with a hrm, as I understand, it isn't very accurate and there is a formula to use with the hrm to get the best burn estimate for weight lifting. I do not however, know what the said formula is. A friend gave it to me and I lost it in my inbox...like two years ago.