Found a New Workout, HIGHLY recommend (Kinect)

Options
Ok, so its only been a week, and it was a rather significant initial investment, but I can not say enough great things about the XBOX Kinect! My husband and I ran out to buy the gaming system the day after we played at a friends' house. It is sooo much fun, hardly feels like a "workout" while you're playing, but the burn we felt the next day inspired us to trade in our Playstation 3 and a few games, and get this new system.

The Kinect Sports game has us jumping and running (long jump, hurdles, sprints) and moving our arms (throwing javelin or discus, or playing table tennis) and MOVING our bodies all over the place. We havent found an activity we dont like yet! Volleyball, tennis, track and field, white water rafting (a decent core workout), soccer (awesoe leg workout), bowling, boxing (my husband was panting half way through!), and several other sports are included in the disk that comes with the system, and we added the Sports game.

I also just did the Biggest Loser game this afternoon. AMAZING! It analyzed my body (got my height wrong, but other measurements were right) as I just stood there. (And I was able to manually correct my height). I did their 30 minute fitness evaluation to determine my level of fitness, and told it I wanted an 8 week program, and I was on my way! It gives me a calendar of activities to complete and I will weigh in every week. I think I can play/compete against our friends who own the game (or anyone here with the game, willing to share gamertags and compete for weekly Biggest Loser points?)....and the workout burned 453 calories in 40 minutes according to my heart rate monitor. (It would take me 45 minutes of running on the treadmill to burn that many calories.....and while I enjoy that, this is a nice, fun alternative!)

I looked here for some reviews before buying the games we chose, but didnt find a whooole lot of info, so I thought I'd give the recommendation for someone else who might be looking for a GAME to play to lose weight and have fun :)

Replies

• Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    Thanks for that review. I've had the xbox Kinect for couple of days now and I love it. I've got "Your Shape" and I love the fact that it monitors what you're doing and tells you how if you're not doing an exercise correctly. I think I'll get "The Biggest Loser" now I've read a review. Just one thing, do you need a lot of space for that game as my front room isn't too big?
  • sbranaghan
    sbranaghan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    We just got the Kinect too and I have been hesitant to buy any of the weightloss games. I think you are the 3rd person who has said positive things about the Kinect and The Biggest Loser game :)
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Good to know. We have an Xbox and have been mulling over whether or not to add the Kinect. I may have to head to Best Buy soon!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    We dont need much room at alll for the Biggest Loser game. And i LOOVE that it tells me exactly how I need to move to correct my form (Raise your arms, kick higher, dip lower, dont dip so low, etc) Really like it a lot!
    Now, the boxing and tennis games can get crowded in our family room if I play against my husband....one of us WILL get smacked in the shoulder any day now :) But that's just because we get rowdy and competitive :)
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Would anyone out there say if the Kinect is better the the Wii system? Hubby and are are looking at both and are undecided. Any input on pros and cons would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
  • reikichris
    Options
    I love our Kinect! It is great family fun and feels like a good workout.
  • dshea55
    dshea55 Posts: 14
    Options
    The wii cant tell you if your doing the moves right or even if your doing them at all. easier to cheat! I really want the kinect but i need to save up a little bit before i get it!! but thank you for the rocommendations!!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I have Wii and Kinect, and as long as Kinect doesn't start getting a bunch of bugs, I'm afraid my Wii is going to see a lot less playing time in the future. I have Zumba, and I haven't quite finished a workout yet :embarassed: because it kicks my butt. Like 200 calories in the first 10 minutes. Yea.

I was debating the Biggest Loser game, and y'all have SOLD me on it. I'll be adding that to my arsenal. And I ADORE EA Sports Active, but will probably buy 2 for Kinect rather than on my Wii. Yay for awesome ways to work out!! :drinker:
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    We also have a Wii, and I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the Kinect over the Wii. HIGHLY :)

The Wii requires that you hold a controller in your hand all the time. The Kinect is completely hands-free. There arent as many Kinect games available yet, but Im sure there will be more options soon, as popularity grows.

The technology behind the kinect is really amazing. It shows your whole body (and even our dog if he walks in front of us as we run in place!) on the screen and anazlyzes every move you make. Really cool and FUN!
  • spiritgurl
    spiritgurl Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    We got the Kinect for my kids and we all love it. The Dance Central is so much fun and what a workout...I'll have to check out BL game. I have the Wii as well but I find the Kinect sensors are much better. The variery of games is much smaller compared to the Wii just because it's new.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    There is a Jenny McCarthy Wii exercise game that corrects your moves. It comes with a little camera and everything.

As far as the Wii vs XBOX goes, it depends on what you're going to use it for. If it's just for exercise games or for more. The Kinect does sound better for exercise, but you have to be sure you're not going to get burnt out on it and that you'll actually exercise all the time at home. (For me, that's not something that works.) But if you'll also be playing regular video games you need to look at what's available for each system. My husband and I prefer the range of games that the Wii has to offer. We have a PS3 that never gets played because the Wii controls themselves are so much more interactive and fun. And Mario is waaaaay better than Halo!
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    We got Kinect for Christmas and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! We have Dance central, and both sports games, and sonic and zumba. They are all great! The best workout of those are zumba. I burn about the same as running. Its fun too. Doesn't seem like no time and its over. My sister and I play at the same time. That helps too. I have wanted to get the biggest looser but didn't know how it was. I may have to add it to my list now. :)

I would say that the Kinect is better workout to me. The Wii Fit Plus is Great too so I think it just depends on what you like. The wii fit plus has mini games so you can change it up but I think Kinect Zumba is a better workout that burns more calories in the same amount of time. :)
  • njripley
    Options
    Hi

We've got Kinect, you're right it is fantastic!!! Are you on xbox live, if so add me as a friend my gamertag is daisyvontease

Nicola
  • njripley
    Options
    We have both Wii and Kinect. I think it depends what you want to do, we find that family games are played usually on the Wii. Although my girls do enjoy the kinect games too.

Anyone with a Kinect can add me as a friend. My gamertag is daisyvontease.

Nicola