Help - Salads

Options
spg71
spg71 Posts: 179 Member
Ok this might sound rather useless, but i cannot for the life of me make nice salads. How hard can it be :( I go to eat have a salad which consist of a few leaves, toms, bit of fish etc and it looks fantastic tastes fantastic. Yet when i buy the same ingredients and try and make something that looks nice and tastes nice it ends up looking like a 2 day old compost :(

Any budding chefs out there with tips and easy start recipes.

Replies

• jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think it's like when your mom makes you a glass of water. It tastes better when she does it..lol

I would experiment around with different greens..Baby Spinach, romaine, etc..Find what you like and add to it.

I had a salad at a restaurant last night that I'm pretty sure I could duplicate and make healthier.

It was a spring mix with shredded chicken, black beans, corn, onions, salsa and a bit of ranch dressing. They drizzled some barbeque sauce on it and tortilla chips. If I made it at home, I'd leave the chips off and add more barbeque...Or marinate the chicken in barbeque before shredding. :)
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Personally I love the little gem lettuce (Cos or Romaine) shredded, with spring onions, baby plum tomatoes and a drizzling of low fat caesar dressing, served with roasted sweet potato and grilled turkey breast fillets.....nom nom
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/06/malibleu-beach-salad-with-grilled.html

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/06/chicken-tortilla-salad-with-pineapple.html

This salad dressing is amazing on spinach and mushrooms.

White Balsamic Vinaigrette
    Makes approx. 1/2 cup

Ingredients

3 oz walnut oil
    1 oz white balsamic vinegar
    1 tsp Dijon mustard
    1 garlic clove, minced (approx. 1/2 tsp)
    1 tsp honey
    1/8 tsp Italian seasoning
    Salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes, to taste

Directions

Mix vinaigrette ingredients in a small mason jar. Secure with lid and shake until emulsified. Store remaining dressing in the refrigerator for up to a week. Great over a spinach and mushroom salad.
  • cineshome
    cineshome Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I think it's like when your mom makes you a glass of water. It tastes better when she does it..lol

I would experiment around with different greens..Baby Spinach, romaine, etc..Find what you like and add to it.

I had a salad at a restaurant last night that I'm pretty sure I could duplicate and make healthier.

It was a spring mix with shredded chicken, black beans, corn, onions, salsa and a bit of ranch dressing. They drizzled some barbeque sauce on it and tortilla chips. If I made it at home, I'd leave the chips off and add more barbeque...Or marinate the chicken in barbeque before shredding. :)
    That sounds amazing.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    One of my favourites is baby spinach, roasted pumpkin, pine nuts, feta and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar or lemon juice with grilled chicken breast

I also love tomato, cucumber, red or yellow capsicum (pepper) and feta with a drizzle of olive oil.