Does fitbit work like pedometer on bumpy roads?

Options
sodakat
sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
I drive a school bus. A pedometer and even the sHealth feature on my Galaxy Note phone 'counts' steps while I'm driving the bus. Really messes up my day. Once it added 12,000 steps due to a long bumpy drive.

I am considering getting a FitBit flex and wonder how it will behave in this situation.

Thx!

Replies

• sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I think all trackers will count it. I used to have a nike fuelband an activity tracker from WW and now a fitbit and they have all counted car rides :/
  • ImmortalApprentice
    ImmortalApprentice Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex; and yes, it will count extra steps if your wrist is bounced or shaken around too much. I had a similar issue before I got my alignment fixed on my car and was dealing with a shaking steering wheel.
    Though, I would just take it off while I was driving and place it in the cup holder, and all would be fine.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Yep, any bumps will cause it to count steps since that's how a pedometer works. I don't believe there's any way to avoid it.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    The FitBit provides a simple way to avoid this--you can log the time you are driving from your phone or computer. Then, it will erase any steps tracked during that time period. On normal roads this is unnecessary, but it may be necessary on bumpy roads.
  • MikeBBerger
    Options
    You can use the Drivebit app (free app in the Google play store) on your phone to track the time you are driving (it will add the activity to your fitbit profile so you won't count steps while driving). Or, you can manually enter the activity into the fitbit site and will not count steps for the time you specify for the activity.
  • msurads06
    msurads06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit will log steps on a very bumpy road/plane/train, HOWEVER you can log in to the fitbit website and tell it that you were driving say between 2:30 and 5:00 and it will remove the steps from your count, they will still show up on the fitbit, but your official total on the website/app will be corrected to remove those steps. Also if you have an android phone you can download a free app called drive bit. You start it when you start driving and stop it when you are done and it will automatically log those times in your fitbit account for you. This is the method I use when I am driving more than just short trips around town. It makes getting an accurate step count much easier.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one which goes in your pocket or clips to your clothes and have had zero false readings in cars or anywhere really. The one uses a few different accelerometers to count steps so it's hard to fool it. The NIH even studied it and it's very accurate for number of steps but a little less accurate measuring distance.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    youdontknowwhatyousaw Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've had no problems with either the fitbit one or the fitbit zip counting driving. The fitbit flex was really bad about counting repetitive hand motions and driving as steps and not counting steps when I was pushing a cart or stroller, I returned it. The Jawbone Up did the same thing, but, not with nearly as many "false" steps counted.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've got a fitbit Zip and have never had false readings while driving/biking/go-carting etc.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I like the idea of using the Drivebit app. Will do some more reading before I decide which activity tool to buy.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You can use the Drivebit app (free app in the Google play store) on your phone to track the time you are driving (it will add the activity to your fitbit profile so you won't count steps while driving). Or, you can manually enter the activity into the fitbit site and will not count steps for the time you specify for the activity.

Oh, now this is really cool!